Thousands of Argentines, with terror of being expelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol,

Have you read this forum lately ? Go take a gander at the inflation threads.

ssr said:
and "expats" with money to burn who will just float on to the next hip place

You can characterize and generalize any way you like. You can also add as much circular logic as you can type. Most intelligent people can spot both rather quickly.

Bottom line : It is illegal to be here on a tourist visa for more than 6 months. So whether it's en expat fleeing America or coming for a better life or a wealthy person with money to burn, they must do it legally.

Or isn't that the issue the Republicans are taking issue with ? They don't have a problem with legal immigrants, they have a problem with foreign nationals breaking our laws ?

* Facepalm *

Funny sounds exactly like what's going on with the federal government in the US ?
LAtoBA said:
If you google the definition of a "loophole" it can indeed be defined as an exception, ergo, lack of enforcement.

citygirl said:
I do believe that if the stay exceeds 180 days, one should be filing taxes in Argentina.

My accountant told me that anyone spending more than six months in Argentina is considered a resident for tax purposes.

nikad said:
I do not understand how making it a felony changes things really: US migration laws are enforced, you get caught you are deported, why would they want to host you and feed you before doing so?

Actually this new immigration law in Arizona is exactly about the federal government NOT enforcing the laws. There are also sanctuary cities etc.

No, immigration laws are not being enforced, that's what the entire debate is about.

It looks like to me anybody who overstays a visa, especially long term, is staying in the country illegally, whatever country it happens to be. It is disingenuous to think you are not a "bad illegal" just because you have a bit more money. Illegal is illegal. I don't see how this would be hard to understand. Can't we just call a spade a spade, as the saying goes?

Shrug.. no real dog in this fight but it seems to me if Argentina wanted there to be a maximum stay, they would simply pass a law that stated 180 day maximum (or if they have passed such a law, someone could show me). If the law doesn't exist - then perma-tourists can't be violating it and really, it's not anyone's issue but the government.

citygirl said:
stay, they would simply pass a law that stated 180 day maximum (or if they have passed such a law, someone could show me)

http://www.gema.com.ar/ley25871.html

It's okay to be defensive if you are a permatourist and you feel this discussion pertains to you, but you should really read up on the laws that you are technically violating.

I don't really have a dog in this fight either. I am American yet I also hold European and South American citizenship and Argentinian residency. I just find it funny American illegals seem to think they are morally above Latin American illegals simply because they have " money to burn ".

citygirl said:
I do believe that if the stay exceeds 180 days, one should be filing taxes in Argentina.

I am certain that is the law, but few of those living here legally more than 180 days per year (with the visa rentista) have been paying taxes on their foreign income. I believe the reason the monthly income requirement for the visa rentista was recently increased so dramatically was done so to generate tax revenue.

All foreigners living here for more than 180 days per year are subject to taxation on their worldwide assets and income. It's easy to assume that they are probably making more than $800USD per month. That level that doesn't generate tax revenue. $2000USD per month does. Now AFIP ha a new group of tax payers/dogers to go after.

Eternalnewbie said:
It looks like to me anybody who overstays a visa, especially long term, is staying in the country illegally, whatever country it happens to be. It is disingenuous to think you are not a "bad illegal" just because you have a bit more money. Illegal is illegal. I don't see how this would be hard to understand. Can't we just call a spade a spade, as the saying goes?

I don't anyone can disagree with you. Yes illegal, or undocumented immigration, for a better term is equal in any country.

But I think at the same time it's all disingenuous or naive to believe that undocumented immigration of American/Euro/Australian expats to Argentina is a comparable "issue" to undocumented immigration in the US and that enforcement of those laws will be pursued in the same way.

steveinbsas said:
Did the Arizona law create new penalties for being an illegal immigrant or just support the enforcement of existing federal laws?

Actually the courts gutted it so it doesn't do much of anything.

The only new law that remained was : it is a crime now to pick up illegals for the purpose of offering them a job if it impedes traffic ( rofl ).

But yes, the new law would have made it a felony to be in the US illegally. The federal law only makes it a crime. Huge difference. The lew law would have also made it a felony to solicit work in public if you are illegal.

There are also a few other nuggets of gold in there as well, but none of them took effect because they were all unconstitutional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back