Foreign owned bars:

Alamo
Million
Gibraltar
Bangalore
Sugar
Shamrock

Other then Shamrock and Gibraltar they are all recently start-ups

P.S. I would just try to buy part of Argentine owned bar and demand they give you a salary. That's probally a lot less risky and a lot more care-free

Actually guys, my day job here and for the last 10 years is as a lawyer so I'd like to think I already have a good one...but I get your drift, obviously would need local counsel as well.

Thanks for all the replies though, much appreciated.

Since no one has pointed it out, as a lawyer from NYC, bring your patience and sense of humor or you will be driven crazy quickly!

I own a business here and have honestly a lot of what I read on this blog (and others) related to bribes, kickbacks, corruption I find to be untrue, in my case at least. I have never once been solicited for a bribe, payoff, or otherwise from the police, tax colletor or otherwise. If you have all of your paperwork and licenses up to date and proof they are paid, nobody will demand anything from you. If anybody has any questions I would be glad to answer them regarding starting an SRL, working with AFIP, ingresos brutos, habilitación municipal or otherwise. Best of luck.
www.candylandshop.com.ar

My thoughts on this is... a hassle to deal with local officials, corrupt police etc.. but as for time to start, is the best time... places are closing, unemployment is rising.. Ok, people are spending less too, but most new places take a couple of years establish, before they are up and running properly with a regular/dependable income.. a large number of new startups go down the toilet in the first 18 months.. but if you can survive now, for the next couple of years, you will survive and be sitting on the pigs back when things get back to normal.
Also finding a place to buy/lease is going to be easier, as empty commercial buildings are more plentiful, as is good staff... more looking for work.
And if you dont take a chance now, maybe when you are 64 you will be sitting in your NYC office hating life and thinking if only i had thrown caution to the wind and jumped on that plane to BSAS..

If it were me thinking of investing money out of my pocket in a specific business in another country during the current international financial situation,

I would consider hiring someone to perform a professional market research study...
to see what the market is like now, the niches, etc....

There are many international companies with offices here who do these kind of things I believe,
also the Commercial Section of your embassy can be contacted for more information on current market & opportunities.... things to beware etc.....

just a personal view...

Davidglen77 said:
I own a business here and have honestly a lot of what I read on this blog (and others) related to bribes, kickbacks, corruption I find to be untrue, in my case at least. I have never once been solicited for a bribe, payoff, or otherwise from the police, tax colletor or otherwise. If you have all of your paperwork and licenses up to date and proof they are paid, nobody will demand anything from you. If anybody has any questions I would be glad to answer them regarding starting an SRL, working with AFIP, ingresos brutos, habilitación municipal or otherwise. Best of luck.
www.candylandshop.com.ar

You don't own a bar, every single bar owned by foreigners has been closed down several times and all pay to stay open

Cerveza, I think you will find the good lawyer recommendation is becuase it's important to find someone who a) knows the law here (very diff than the US) and b) knows the right people (prob even more important!)

And yes, I would say bars are a very different enterprise than starting a traditional biz. That's not just in Arg, you would find the same in almost every city - getting and keeping a liquor license usually requires a very close relationship with officials. ;) Like David, I am in the process of starting the company here and have had no problems but we do everything by the books. But bars are a very different thing.

Best advice - talk to someone who has done it. I can tell you about incorps, etc but mine are corp related, not in the hospitality/bar industry.

One thing to make sure of is that your habilitación municipal is in order and that you have your constancia de CUIT and Ingresos Brutos on hand as EVERYONE you do business with from insurers to suppliers will ask you for these items. The more transactions you do off the books "en negro" the more you will be suceptible to corruption.

Back