this long apartment hunt...any suggestions?

RobinsonGO

Registered
Hello Helpful All,
My girlfriend and I have been on the apartment hunt for over a month now. We were first trying to rent a regular apartment, 2 year lease, we finally found something perfect at the right price in Las Canitas. We were told everything was good to go and by the time I went to the office to put money down, we were told that they needed my girlfriends payment stub (recibo de sueldo). She just started her job so she wont have it for another month, we offered as many other proposals as we could come up with and nothing worked. We have switched our focuses and are now currently looking for temporaries. We have tried argenprop.com and zonaprop.com and have had only little success. We are planning on being here for up to a year or year and a half until we head back to the states.
So, I suppose we are both getting slightly frustrated in the amount of time this is taking.

What I am asking; is if anyone has any better websites to try, names of good real estate agents, or friends who have a beautiful apartment and about to leave. (maybe because they cant stand the price of bottled water or the cant find ketchup).

Any help is more than appreciated.
Saludos.
Andrew

try soloduenos.com those are owners direct.

They seem a little over our price range but thanks for the suggestion. I will keep at the search.

nikad said:
try soloduenos.com those are owners direct.

In general the properties on Soloduenos are dearer than many listed properties on realtors windows. Most sales are speculative sales in Buenos Aires and many listings you see never sell or rent .

Many people falsely believe that by paying commission they pay more . In most cases the direct sales of purchasing properties can be more expensive overall and with the added disavantage of no legal recourse

perry said:
In general the properties on Soloduenos are dearer than many listed properties on realtors windows. Most sales are speculative sales in Buenos Aires and many listings you see never sell or rent .

Many people falsely believe that by paying commission they pay more . In most cases the direct sales of purchasing properties can be more expensive overall and with the added disavantage of no legal recourse

I believe that dealing directly with the owner might help them out since they tend to be more flexible than RE agencies. As per prices, some might be dearer, some might not. I believe they are looking for a rental not to purchase (?)

You could try a 'hotel familiar' - mainly for families who don't have money to rent OR buy a house. A good temporary option, I don't know of any on the web but if you walk around Palermo you should see many with a good eye - I saw three walking down Araoz today!

perry said:

I don't want to hijack the thread but have had excellent experiences experiences using soloduenos, both buying and selling.

Perry, do you see soloduenos as competition? I know from personal experience here in Ba that using an agent has cost me more than going direct, but I'm not a real estate agent and have everything to gain from a more efficient sales process.

A few years ago when I first arrived in Ba I was looking for a place to rent. The regular websites didn't offer much so I spent a day walking the streets through the suburbs noting down real estate advertisements and calling the phone numbers, mostly agents. The search was really successful because I got a good feel for the city and within a day found an apartment that suited. Websites, while useful, do not list every property. Hidden gems can be found, you just need to put in some legwork.

RobinsonGO said:
We were first trying to rent a regular apartment, 2 year lease...

...We are planning on being here for up to a year or year and a half until we head back to the states.

What are you planning to do about your two year lease if and when you leave in 12 to 18 months?

Just walk away?

It's no small wonder foreigners here have a hard time finding a "local" property owner willing to give them more than a six month lease.

And some of us call them scammers!

Back