Things near Las Heras and Callao (Spanish School, Gym and Tango)

Joe

Registered
I moved ... again ... this time near Las Heras and Callao.

I am looking for three things:
- Spanish Language school
- Tango class for beginners
- Gym

I was hoping for something in walking distance. Any recommendations?

Also any recommendations for Spanish tutors or dance instructors?

Hi Joe,

I live nearby. There are both a Megatlon and a SportClub in the area. The Megatlon is at Arenales (check their website for the exact location). The SportClub is at Paraguay and Marcelo T Alvear-- about a 10-12 minute walk from where you are. I joined SportClub and have been pleased. They just remodeled the club, so it's very new and shiny.

Sorry I cannot help you with the rest!
~ Jenn

Reactions: Joe
JennPiscopo said:
Hi Joe,

I live nearby. There are both a Megatlon and a SportClub in the area. The Megatlon is at Arenales (check their website for the exact location). The SportClub is at Paraguay and Marcelo T Alvear-- about a 10-12 minute walk from where you are. I joined SportClub and have been pleased. They just remodeled the club, so it's very new and shiny.

Sorry I cannot help you with the rest!
~ Jenn

Thanks Jenn,

Do you know if these clubs require a doctor check. I went to two no frills gyms one on Libertad near Juncal and one in San Telmo on Peru near Belgrano and both of these did not require a doctor's check. But I did find a big gym nearby and they require a doctor's check. Isthis something only the big gyms do?

Yes, the do require the doctors' exams-- a pain in the you-know-what. However, they should have a doctor on-site who can perform the exam for you.

~ Jenn

You can check online in the various tango magazines that have a listing of group classes and try out the teachers until you find one that suits you. You eventually will have to travel away from Recoleta in order to dance because there are no milongas held in your neighborhood. It depends on your age and what style of tango you are interested in learning.

El Tangauta www.eltangauta.com

Diostango www.diostango.com.ar

La Milonga Argentina www.lamilongaargentina.com.ar

I was going to recommend Cacho Dante's beginner class on Wednesday at 21 hs. at Las Heras 2416 piso 1, but he isn't listed currently in the guide or magazines. That's the only group class I know of in your area.

You may end up traveling up to an hour by bus to arrive at your class or favorite place to dance.

Just an update on the gyms and prices in this area:

The closes gym that I could find is: Deportes Total at Montevideo 1536. They have a pretty extensive selection of classes. Price for one month is $210. But they want $60 for a doctors exam.

I ended up spruging and going with on Megatlon (Arenales 1930). 340 PESOS A MONTH! The most I've ever spent on a gym anywhere! But brand new equipment and they just let me sign a waiver for the health exam.

Couldn't find any no frills gyms in this area.

I know the Academy of Recoleta, on Ayacucho 1571 - between Las Heras and Pacheco de Melo is offering Tango Classes.

Hi Joe

I have just done some classes at Buenos Aires Acamdemia...they are in the centre in Hipólito Yrigoyen 571, piso 4.
They I thought they were great...

Back