this long apartment hunt...any suggestions?

steveinbsas said:
What are you planning to do about your two year lease if and when you leave in 12 to 18 months?

Just walk away?

It's no small wonder foreigners here have a hard time finding a "local" property owner willing to give them more than a six month lease.

And some of us call them scammers!

That's a bit hard mate....

steveinbsas said:
It's just the truth.

Are you sure? Logical disconnect comes to mind... I can't see how we go from possibly terminating a lease early to 'scamming'. Perhaps I'm missing something.

TrevorCito said:
Are you sure? Logical disconnect comes to mind... I can't see how we go from possibly terminating a lease early to 'scamming'. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Perhaps you're missing integrity (as well as logic).

Terminating a lease early may actually be allowed at the end of six months. If the lease allows for early termination that's great, but f I rented an apartment I owned to someone for two years and I later read (on an expat website) that they only intended to occupy the apartment for 12 to 18 months I would certainly call them scammers.

A lease is a contract. A contract means that you give someone your word. Unless otherwise specified, terminating a lease early may equal breach of contract.

One of the nicest things about living where I do now is that the Argentines here have no contempt for North Americans (or Europeans) on an individual basis (and it looks like I'm the only one here). They do, however, have great contempt for many of their fellow countrymen who live in Capital Federal.

The vast majority of the people here live by a codigo (code) and they only have one palabra (word).

It's the truth.

Thanks for the help from most of you.

First of all Steven, as far as I understand if I am putting money down for a deposit and losing that money after I leave, 6 months before the lease ends, I am giving that to him in retribution of minor inconveniences. I am not trying to scam anybody, and BAexpats does not need any more people pointing fingers. Thanks for all your "truths".

As for the rest of the appreciated help, thanks for the suggestions. I currently live about an hour and a half from Capitol Federal which makes this just a slightly harder challenge. I will keep my eyes open and ears wide. I have made some good progress today. For Lucia, my price range is 2000 pesos or 500 dollars per month, or a little more, I am currently looking in the neighborhoods of Belgrano, Palermo, Barrio Norte, Recoleta and Las Canitas; as they are near work and school. Thanks again, Saludos.

RobinsonGO said:
Thanks for the help from most of you.

First of all Steven, as far as I understand if I am putting money down for a deposit and losing that money after I leave, 6 months before the lease ends, I am giving that to him in retribution of minor inconveniences. I am not trying to scam anybody, and BAexpats does not need any more people pointing fingers. Thanks for all your "truths".

As for the rest of the appreciated help, thanks for the suggestions. I currently live about an hour and a half from Capitol Federal which makes this just a slightly harder challenge. I will keep my eyes open and ears wide. I have made some good progress today. For Lucia, my price range is 2000 pesos or 500 dollars per month, or a little more, I am currently looking in the neighborhoods of Belgrano, Palermo, Barrio Norte, Recoleta and Las Canitas; as they are near work and school. Thanks again, Saludos.

If you sign a contract with no intention of honoring the terms you are committing a fraud.

No matter how you rationalize it or which finger you feel is being pointed at you.

If the lease stipulates that you will lose the deposit if you leave early, you are certainly entitled to do so.

But will you tell the lessor that is a possibility in advance?

You acknowledge you aren't going to stay here. Why make it more problematic for the rest of us?

Well, the vast majority of leases allow for an early departure with a penalty (loss of security deposit).

To the OP, that's a tight price range, especially in the neighborhoods you mention. There probably won't be tons of options - I would say your best bet is to do lots of leg work and check the classifieds in Clarin, La Nacion, etc.

ETA - I just saw you're looking for a temporary apt. If so, the maximum length of a contract for a temporary apt is 6 months. Obviously you can renew it 2x to get you to your 18 months. However finding a furnished apt in your price range won't be easy.

citygirl said:
Well, the vast majority of leases allow for an early departure with a penalty (loss of security deposit).

To the OP, that's a tight price range, especially in the neighborhoods you mention. There probably won't be tons of options - I would say your best bet is to do lots of leg work and check the classifieds in Clarin, La Nacion, etc.

ETA - I just saw you're looking for a temporary apt. If so, the maximum length of a contract for a temporary apt is 6 months. Obviously you can renew it 2x to get you to your 18 months. However finding a furnished apt in your price range won't be easy.

You'll also avoid a lot of "issues" by renting six months at a time.

Yes, This is the position I have come to over this past week. I spoke to an agent today for temporaries who told me that there is a 20 percent retribution to the agent if the term of stay is within 6 months however if renewed and a year is spent in this location the retribution is lowered to 12.5 percent. (Maybe some helpful information for others)

Back