Tickets at Teatro Colón

duanestorey

Registered
I was thinking about seeing an opera while in BsAs this time. After frequenting the Teatro Colón site though, it looks like certain sections of seats are for women only or for men only. Just curious what the motivation is for this? I'm a bit hesitant to buy some tickets because I'm worried I'm going to end up in the wrong section (I'd like to bring a date).

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Thanks.

These sections are standing room. It's part of the tradition going back to the theater's early days when it wasn't seemly to mix working class Italian immigrant men and women in a tight space jaja.

So you understand, as is the case with older European theaters, the Colón segregates more by socioeconomic class than by sex. The main entrance accesses only the Platea (orchestra section) and the Palcos (boxes), and only ticketholders for these sections have access to the handsome public spaces.

The upper tiers, with probably 2/3 of the audience, were for the working classes, who use back entrances, climb lots of stairs, and have to hang out in a basic hallway during intermissions. There is a small stand-up bar up there that I believe is accessible from all the upper levels except for the uppermost "Paraiso," which is standing only and since the renovation has allowed men and women to stand together.

In the US, Carnegie hall had a similar configuration until the renovation in the 90's opened things up a bit. The old Met was the same as well.

Great, thanks!

A couple more questions, if you don't mind.

How do the Palcos compare with the Orchestra? Price wise they are pretty close.

Also, I went through the booking process on a Palco and it had a warning saying that seating was first come / first serve, even though the tickets have a number. Is that the norm, or is it just perhaps for this show, or.. ?

Thanks.

There are 5 or 6 seats in each box, and they're not numbered. So unless you reserve a box that's really center, you probably want to get there when the doors open, so you can grab the best seat.

I personally like the rear platea seats. They're a little less expensive than the front rows. They're comfortable, with good leg room and great sight lines - it's actually a small theater compared to the Met or Chicago Lyric or the War Memorial in SF. Plus you can hang out in the bar or explore the Salon Dorado before the show instead of guarding your seat.

Anywhere in the theater you'll experience the incredible sound of that place. It's a real marvel of clarity!

Have fun!

PS - be aware that - as in all theaters here - the ushers expect tips, and you're unlikely to find your own seat without an usher. You certainly won't get a program without tipping the usher at least $5 for a couple.

Great, thanks. I was about to go ahead and get some box seats, but your points are excellent, and I'd rather be relaxing and enjoying the venue than guarding a seat.

jimdepalermo said:
There are 5 or 6 seats in each box, and they're not numbered. So unless you reserve a box that's really center, you probably want to get there when the doors open, so you can grab the best seat.

I personally like the rear platea seats. They're a little less expensive than the front rows. They're comfortable, with good leg room and great sight lines - it's actually a small theater compared to the Met or Chicago Lyric or the War Memorial in SF. Plus you can hang out in the bar or explore the Salon Dorado before the show instead of guarding your seat.

Anywhere in the theater you'll experience the incredible sound of that place. It's a real marvel of clarity!

Have fun!

PS - be aware that - as in all theaters here - the ushers expect tips, and you're unlikely to find your own seat without an usher. You certainly won't get a program without tipping the usher at least $5 for a couple.

I see argentines in front Platea seats tip 2 pesos...
As to me there is a big detectable difference in the sound received in a Platea seat and a Tertulia seat.

So I have tickets to the opera this Friday. When I bought the tickets I saw a sign saying something about a new dress code in effect at Teatro Colon. Does anyone know what the expectation is for men and women? If I wear a suit jacket and a shirt, can I get away without a tie, or is that expected? What is appropriate for women?

Thanks.

Definitely go for the platea unless you are getting the entire box or a very central one.

Also, the tickets say 8:30pm - is that the time the doors open, or is that the time of the actual Opera? Just trying to time everything. Thanks.

duanestorey said:
Also, the tickets say 8:30pm - is that the time the doors open, or is that the time of the actual Opera? Just trying to time everything. Thanks.

supposed to be actual starting time. door opens earlier than 8:00.
the opera may start though say at 8:40.
---------
regardig dress code:
If you're at good seats ;), for men, I would say blazer or suit would do. Ties are not mandatory but a lot of men wear them, especially those who are above 45, even some teenagers. Because of the weather, you can either check in your coat or hold it if you wear one. I do see men wearing designer Jeans as bottom. The dress code is not really enforced.
Women usually wears jewels.
There is not much dress code if you're at high up seats like Cazuela or Tertulia.
Leathers are not recommended, especially those which make noise :D

Back