The worst pizza in the world?

steveinbsas said:
I love happy endings...

But is this really the end?

(We can hope.)

No it's NOT!, this NY hate pizza thread must go on until the yanks learn how to make a decent pizza dough topped with a proper sauce.

No, there is not hope it's irreversible.

why do you people get so uptight about pissa.....kinhell its not real food....the most unhealthy thing you can eat...and all you do is moan about it....well don't fucking buy it then......if you went to a whore house and you weren't happy with the experience
well....don't waste yur money again.....heheheh make yur own lazy fuckers...hehehe

A lot of it is mental state.
I grew up in the boroughs of NYC, so to me pizza is thin, crispy crust with tomato sauce and mozzarella. (12 cents a slice is the cheapest price I can recall). When I left the city I wouldn't even think of trying the pizza, just looking at it told me enough.
At one low point I was out in the hinterlands, unemployed, and had some food stamps. I tried Safeway frozen pizza. Talk about hitting a low.
Fast forward a few decades and I'm in Silicon Valley (California), and there is a very popular pizza place (can't recall the name, either Ciro's or Cicero's, I think it's in Cupertino). They make a replica of the lousy frozen pizza! Basically a big Ritz cracker with stuff on top, and the place does incredible business!

Anyway, I've adjusted my pizza acceptance over the years. Main thing is expectations. I can eat Ugi's pizza: it's cheap, it's quick, it's there. But it's not pizza -- it's a variation on toast and cheese. It is not easy for someone who doesn't eat red meat to get a cheap meal on the run in BsAs, so yeah, on a busy day it's faux-pizza and empanadas.
But when I want pizza I'll seek it out. I lived in Palermo Viejo for a while and there was a place, take-out only, that I think did good pizza; a hole-in-the-wall with bicycle delivery. I'm wondering how many of these side-street neighborhood places are turning out impressive pizzas. It's not easy to go exploring because they don't have tables for you to eat at, and they usually only sell whole pies.

Lee said:
Actually if you want pizza worse than here have pizza in Brazil.
That pizza is just terrible!

That's putting it mildly.
To be fair, you may occasionally stumble upon a place with a wood-fired oven and excellent pizza. But don't get your hopes up.
The worst is small town pizza, crappy dough and catsup sauce. And squeeze bottles of mayonnaise and catsup on the counter. And some places with wood ovens are turning crappy pizza as well.

The most cockamamie excuse for pizza I ever saw (outside of the Ritz cracker mentioned above) was by a guy from Sao Paulo who moved to a tourist town and set up a pizza place. He pre-cooked the crust, and it was like a very big papadam (for those who don't know what that it, think of it as a sort of pizza-sized Pringles potato chip, maybe a little thicker). When someone ordered a pizza he'd get one of these crusts, put on the toppings then pop it into the over till the cheese melted etc. I didn't try it a second time.

I think for a lot of people who come here, especially those from North America, they get to BsAs and see small local food shops, bakeries, butchers, granjas etc and with it comes the expectation of better quality, as in the days before the consumer world consisted almost solely of the supermarkets they are familiar with. When the charm of the shops wears off and they realize the quality of things is not so good it can be a real disappointment. I have a friend who'll be visiting soon who appreciates fine dining (I don't, I just enjoy food I like). He's full of romantic expectations of olde Europe, fresher, tastier produce, famous Argie beef, et al. I'm trying to prepare him for what to expect but even though he's never been here he knows better. This will be fun.

I tried the rectangular mozzarella/tomato/basil pizza over at Voulez Bar in Palermo and was unexpectedly pleased. Even the food critic in Buenos Aires Herald liked the chow they serve at that joint. Dutara is right; don't get your hopes up over the promise of tasty cuisine. Last week I ordered spinach raviolli at a place in Recoleta that was the worst thing imaginable: Canned raviolli with something "dark" in the center, swimming in watered down catsup. Yuck! It made Sphagetti-Os look gourmand in comparison.

El Palacio de la Pizza on 751 Corrientes ...gets my vote for a good pizza but it is up for debate!!!
the bad thing here is nobody likes tomato sauce and spice.. so most pizzas are just dough and cheese and not much else.... and there is way too much ham... jamon is on everything!!! I miss pepperoni it is not similar to longanesia!!
so just eat pasta , empanadas and bife de lomo!!! cheers

I'm retracting myself from my own post's supporting the argentine pizzas and an apology is extended to the ones who sustained that the pizza in this country sucks.....Well, you all are right, but not only that the white bread, the milanesas and empanadas also sucks.

For some reason after the 1995 and after 2001 crisis something got lost in the preparation, ingredients and cooking of these food icons in the local cuisine of this country....call it economic crisis, fast food chains, mass production with little care to continue with the local procedures to keep the artisan trade that it all changed for the worst.
It wasn't like this before, pizza taste of each toppings was good and distintive, empanadas too went down the hill, the filling changed with no real taste, milanesas are a disaster they seem like Norwegian dry cod in their texture and looks, the humble facturas changed too, and the sad list could go long enough to make me cry.

The white bread is a shame I've to find yet a bread that I remember was cooked as should be and can't find any of the producing shops be these private panaderias or mass produced supermarket.

Pan Flauta, Pan Frances nowadays called more trendy in this country as Baguettes are another disaster, apologies to French Jurist who disputed with me those facts, I agree with you on this, they suck.

Lucas said:
I'm retracting myself from my own post's supporting the argentine pizzas and an apology is extended to the ones who sustained that the pizza in this country sucks.....Well, you all are right, but not only that the white bread, the milanesas and empanadas also sucks.

For some reason after the 1995 and after 2001 crisis something got lost in the preparation, ingredients and cooking of these food icons in the local cuisine of this country....call it economic crisis, fast food chains, mass production with little care to continue with the local procedures to keep the artisan trade that it all changed for the worst.
It wasn't like this before, pizza taste of each toppings was good and distintive, empanadas too went down the hill, the filling changed with no real taste, milanesas are a disaster they seem like Norwegian dry cod in their texture and looks and the sad list could go long enough to make me cry.

The white bread is a shame I've to find yet a bread that I remember was cooked as should be and can't find any of the producing shops be these private or supermarket.

Pan Flauta, Pan Frances nowadays called more trendy in this country as Baguettes are another disaster, apologies to French Jurist who disputed with me those facts, I agree with you on this, they suck.
I recall being in BA in the late 80s and the pizza was good and tasty, same for most of the 90s. So I think you may be on to something with the 2001 crisis theory. Too bad.

I never thought I'd add a comment to this most pointless and boring of threads, but I have to because I see that finally somebody hit the nail's head on the subject.

I agree 100% that the food quality (together with the quality of pretty much everything else in the country) used to be much better and has gone down in recent years as a direct consequence of the many economic meltdowns that happened in succession.

People providing goods and services had to adapt to carry on trading with less of everything and still make some profit, so the quality is damaged by a number of compromises.

Maybe expert artisans leaving the business (or the country) out of frustration or after losing their capital and not training newer generations to carry on after them can also be counted as a factor.

Same can be said about every other art and craft that requires traditional skills: building, tailoring, etc

NoPat said:
I never thought I'd add a comment to this most pointless and boring of threads,

I guess they are not so boring and pointless any more, eh? :p

My favorite pizza places are Piola, Filo & Morelia. We tried Siamo Nel Forno, but did not like. This is because we choose poorly. We decided to be adventurous and went with the special menu that was recommended by the staff. Sadly, it included a pizza with potato on it. It was a carb on carb nightmare! ;) If you go, don't get that one.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the thick based focaccia style pizzas. So I don't have an recommendation for those.

Back