This Years Fruit Crop

Davidglen77

Registered
I am a big fruit consumer. I've found that this year the fruit I've bought in general has been extra GOOD, and some items are really abundant and cheaper than in the past few summers. For example, blueberries, which used to be a huge export item here have been MUCH cheaper - I've paid sometimes as low as 2,50 per container (170 gr). Past summers I've never seen them for less than 8,00 pesos. The same goes for this years cherries, melon, peaches, and I had some unbelieveably sweet fresh apricots as well, even some tropical fruits like pineapple, I bought a whole fresh brazilian pineapple for 10,00 pesos last week. Has anybody noticed these things as well? I know in terms of prices most expats live in Recoleta and Palermo and don't have the luxury of these prices, but if these items are cheaper in Congreso where I live they must have come down in price in other places as well.

I am on the Monserrat/Constitucion border and the fruit is super expensive this year. In 2009 I was fruitarian and lived off fruit and nothing else. I could never do that now. Last night I bought 4 nectarines and one pear, cost me $14! More than in London. A mango is $10. Apples are $14 a kilo, bananas are $12, a papaya is $20. Cherries are $40 a kilo. Nice crop of fruit this year, but horrendous prices.

the craziness of the fruit prices started in 2009 when tomatos were 18 pesos el kg and the people still bought them! Hey, if people are stupid enough to buy them it sends the message that price is no object..You can see this by how fewer people put a price sign in front of their products (which by the way IS THE LAW!) and people just go in and say give me 2 kilos of this, 3 kilos of that etc......It never ceases to amaze me when I go to Coto on San Juan and Pasco and see people load up on veggies when right next door is a green grocer where things are at leat 30% cheaper and better quality. Go figure!

Maybe something about the weather conditions this year? I haven't looked at the stats but it seemed like more rain than usual. My in-laws have a couple orange trees and they've produced exceptionally well.

Bear in mind that a lot of the fruit you mention is imported.I find things like strawberries and blueberries less expensive this year.The blueberry export market has shrunk in Europe as people cut back.I pay 12-15 pesos for a kilo of strawbs for example.Cherries Ibouht between 25 and 32 pesos a kilo.Shop around a little if you can.

Cherries $48 a kilo in Recoleta...!! its likeUS $10 a kilo...???

I've noticed strawberries much cheaper than in previous years as well.

Also delicious cherries for $20/kg at the Belgrano C train station from a vendor on the side of the tracks

I've noticed strawberries much cheaper than in previous years as well.

Also delicious cherries for $20/kg at the Belgrano C train station from a vendor on the side of the tracks

Yes Phillip DT , today strawberries offered by vendor on the side of Ruta 5 , between Lujan and Mercedes KM 90, $15 per kilo!!

I paid $18,00 KG for sweet black luscious cherries at la verdulería "El Monumental" on Entre Rios right off Av. Belgrano, best prices on EVERYTHING in the area.

Back