Thinking of moving to BA

I don't know about you, but I've been to all of those countries in the last 4 months and found each more expensive than Argentina. That was also confirmed by extensive reasearch our company did in looking for LAM ooffice sites. For the tourist, Hotels in particular are much more expensive as are restaurant meals. All have more stable, booming economies and considerably higher salary scales.

Now with Argentina's inflation, that could be on it's way to changing. The peso will devalue further, leaving those earning dollars in better shape than others.

As for rent, it's one of the last bargains left in Baires compared to the states unless you're looking for super luxury. And even then, cheaper than any major US city

deeve007 said:
If you can't live well here on almost US1k / week then you seriously need to review your lifestyle, sorry. I'm going on roughly $250 for myself and living very well.

Hello
Thank you all for your posts. I'm also thinking about moving to BA for 6 to 12 months. I also work from home (half time) and would need to live on $1.700 a month. I'm single, I'd possibly be sharing a flat with another single friend. I'm pretty low maintenance (have been a poor student for years).

So, you say you live on $250 - I assume rent is not included in that? Do you think I would even be able to save some of my $1.700 then, if I try?
And in which area do you live, may I ask?

I was in BA last year as a tourist and I just need to come back for an extended period.

As a single person, you can rent a decent studio for $500-700/month, in a good area. I'd recommend either Palermo or San Telmo (I'm currently in Recoleta, but moving to Palermo in a month).

If I go out I usually spend on average US$50, and that's for a pretty big night, would be half that if I'm just eating dinner and a bottle of wine (for example).

So if you're not going out every single night, let's say maybe 3 or 4 nights a week, then you're probably talking all up 1k - 1.4k / month and you can have a good time here. Hang out with more locals and it can be a lot less, with potentially more fun.

You can also find a share place with a local (craigslist) and potentially pay just US$300 or $400 a month for rent with no bills. And instant local friends!

Definitely agree with Deeve's budgeting here. I think both Falco and the OP will be perfectly comfortable on your respective budgets.

Thanks guys :) This helps a lot. I realize that there are cheap ways to live and expensive ways to live. I'm living as cheap as I possible can right now and that's costing me about $2000 so I can't believe I'll have it worse over there!

Huh - I posted a response last night & it never appeared. :confused:

I'm a little confused about deevee007 budget of 1400.
700 for studio
600 for going out.
So you're already at 1300.

Where do you account for things like groceries, personal care (shampoo, toothpaste, deoderant, etc), getting your hair cut, laundry services, transportation costs (bus or taxi), buying clothes, traveling, phone bills, etc, etc.

Shared app = 300/400 dollar
Small app alone = 700/900 dollar

If you share you should be able to spend over 5000 peso à month, you will be able to have à good life as à single. With just 3000 peso's, you Will need to cut back

I am not counting with airfares, health care and any Bills you might have in your home country or travel

dionysio said:
This is nuts! Brazil, Chile and Uruguay are all cheaper than Argentina and Argentina is far cheaper than the US. !

I have no idea where you go in Brasil but my live in sao paulo, Santos, curitiba or porto alegre Would be roughly 3 times more expensive there then here

Mvd is roughly the same as BA, Santiago à bit more expensive

citygirl said:
Huh - I posted a response last night & it never appeared. :confused:

I'm a little confused about deevee007 budget of 1400.
700 for studio
600 for going out.
So you're already at 1300.

Where do you account for things like groceries, personal care (shampoo, toothpaste, deoderant, etc), getting your hair cut, laundry services, transportation costs (bus or taxi), buying clothes, traveling, phone bills, etc, etc.
I'm taking out 1,000 pesos on roughly a weekly basis, and that's covering all the above outside of any long distance trips. So add bus/flights if you're going somewhere more than a couple of hours away perhaps, but otherwise I'm living the life quite easily on that. Going out 3/4 nights a week, doing a little cooking at home but majority eating out, like my beer, Malbec wine ...etc. I also play indoor football (soccer) once a week (25 pesos), and will shortly be joining a swimming pool at 100 pesos / month, all of which I would expect to be able to cover on my current spending.

So all good in BA! :)

<edit>Oh, and I've been here just over 3 months now FYI, living in Recoleta but about to move to Palermo.</edit>

Back