There is actually a small amount of coffee grown in Argentina

Redpossum

Registered

Apparently in the 70's there was a drive to encourage coffee production in Salta, but Menem and his 1-1 convertibility deal brought a flood of imports and all the small fincas went bust.

Weird story here. It says the lady who owns the place has to cross into Bolivia and then back again to get to and from her finca. Anyhow, Café Baritú is the name.

Translated version here -

Last edited:
You could probably grow lots of it in Misiones, no? I'm guessing the Mercosur agreement with Brazil makes it cheaper to just import raw beans and roast them here, but from what I've heard the "Industria Argentina" coffee is low quality/cheap beans roasted with sugar added to reduce the bitter taste.

but from what I've heard the "Industria Argentina" coffee is low quality/cheap beans roasted with sugar added to reduce the bitter taste.
Yes that is probably the reason that the majority of the coffee in supermarkets is that Torrado style of roasted with sugar during the processing. Though over the past 15-20 years many independent roasters have appeared who import better quality raw green beans from all over the world, though mostly Peru, Columbia and Brazil. Brazil also produces a lower quantity of better quality beans compared to their typical export. Roasting can start as a low overhead business out of a garage. That growth in the local consumer market for these better (or at least different) coffees was the reason the owner discussed in the article decided to revive her old farm.

Last edited:
Roasting can start as a low overhead business out of a garage. That growth in the local consumer market for these better (or at least different) coffees was the reason the owner discussed in the article decided to revive her old farm.
iirc a member here posted about a company in MDQ that just dropped a million dollars on roasting equipment from Brazil because of the growth for the non-Torrado coffee here. I remember friends saying there must be good coffee in Argentina given the number of Italians when I first moved here in the early 2010s and I said you'd think so, but Torrado is only consumed in a handful of countries and Argentina is one of them

The growth of "proper" coffee houses is one of the "culinary" themes here over the last few years. I also recall you couldn't find a decent coffee here 10 years ago. Fortunately, there are now several. I see a distinct Aussie influence on the coffee scene here with the "flat white" on many coffee house menus now.

The growth of "proper" coffee houses is one of the "culinary" themes here over the last few years. I also recall you couldn't find a decent coffee here 10 years ago. Fortunately, there are now several. I see a distinct Aussie influence on the coffee scene here with the "flat white" on many coffee house menus now.
Flat white has been a massively advertised Starbucks thing for the past 2 years or so.

Back