Tigre Apt Rents, Anyone?

Dublin2BuenosAires points out a particular element of Tigre living that, in fact, I actually have already considered: Fortunately for me, regular commuting for work or other purposes will not be required, so to- and from-train station distances aren't any real concern for me, I don't think. I am also aware of the considerable numbers of developments of gated communities in that region, most of which actually are private homes, to a fair extent - as far as I can tell, anyways. I expect to be in an apartment building and it won't be too far from the station.

Syngirl points out the flooding: I actually read the complete Columbia University report which was presented to the Greater Buenos Aires Province on the subject of Tigre flooding, and so I am acutely aware of the nature of the built-up flood controls created specifically to enhance and safeguard gated-community living and, which, therefore tend to flood the other spots around town as a result. Noting right away that this is a marshland delta region, my very first thoughts were of floods and mosquitoes, so I went looking for info on those very things right away. I admit I'm not much looking forward to the flooding. Yes: The 'savings' over some in-town districts is not much, if anything at all... except in (as you point out) harder-to-reach (requiring a car) regions of that community (mostly, it seems, north-by-northwest of the main downtown district). However, there are some hoops that non-DNI-carrying foreigners have to jump through (rentista guarantia) and a friend has essentially made what I am doing possible, there, instead. Hence, my search to see how practical this all is for me.

My impression of Tigre at night is not yet all that well-developed (I've been doing research on the area for many months, now) but the impression which I get is that it doesn't have much commerce or reason for folks being out-and-about, after dark (it's primarily a river-based tourist economy other than mostly local businesses in support of residents, I gather) so that might well be the reason why there's nothing really happening and that there's a general sense of it not being very inviting at all, at those later hours. Would that seem correct?

Thanks, again, all -

Paul

hey Paul, you should check out Pilar. Much nicer and cheaper for what you get in my opinion.

Wow, I've got to admit, franksredhots, that I hadn't considered Pilar... Agreed, cheaper... DEFINITELY nicer... but just a bit too far for those once- twice-weekly visits into town that I may make? I think you're right, though: Tigre isn't top-o'-the-line... but as of now, I wouldn't rate it at the bottom, either. It's admittedly not a cheaper-than-centro cost but I doubt I'll wake to quite as much hustle-and-bustle noise there, eh?

Paul

Wow, I've got to admit, franksredhots, that I hadn't considered Pilar... Agreed, cheaper... DEFINITELY nicer... but just a bit too far for those once- twice-weekly visits into town that I may make? I think you're right, though: Tigre isn't top-o'-the-line... but as of now, I wouldn't rate it at the bottom, either. It's admittedly not a cheaper-than-centro cost but I doubt I'll wake to quite as much hustle-and-bustle noise there, eh?

Paul
you should start a thread about Pilar. I know many expats who live and have lived there. Ive been many many times and the 40 minute drive to and from isnt bad at all. Its actually a relaxing drive if you skip rush hour. Maybe ElQueso can chime in? 4500 pesos for a brand new two bedroom apartment in a gated community in a nice suburb seems hard to beat. http://www.argenprop.com/Propiedades/Detalles/6865352--Departamento-de-3-Ambientes-en-Alquiler-en-Pilar?hb=1

I actually planned to move to the suburbs a couple years ago and did quite alot of scouting, driving all over, Pilar, Escobar, Nordelta, Tigre, San Isidro, Vicente Lopez etc. In the end I didnt move because of work related reasons, but Pilar was at the top of my list. Good luck with your search.

Thanks, franksredhots... truly... but for a man who doesn't really even want to have / own / drive a car, there... that's gonna be a bit of a somewhat difficult place for me to consider, I think! I 'get' the beauty of the tranquility, peace, calm, distance, security and price, especially... However, the train to Tigre suffices and I don't plan to be commuting regularly. I also don't need a lot of space - just me.

Again, gratefully,

Paul

i also spent some time investigating Tigre and what turned me off was the mosquitoes and my fear of getting dengue...anyone know of stats regarding cases of dengue in Tigre area?

Back