Timeline For Moving To Bsas

60% is well over even the independent estimates, though some items do spike like that, and others cruise along at 15%... but yes the inflation can suck.

60% inflation? Why are you giving false information to people?

Because I actually kept a bunch of receipts from last year and can perform basic math, as opposed to believing imaginary numbers from INDEC.

You should change your name to wild_unicorns. You probably believe in those as well.

Because I actually kept a bunch of receipts from last year and can perform basic math, as opposed to believing imaginary numbers from INDEC.

You should change your name to wild_unicorns. You probably believe in those as well.
Do you seriously think that a bunch of tickets will give you the inflation index? Talking about unicorns.

Inflation is a little bit more complex that a bunch a tickets sweet heart, along with the stuff that you buy in Barrio Norte supermarket you have to messure thousands of different location (along the country), fuel, energy, transport, education, etc.

Again inflation is not 60%.

Do you seriously think that a bunch of tickets will give you the inflation index? Talking about unicorns.

Inflation is a little bit more complex that a bunch a tickets sweet heart, along with the stuff that you buy in Barrio Norte supermarket you have to messure thousands of different location (along the country), fuel, energy, transport, education, etc.

I'm not really interested in debating the inflation rate with you or Matias. In fact, I could care less what the actual rate is. What is important to me (or was, when I was paid in pesos) was the actual increase in my daily expenses. The inflation rate on some products (in this case garbanzos, olives, brown rice, and tuna) is much higher than whatever rate you want to consider official. Things like food are what matters to most expats, not the cost of building materials in La Rioja or the price of spare tractor parts in Corrientes.

Getting back to the OP, that is a real concern when living in Argentina. The buying power on the money you earn diminishes monthly. Not really a good position to be in if you are already only breaking even.

I would say definitely come, enjoy it as long as you can make it work, but always have a backup escape route in case things get tough.

Inflation may not be 60% "across the board" but "prices" can increase by much more than that...overnight...without warning...and it's often a government fee or tax that can increase by as much as a factor of three or even six times the previous level (aka 300% or 600%).

Two examples affecting expats involve the overstay fee (which increased from $50 pesos to $300) and the income requirements for the visa rentista and pensionado (which went from $2500 to $8000 pesos per month). That was in 2010, after the exchange rate had increased form just over 3.09 to one dollar (in 2006) to about 4 to one. It's highly likely the overstay fee and the income requirements will increase dramatically in the near future.

A business owner in Bahia Blanca recently told me that the annual municipal tax on his business increased from about $5,000 pesos for 2013 to $17,000 pesos for 2014. He passes as much of the tax increase along to his customers...who are also dealing with having to pay much more for the goods he has for sale (auto parts) some of which have doubled in price during the past year. This is undoubtedly happening all over Argentina and it has to affect the discretionary income of those Argentines who might otherwise be able to pay for private English lessons.

There haven't been nearly as many threads on the subject of moving to BA to teach English in the past year or so as compared to several years ago. I'll see if I can find some links using the search engine and post them later today. Reading about other expat's (especially arbound) experiences might shed some light regarding the difficulties actually faced by aspiring English teachers in BA.

PS: The price of car parts and building materials do affect a few expats. I am presently waiting to know the cost of engine repairs to my car which is now sitting in a garage after overheating and starting to blow blue smoke last week. I have also decided to expand the galpon as i convert it to an "estancia" style guest house and add a 25 m2 master bedroom with an en suite Japanese style bathroom (also 25 m2).

And every time I mow the "open" area of my property (8,000 m2) I also think about the current cost of a new mini-tractor (which has increased more than 60% in the past year). I'm just glad I bought a new, self-propelled mower exactly a year ago. It's increased by about as much as well.

Inflation is subjective ...! if you keep your receipts and compare prices from last year, its valid for YOU. Collecting only the Precios Cuidados from Salta to Ushuia makes No sense for My Pocket ... It's a waste of Pesos my tax pesos... The Cost of Gasoline in El Chaco has no relevance for me...!

Does it make sense to collect all those thousands of numbers throw them in a blender and come with an Average,,,,??? I only want to compare the prices in the Stores where I SHOP.

My inflation statistics for today... from the same Chino market.. a can of lentils a year ago was $8 pesos .. today $15 ... Call INDEC for Precios Cuidados!!

a lot of stuff i buy (esp imported items - Barrio Chino etc) has risen 100%. Rent is happily locked at 25% though! (on contract since last Dec)

Back