Tipping...

katti said:
I agree with this and am in constant discussion with my husband about this : I refuse to tip when they put "servicio de mesa" on the bill. In my opinion, it replaces the tip. Unfortunately it is mostly my husband who pays. :eek:

When we talk about tips with our Argentine friends they think you should always pay 10% in restaurants, even if they service was lousy. When we pay they always ask us "did you give 10%?".

In taxis I always round up, up or down, if it's 6,20 I pay 6$, if it's 7,5$ I pay 8$ , depending on the bills I have.

On the other hand, I will never forget that one time when we went to a restaurant in the south of france where they only had valet parking and when my husband (in a really good mood) gave this guy 5€, thinking he was really giving him a huge tip, this guy said "sorry sir, minimum tip is 10€!"... how embarassing that was...

the French are slick, and your husband was taken, 10€!
reminds me of the time i was sleeping on the beach in Nice and some phool comes up to me saying " beach police i need your passports"

ElQueso said:
On the servicio de mesa, I know it's aggravating. But the waiters don't get any of that, from what I understand, so it doesn't replace a tip.

In fact, I was once told by a local friend of mine that servicio de mesa was instituted under Peron (I'm not sure which presidency) and was intended to provide additional wages to waitstaff, which never actually made it into their pockets.

Nikad, do you know if that's true? I've always wondered...

I am not sure if it was created during Peron´s governments and what was its purpose to be honest, the only thing I know is that wait staff get none of that, and restaurant owners do not pay any taxes on it either, so it is basically undeclared income for the owners and a ridiculous charge for the client :p Some 25 years ago, most places would not charge for this, some would though.

katti said:
I agree with this and am in constant discussion with my husband about this : I refuse to tip when they put "servicio de mesa" on the bill. In my opinion, it replaces the tip. Unfortunately it is mostly my husband who pays. :eek:

It is aggravating, but waiters get zero, nada at all out of it, so it really is nto their fault, it is there for the owner´s profit... as if they didn´t get enough profit out of their prices, I honestly don´t get it :p I still tip the waiter as I know about this sneaky charge and where it goes and how much is the waiter´s salary on average, but see, just like you do not like to tip after paying this, maybe that is the reason why many porteños do not tip them either, the probably feel like they have already payed and extra for something, and that it is enough!

1. Restaurants, coffee shops, etc

Restaurants = 10% up to a certain point -- ie if it's just 2 of us for dinner but we go to an expensive place and the bill is 250 pesos but the waiter spent no more time with us than had we gone to a place that would have been 100 pesos, we're not leaving 25 pesos -- we'll leave 15 or so...

Coffee shops -- 10%, although even if below 10 pesos I still leave at least 1 peso on the table.

2. Deliveries - pizza, empanadas, ice cream, whatever

A peso or two

3. Taxis and Remis

Round up, although if I get a nice driver and have a good conversation and the bill ends up at 17.65 or something, he's going to get a 20 peso note and forget about it!

4. Other types of deliveries, stores, DHL etc

When we've had things delivered or installed, ie air conditioners, mattresses etc, I will tip about 5 pesos to the guys -- if it was a hot day when they did the install, as it was this year, they are getting more for having stood around and sweated through the job. The guys with our couch ended up having to carry it up 5 floors of stairs since it wouldn't get in the elevator so I think they got 10 pesos each, which is pretty crappy when you think about it -- 2 pesos a floor?

5. Other miscellaneous types of tips that are expected?

Not as much of a deal for guys but:

At salons -- tip the person that cuts your hair, as well as the one that washes it or anyone else that gave you some serivce. Same with manicurists, pedicurists, the people that wax you deserve big tips!

When you go to the salon always make sure to have a lot of 2 and 5 peso notes for tipping.

ALSO:

We're coming to the end of the year so you'll want to get something for your portero -- a bottle of wine, cidra or a pan dulce is traditional, which I think is silly since they end up with tonnes of pan dulces from all the tenants. Our portero has a bit of a problem with alcohol so instead of either the above I usually put together a basket with some crackers, salamines, pate, crisps, etc etc so he can make a picada. We don't usually give the guy any $$ but I'm sure in some buildings it's done.

Same for your cleaning lady -- get something small, it doesn't have to be a big deal but something like the above, or you could give her a bit of a bono.

I can't think of anyone else off hand right now that I tip...

Great suggestion about presents, syngirl.

In addition to the portero/encargado and maid, it is always nice to give a holiday gift or "bono" to your Spanish teacher or other people who provide you services with whom you have a good rapport. Also, if you have clothing you no longer want you could ask the maid if she is interested in taking it.

I am not in expat circles and have seen the gamut in tips: monedas for a dinner with multiple people, 10%, sometimes more like 15% based on the bills at hand. While tipping is personal, it seems that the standard is 10%. Although we do not go out to eat too often, when we do my Argentine boyfriend and I consistently tip 10%+ (on the food not including servicio de mesa) and a little more if we like the waiter/service.

Those people live with a third world salary in a first world costing Capital City. Don t tip and :

- You will encourage argentines to tip themselves (rip offs, insecurity...)
- You might end up with an unpleasant feeling of guilt if you still have a little light of conciousness about your luck not to be born in Argentina and enjoying an affordable way of life here with your hard currencies due to those low wages.

But after all, one gets used to all kind of things here which would upset in their homeland : kids sleeping in the streets, disabled people moving themselves without assistance, absence of efficent welfare...

Those few extra Euros/Dollars given away wont make you poorer but will definitly help.

I'd just like to point out that not all of here are earning Euros or Dollars. We earn our living in pesos, so throwing around an extra AR$10 here or there is not really "a few pennies". It's AR$10 just like it would be 10Euros/Dollars/Francs at home.

This doesn't mean that I don't tip. I do. I tip 5-10% dinner. I tip one peso for a cup of coffee, AR$2-5 for delivery, I give a bit more if it's raining or crappy weather.

If people calculate or take their own tip, I take it back. The other day I had a coffee/media luna downtown which was AR$7. The girl gave me back AR$3 and I gave her one. The next day, at the same place, I gave the guy AR$10 and he gave me back AR$2. You can bet I asked for my peso back & didn't leave it for him. It's not up to him to take he own tip. It's not the money, it's the principle.

Please don't assume that tipping is "just a few pennies". Throwing around money becuase one earns Dollars or Euros is vulgar in any country. Give the appropriate tip. But don't throw money at people.

Reactions: RWS
too bad they are not based on the amount of work required:

why should i tip more to a person who just happens to work at more expensive restaurant... the service is about the same

syngirl said:
1. Restaurants, coffee shops, etc

Restaurants = 2-10 pesos based upon my mood and if my glass of water gets empty. I not paying someone because they are good looking. the runners and cooks do most of the work at restaurants, and trust me most waitstaff barely tip-out. i'm not a charity. Yes, i used to work in a restaurant.

Coffee shops -- change, if anything at all

Deliveries - "pizza, empanadas, ice cream, whatever"
as a former delivery driver i find this amusing; considering one often destorys their vehicle, has to deal with traffic, finding the address, waiting for people who never have proper change, the police, and washing dishes/folding boxes during the down time. this is the person who deserves 10%, and yes we do memorize addresses and prioritize or runs based upon tips/pain in the arse customers. we dont carry change on purpose

Taxis and Remis
these guys get paid, forget them; i only round up when i know they were fast.

Other types of deliveries, stores, DHL etc
nada

mini said:
I'd just like to point out that not all of here are earning Euros or Dollars.

I guess i have to take your opinion into account, just like Davids, my host, since you both are long term residents but...

I can t help but opening my eyes. Yesterday, i brought back a friend of mine in La Matanza by night and watched those 24 hours open shops on the way, those people haunting the City without goal and work, sitting on the pavement, those villas where the police wont fine you for not stopping at traffic lights, those travestites waiting for a customer...and understood that every centavo thrown away was actually dearly needed. The attendant at the gas station might have ripped me off by 20 pesos, but i awoke him while he was trying to get some sleep in his car...

For expats living off local currency, life might be more expensive but they have a luxury many argentines don t : they can leave the country whenever they want and have a passport that will allow them to find a job back home that will pay their basic needs (rent, food and health) in a much sounder environment and even save some to come back to Argentina later. They didnt immigrate in Argentina for economic reasons like Paraguyans or Bolivians.

10% in restaurants, round up in taxis/remises and usually 2-5 pesos for delivery (depending on the size of the order).

I was interested in the tipping for the salon - I usually tip the girl who washes my hair 2 pesos, when I get it blown out, 5 or 7 pesos and service/color, usually 10 (or basically 10%)

Back