There Is Snow In The Forecast! Any Skiers/boarders Here?

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Hi everyone! Since we've officially passed the mid-point of Summer I thought this is a timely subject.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I've skied Cerro Catedral as well as Penitentes near the Paso Christo (when I got snowed in on my motorcycle). Am looking at skiing Las Leñas this winter. Was doing some research and I was surprised at how "affordable" the place is. The hotels at the base are advertising 4 people in 2 rooms for 6 nights at $6000 ARG. For comparison I just got back from Skiing the Canyons in Utah and our slope-side condo was $1,500US per person for 5 nights. Yes, it is the best snow on earth, but still! [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Wanted to know if anyone here has skied Las Leñas, what your experience of the place was, and any suggestions for 1) A quick 3-day trip (just to get my fix) or 2) a week-long trip with never-before skied 8 and 12-year old kids. How is the ski school, etc? [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I have yet to find an actual trail map of the mountain. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Relatedly, I've been searching for a ski shop in BsAs. I found one on Federico Lacrozze. The shop is Universo Aventura and sells inline skates in the summer and skis in the winter. Has anyone had any experience with them? I'd like to get my skis sharpened and waxed. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]This ski club link [/background]http://www.clubargentinodeski.com.ar[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]/ appears to be dead. Anyone know of an active ski club here?[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Many thanks in advance.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]GS[/background]

Chilly Chile Ride 015.jpg

The south of the country in the mountains is very cheap right now compare to the beachs and compare to Buenos Aires, all the people that is scaping from the crazy prices on the beach are going to the Bariloche and around it. I got shocked on how cheap it is right now in there.

I've been dying to ski lenas since before coming to Argentina, most of my friends from my skiing days many of whom are professional freeskiers and other industry professionals all say that it is the best ski area, terrain wise, on the planet.

Here is a photo one of my friends took back in 2005 at las lenas

biglines_46058.jpg

That's a great photo. However, not sure I'd ski that without an airbag - or at least a beacon and friends who know how to search. It looks like the snow pack is showing signs of instability. (that's like telling a crack addict that his addiction will kill him).

Thanks for getting my adrenaline going. I won't be able to sleep tonight.

Let me know when! I still have yet to snowboard here...

I would go for 7-10 days if it was with kids that never skied before. That way they have time to develop a bit, learn to love it, and invite you to ski trips when they are older ;)

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Wanted to know if anyone here has skied Las Leñas, what your experience of the place was, and any suggestions for 1) A quick 3-day trip (just to get my fix) or 2) a week-long trip with never-before skied 8 and 12-year old kids. How is the ski school, etc? [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I have yet to find an actual trail map of the mountain. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]LL is a wonderful little resort. The actual village is small and in the middle of NOWHERE! I mean there is virtually 'nothing' within 200 kilometers.. Somehow during the Mennan era the entire resort AND area was sold to the Malaysians, who obviously no NOTHING about skiing. An upgrade to high speed lifts would be a GREAT improvement. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]One lift takes you to access the entire mountain. With the altitude it can get quite windy and they will close that main lift to the top. There are a couple of the lower runs that are pretty good if that happens but not as good, of course, as getting to the top.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I'm in my 60's and have been skiing since I was 14 living in Anchorage. My favorite mountain ever skied is Jackson Hole, 5 years in a row, back in the 80's and have, over the years, skied most of the Colorado resorts. LL is the only mountain I've ever seen that can compare with Jackson Hole...[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Live in San Rafael two hours away. Hope to get up there more this season. It is one of the reasons I picked this location to live actually. Perillo Chile is also about 6 hrs away. UNBELIEVABLE scenery around THAT resort. I have wanted to ski Perillo since I was a teenager and will one of these seasons soon..[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]BTW, LL has not had a decent snow season, till last year, in the 4 years I've been here.....[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TC[/background]

Back