Thoughts on starting a bar in Argentina

Mentioned here was Bar Gibraltar in SanTelmo. I have been there several times and at different days of week, and invaribly, the place is packed. They have some pretty decent real-ale (the only place I know sells this in Bs As), great music, superb pool table at the back. This would not be a bad place to go take a drink in for your ideas machine !!

I believe it would be a lot easier to put a bar somewehre other than Bs As, but I would say it would be pretty much vital to both know the lingo, and to have reliable local contacts (and therin lies a big problem in Argentina, as Morcheeba said, who can you trust ?).

Anyway, good luck and please post URL so I can check it out when I get there - you selling any real ale ?

Cheers

I guess we have a different idea of packed, because I have been there atleast 20 plus times and I have never seen more then 50 people. But you are right, there is always a crowd, no matter on what day you go

BlahBlah said:
I guess we have a different idea of packed, because I have been there atleast 20 plus times and I have never seen more then 50 people. But you are right, there is always a crowd, no matter on what day you go

50 Argentineans more than enough to chat to in one night :)

Did you have a game of pool there ? There are a couple of out-of-towners who are DEADLY serious there - they really got a bit arsey when I went in and monopolised the table for the night - the locals loved it though :)

hey!

still interested in opening a bar in BA? some US expats here would really love to and are currently throwing around ideas of obtaining the startup money. All of us have different things to bring to the table and if you are still interested, we would love to talk more about you.

Contact me at [email protected] to further discuss the details.

Thanks,

Katie

Hello everyone.

I am a 42 year old from suburban Detroit and I would be very willing to help startup a bar with great burgers, and pool tables.

I just read where a person started up a gay bar in Bsa for 40000, and he is not having the difficulties with corruption and officials.

I am thinking about opening up a business in BA, but something in the back of my mind keeps taking me back to the situation of what happened with The Emporio Armani boutique that decided they had enough of the BS here and just closed up shop over-night!

Now here we have an international fashion emporium with millions of dollars to back them up with the best lawyers too and they still decided enough was enough. I understand, it got so bad that they even had the Italian embassy involved.

That's very telling.

iStar said:
I am thinking about opening up a business in BA, but something in the back of my mind keeps taking me back to the situation of what happened with The Emporio Armani boutique that decided they had enough of the BS here and just closed up shop over-night!

Now here we have an international fashion emporium with millions of dollars to back them up with the best lawyers too and they still decided enough was enough. I understand, it got so bad that they even had the Italian embassy involved.

That's very telling.

Italians are melodramatic! Ask me how I know.... ;)

Just come on down and spend some time bar-hopping, especially in the expat bars.

But remember that owning and running a bar is very different from patronizing one.

I know from experience.

Hello,
Very exciting business proposal just waiting the right Argentine restaurateur and business partner. Or Expat with CUIT, DNI, Ingresos Brutos, certificado de domicilio and fluent Spanish etc.

I am in the process of opening a new upscale fully licensed vegetarian restaurant. I would like to base it on a healthy eating style café but the interior with be simple and fresh giving Vegetarianism a new look in Buenos Aires.

I have fully researched and searched Palermo, looking for the best locations taking into account high turnover objectives and ROI, and am excited to say I have found one! The restaurant itself needs little work, and with a few interior changes is ready to serve.

I am looking for an Argentine business partner (or Expat as described above) for two reasons. Firstly, I feel it’s important to have a social and cultural awareness of the people I want to visit the restaurant. Secondly, I am an expat living in Buenos Aires and have been for over a year now. Due to the complexity of the starting a restaurant in Buenos Aires, I need someone who already has good knowledge of what needs to be done and how it is possible.

I am looking for a partner and restaurateur who has the following attributes and qualifications:

·degree educated
·owns an Argentine national or dual Argentine Passport. (or Expat as described above)
·owns a property in BsAs, has access to garantia – this is at no risk to you as the entire rent (or purchase) for the restaurant can be paid up front
·has a proven and successful business / entrepreneurial background in BsAs or elsewhere preferably as a restaurateur or bar, hotel owner.
·has an in-depth knowledge of the complexities, red tape and who knows the business processes and practices involved in opening and actually keeping a business up running successfully here in BsAs.
·Has traveled widely and are acutely aware and knowledgeable of European high standards of service and top quality fresh innovative products - think Parisian, London, and Mediterranean.
·a hard working and puritanical contemporary worth ethic
·a natural interest in healthy fine dining.
·an eye for good clean design (shabby chic arty clean in this case)
·Knowledge of contemporary marketing.
·Access to around $50K USD cash for your buy in and start up costs. But this can be discussed.
·Sense of humour and charismatic

Please respond with CV and cover letter highlighting why you think you fit this particular glove. To - paul(at)vegetarianabuenosaires.com

Back