Thinking To Live In Buenos Aires Seasonally

GuillermoBill

Registered
I've been poking around BAExPats for ideas and experiences. My summer home is in New York's Adirondack Mountains, on the side near Montreal. "Retired" my wife and I live in Mexico for six months to avoid cold weather. Now we wonder about life in Buenos Aires for a couple in their 70s. My wife and I have lived in Chile, and for some 20 years had work in Argentina that justified several visits a year.

The idea we have is to look for an apartment in Flores or Caballito. What is unknown is the range social activities available - we speak Spanish and have in the past not had any expat community involvement - not in Santiago de Chile or Buenos Aires.

I'll keep reading the different forums - there seems to be a lot of discussion on just about everything.

Bill

If you are retired, speak Spanish and enjoy the food, it is a no brainer.

I am 73 retired originally from Long Island.N,Y. and have lived and workedi n B.A.since 1979.If you speak Spanish already know the country with its pros and cons,it's not a bad choice. It is very economical in U$D terms If you come in say Oct. and leave in early May even better.There is plenty of cultural and intellectual activity especially if your Spanish is fluent.Give it a try and come around to the Coffee Chats when your here.

My wife and I are in our sixties, and we do just that- live in Buenos Aires seasonally. We love it.
I think pretty much ANY social activity is available, especially if you speak fluent spanish.
We find the city perfect for a seasonal home- no need for a car, as the subway and buses are dirt cheap, safe (aside from some pickpockets on the subway) and run 24/7. Usually our last trip of the night is a taxi - at 3 dollars or so.
We go out all the time to events, usually free or so cheap as to be almost free. There is free music every night, art events, theater, dance, and much more, all over the city.
We have a lot of Argentine friends, and get invited to family events all the time.
We find the city far safer than most american cities, and many european ones. We often take the bus home at 3 am from concerts, and find unaccompanied single women of all ages on the buses, without fear, at any hour of night.
We find that on most things, its cheaper than the USA. We own our own home here, and so dont have rent hassles. We find utilities to be a fraction of our US costs, most food cheaper as long as you eat local. We adapt, and dont whine over the lack of imports- which is certainly a real thing- many imports are impossible to find or very expensive.
As part timers, we bring down the things that are unavailable every year- mostly electronics, and high end items from europe.

I wouldnt recommend Flores- its just too far from the interesting stuff. Caballito, though, is very nice. I would also consider Collegiales, and Almagro and Villa Crespo. V Crespo, in particular, is blossoming, with tons of new, great restaurants, art galleries, interesting people, and small bars. And its close in, easy to get to many places from. my guess is V. Crespo real estate prices will double in the next five years.

Buenos Aires Number One city to live in Latam... According to a study by the Economist, as reported by Clarin today,

Quote;
Buenos Aires volvió a trepar arriba en un ranking que valora a las mejores ciudades para vivir de todo el globo. Ocupa el puesto 62 entre 140, seguida entre las latinoamericanas por Santiago de Chile (64) y San Juan de Puerto Rico (67). ¿Dónde? Se trata de un informe que elabora una unidad del grupo británico The Economist. Santiago (Chile) y San Juan (Puerto Rico) son las otras dos ciudades destacas por este trabajo, que evalúa treinta factores relacionados con cultura, educación, medio ambiente, salud e infraestructura, entre otras características de las aglomeraciones urbanas.

Buenos Aires is what it is. For some people, its right, for others, its wrong. I think its a spectacularly bad place for 20 somethings with no real skills, no savings, and who want to get a job and live on pesos cheaply.
But for seasonal living by adults, its great. I know a half dozen couples from North America who do this, and enjoy themselves immensely.

For those with the economic means to live here seasonally and speak Spanish - I think it would be an absolutely lovely choice. And you're a direct flight from JFK.

Lots of options to consider - I love Belgrano as well. Caballito is really nice. V. Crespo as Ries said. Lots of options to consider. And the joy is if you're only here seasonally, I personally would be loath to buy an apt. Come down, rent a place and enjoy without the headache of owning. That way you get to try new barrios :)

For prospects of buying a new apartment in 2016 - which barrios would you guys recommend for 'good value for money' in years to come?

Palermo, Belgrano, Villa Crespo, Caballito?

Back