There is something I don't get...

I only want to reiterate that whilst the original post has merit in its content I have no idea why a local would rush to this site or what they would hope to gain from such...I really don't buy the charitable offers of " I know more than any expat" as most issues here deal with tramites, buying/renting property as a foreigner, expat food. And to repeat what many have said- ojala that I ever had time in my own country to be logging onto sites for expats in Ireland moaning about the dire state of the nation- it reeks of insecurity to need to know what people say about your country..a bit like reading your husband's mail to be honest. If you truly believe this is a great country then we are all a load of t*ssers and aren't worth your time.

ALELI said:
.. why don't u guys just leave this complicated, corrupted, confusing developing country with bad food and arrogant women and go back home

I think the Argentinian women are lovely, not at all arrogant. Maybe it's because I am drop dead gorgeous;)

as ElQueso said if it's got beans on the tin you expect beans when you open it,like this site.It' not about the trivia of spicy food that happens evrywhere..."that curry I had last night was crap"...but there are valid complaits about services here compared to the home country where ever that is.Argentines tend to except the poor quality of
it with the attitude of "well nothing will happen if I complain so whats the point".Example,I took a phone to be checked under a warranty was told 15 working days.Went back on time no phone.Went back three days later same again.I did express my ire but no reaction.Well eventually got a replcement phone 31 working days later.Complaining may make one feel a little better but in general nobody takes any notice,don't mention banks.....suerte.

Just to say,my abogado,nice bloke,thinks I am crazy living in "a third world country full of crime and murders like Argentina" his words.Maybe I am but still here.

SaraSara said:
In my viey, citygirl's comments are very balanced - not bitchy at all.

Someone commented on how we Argentines love to complain and criticize everything under the sun. It is quite true, but some take offense when expats do it. It's a case of "I have the right to beat up my little brother if I want to, but don't you dare touch my second cousin".

I couldnt put my finger on it until I read this comment. I've been here for a year and a half... but this is as clear and true as it gets.

Has happened to me on more than a handful of occasions.

Which I totally understand. I can talk badly about my family but god help you if you do:D

I do think that this is one of the reasons a lot of people bitch and complain on this board. It's a lot more polite to do it here than with a porteño in person.

And back to the original poster - I actually agree to an extent. I don't understand why people who are truly miserable (and there are some people on the board that seem constantly negative) stay here if they hate it that much? Why choose to subject yourself to a place that makes you so miserable ALL THE TIME? For me, life is too short to be someplace you truly hate.

I enjoy BsAs but if/when the day comes that the costs of being here outweigh the benefits, I'll leave.

I haven't been here that long, but it seems every place has its pros and cons. At times I think about how different it is here (little products I miss, or security) but I also rave about the public transportation here,, the food (whoa, submarinos!) and the niceness of the people I've come across. If anything I think my boyfriend, an Argentine, complains a lot more about living here than I do since he's been here his whole life. And I know I certainly complain much more about the US (where I'm from) than here since it is what I know the most about. I'm happier living here than I was back in the States for years, but I think this has more to do with personal circumstances than the physical location of the city.

It's all about the costs and benefits, and every place in the world is a mixture of both.

I agree that its simple Orwellian....but in a different way. Its like going to somebody else's home and telling them its ugly. Its just plain rude. And I've never met an Argentine that travelled to Australia or the US and talk about everything that is wrong with our country. They seriously could in all due respect - there are many things that they could criticise, but they are generally very respectful.

I think that all expats should have a little more respect. And also get honest about why they are here or leave. Simple. Criticise your own home, your own family but never somebody else's. and i don't agree with the comment about having to move here for work. If you hate it that much, get another job back home.

I really, really love it here and I'm very aware of the 'faults' - but I choose to either try and make a difference and improve things (and I feel passion for economic and political reform here) or accept them as they are. We have many issues in the US and Aus as well, we just try and hide them from the world or pretend we are 'better'. Either way, I'm always grateful for the positives here and live here because of those things - the culture, art, passion, controversy, the creative inspiration of this amazing city and the most wonderful and kind people who teach me something every day. Even if its just one new Spanish word.

In Australia and the US I hear many people complain about immigrants just being there for the 'opportunity' that our countries offer. So, my question is, what 'opportunities' are you all taking advantage of here - because you would not be here otherwise. Lets be grateful for whatever they are.

And for those of you wondering why a local might look on this site and have their say.....I am an Aussie, but have spent some time in the US as well. If ANYONE criticised the US or Australia to the extent people have here about Argentina, most of us would defend it or tell people to go home. So be fair on that one. Please. The pride of these people is something to be commended, not criticised. And you are in THEIR home after all.

allisonk said:
And for those of you wondering why a local might look on this site and have their say.....I am an Aussie, but have spent some time in the US as well. If ANYONE criticised the US or Australia to the extent people have here about Argentina, most of us would defend it or tell people to go home. So be fair on that one. Please. The pride of these people is something to be commended, not criticised. And you are in THEIR home after all.
My experience with people has been so different. Practically everyone I've come across (who are foreigners here) talk about how much they like it here. Sometimes we discuss the things we miss from back home, but it's never a criticism of Argentina itself. Of course people will complain if they are mugged or something, but even those I know who have been targets still talk about how nice it is to live here and experience life here. I don't think I've heard anyone out of those I've known here (Argentines, Europeans, Americans) complain about more about Argentina than the US.

Back