Thousands of Argentines, with terror of being expelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
AlexfromLA said:
http://www.gema.com.ar/ley25871.html

It's okay to be defensive if you are a permatourist and you feel this discussion pertains to you, but you should really read up on the laws that you are technically violating.

I don't really have a dog in this fight either. I am American yet I also hold European and South American citizenship and Argentinian residency. I just find it funny American illegals seem to think they are morally above Latin American illegals simply because they have " money to burn ".

Alex - not sure if that is directed towards me but as I said, I don't particularly care. But we have this fight on baexpats over & over again & I wold love to know the answer to this once and for all.

I've read this law - can you point out where it says the maximum stay in Argentina per year (calendar or otherwise) is 180 days? I'm really not being contentious - I just can't find it.

Edited to say - totally off-topic but how do you hold 3 citizenships? I thought the maximum was 2?

nikad said:
They are just as illegal as many "expats-I-really-am-a-permatourist-taking-advantage-of-local-lack-of-law-enforcement"... If you like fire you have to take the heat then.

First if your leave every 90 days your not illegal. If they are not satisfied I ll go somewhere else where I am welcomed with my 30.000 dollar a year

qwerty said:
First if your leave every 90 days your not illegal. If they are not satisfied I ll go somewhere else where I am welcomed with my 30.000 dollar a year

You are only truly welcome here if you are paying taxes on that 30K.

If you are, you also have bragging rights, but you don't if you aren't.

LAtoBA said:
Expats would just move on to the next country in Latin America.
Blanket statements tend not to make sense. Not every expat is in your situation.

But yes, most would probably have to leave. And if they are deported from Argentina, they might not be readily welcome in the next Latin American country. Also I don't presume to know the immigration laws in every Latin American country.

If Argentina wants to make foreingers who stay more then 184 days a year(that´s the exact number) pay taxes they need to prove your actual residency is in Argentina and there is no chance in hell they pull that off unless you all of the following in Argentina, house, kids, home work or a business.

If you have none of the following I wouldn´t worry at all

AlexfromLA said:
Blanket statements tend not to make sense. Not every expat is in your situation.

But yes, most would probably have to leave. And if they are deported from Argentina, they might not be readily welcome in the next Latin American country. Also I don't presume to know the immigration laws in every Latin American country.

I don't know of any other Latin American country that has an immigration policy that is anywhere near as "lenient" as Argentina's.

steveinbsas said:
You are only truly welcome here if you are paying taxes on that 30K.

If you are, you also have bragging rights, but you don't if you aren't.

I have zero interest in paying taxes in Argentina(other then IVA), I would leave for Uruguay if I ever find the need to leave my home country for tax reasons

steveinbsas said:
I don't know of any other Latin American country that has an immigration policy that is anywhere near as "lenient" as Argentina's.

Uruguay does not tax foreign income Argentina does. So there´s one.

People would just spend time between Colombia, Brasil and there home country. The people who can´t afford that will go home thinking about what could have been

qwerty said:

lol @ 30,000 a year

that was joke right ?

qwerty said:
If Argentina wants to make foreingers who stay more then 184 days a year(that´s the exact number) pay taxes they need to prove your actual residency is in Argentina and there is no chance in hell they pull that off unless you all of the following in Argentina, house, kids, home work or a business.

If you have none of the following I wouldn´t worry at all

If you have a visa rentista you have to provide copies of your passport and proof of income (now $2000 USD per month) in order to renew and then they will have the ability to "pull that off" as you put it.

It now looks like being a "perma-tourist" as long as it's possible is the more economical route to go. I think it will be a long time (if ever) before they start rounding up and deporting foreigners who are living here without a valid visa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back