They are selling off La Patagonia...and cheap

Oh sales, I assumed you met business in general. You are correct, very few are buying. I think that trend is slowing reversing however as people are deciding to convert their soft assets (45% less in some cases) into hard assets, like premium real estate.

if i had the money id have a lake front house in bariloche myself. but i dont.
but, the stuff about volcanoes, seismic activity is true.
i sure hope none of them go off, and 99.9 chances of 100 not in our lifetime (although those are just odds i made up). but see that pretty little snow covered mountain in the back of this picture i took at the bariloche resort of Llao Llao, thats the volcano Tupangato. last erupted in 1986. luckily not very much.

DSC01982.jpg

Tupungato657021555
18px-Erioll_world.svg.png
33°21′16″S 69°46′7″W / 33.35444°S 69.76861°W / -33.35444; -69.768611986Tupungatito600019680
18px-Erioll_world.svg.png
33°24′S 69°48′W / 33.40°S 69.80°W / -33.40; -69.801986
i think my mother told me the andes mountains were pushed up into mountains by something like giant prairie dogs, but i dont believe that.

Diego, I know of a lake front for US$410K, that makes at least 25K in rental income, in case you find the money.

Lucas said:
Indeed caution is paramount here but if John Travolta, Benetton, Jane Fonda ex-husband Ted Turner and heaps of others invested in Patagonia why cannot you?...always still Soulskier living down there for some intelligent and wise advice.

If you admit that caution is paramount then, how do you suggest the potential buyer use caution?

One should NEVER attempt to buy too close to the border with Chile. Perhaps, this changes a bit in Rio Negro. I am not sure. But, I have heard of lots of foreigners who did buy in Rio Negro and lost whatever money they had put into the purchase.

I would suggest that anyone who wants to buy only put a very small downpayment until they receive the title. Then, pay the rest.

Foreigners/tourism are big business Argentina. They are all moving targets whether they realize it or not.

Recoleta Carolina said:
If you admit that caution is paramount then, how do you suggest the potential buyer use caution?

One should NEVER attempt to buy too close to the border with Chile. Perhaps, this changes a bit in Rio Negro. I am not sure. But, I have heard of lots of foreigners who did buy in Rio Negro and lost whatever money they had put into the purchase.

I would suggest that anyone who wants to buy only put a very small downpayment until they receive the title. Then, pay the rest.

Foreigners/tourism are big business Argentina. They are all moving targets whether they realize it or not.

Obviously doing due deligence goes without saying, anywhere in the world, especially in ARG. However, I question how you have heard of foreigners getting taken advantage of in Rio Negro. Again, the Escape Artist article by Douglas Harris is not correct.

Here is an article my wife wrote on the old process, before the new resolution was pasted in March, which I posted about earlier.
http://transitionsabroad.com/listin...ying-real-estate-in-bariloche-argentina.shtml

pericles said:
The topic I believe Soulskier is Patagonian Land not tourism . The truth is that sales are down as per all records.

Good catch, Pericles! Since when does buying land in Patagonia have anything to do with renting a house for vacation.

At any rate, for anyone wanting to roll the dice, wait another year. Prices are coming down significantly.

Recoleta Carolina said:
Good catch, Pericles! Since when does buying land in Patagonia have anything to do with renting a house for vacation.

At any rate, for anyone wanting to roll the dice, wait another year. Prices are coming down significantly.

Buying land has to do with vacation rentals when an investor wants a return on their investment.

Where did you read prices are coming down significantly, the same place your read foreigners that buy are losing their money?

soulskier said:
Obviously doing due deligence goes without saying, anywhere in the world, especially in ARG. However, I question how you have heard of foreigners getting taken advantage of in Rio Negro. Again, the Escape Artist article by Douglas Harris is not correct.

Here is an article my wife wrote on the old process, before the new resolution was pasted in March, which I posted about earlier.
http://transitionsabroad.com/listin...ying-real-estate-in-bariloche-argentina.shtml

Soulskier,

I do not read Escape Artist and I have never even heard of Douglas Harris. I think that you are a bit obsessed with me because on some level you know that I know what I am talking about. Anyone who wants to thank you for your great advice hasn't gotten very far yet. You troll every tourist forum in existence promoting your properties and other people's properties. I have no problem with that and I could care less. It is strictly business. Why don't you do something different for a change and help out all of the concerned people on this forum with information on the investment visa as oppossed to the rentista/pensionado visa.

But, I do care about lying to naive foreigners. Which is not to say that many people have not gotten their title to the properties that they have purchased in Patagonia. But, there are many who got screwed. In fact, I was at an expat dinner a couple of months ago and a person sitting at my table just mentionned that there are some lawsuits in process now driven by foreigners who thought that they had purchased property in the Rio Negro area but in fact, lost their money and the property.

soulskier said:
Buying land has to do with vacation rentals when an investor wants a return on their investment.

Where did you read prices are coming down significantly, the same place your read foreigners that buy are losing their money?

Soulskier,

Give it up! Prices are falling all over Argentina just as they are worldwide. And, my guess is that prices will go down more over the next year.

But, never lose hope!:) It is all cyclical and prices eventually will rebound.

RC, I cordially invite you to come sit on my couch and share a mate with me. Then you can tell me about falling house prices in Patagonia.

BTW, I just talked to our escribano and we are signing the escritura on Friday.

As far as trolling message boards, the tourist ones are a form of marketing and also providing information for tourists. I have been doing it for years and offer advice anywhere in ARG I can, not just our properties, so thanks for reading.

I am not obsessed with you, however I live year round in Bariloche and know of no person that has lost there property, on any level. I do have 5 friends that received title this year alone. Furthermore the new resolution is now in place and it is automatic, as posted on our blog.

So what I am doing is making sure that the truth is posted, not by someone living in Recoleta that went to dinner with someone who heard that there is a lawsuit.

As far as our investment visa, I would be happy to share that information with anyone interested. I hadn't realized anyone cared.

Back