Tipping The Delivery Guy - What Is A Good Amount?

pmacay

Registered
We all know inflation is terrible, but the peso has been strengthening against the USA $. We just ordered sushi delivered last night and it went up 24% since January! I've been tipping delivery guys 30 pesos, but this seems a little stingy for a 1,000 peso sushi order. I'm just wondering what people are tipping for delivery now-a-days. I don't want to piss off the person who is bringing me food! Do you tip a standard amount whether you order a pizza or an expensive order like sushi? It's always dinner for two, so it's not like I'm asking him to deliver an order for 8 people.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Pete & Ron

24% in less than three months, you're kidding me?
When we order a takeaway pizza, which is never less than $200 and has crept up steadily, I only give about $10 because they´re taking the piss.
At those prices, you´re already paying the tip several times over.

Nothing if the delivery is included in the charge... Stop turning this into America! The reason prices keep going up is also because people accept it and continue to pay - we should be part of the solution and not pay ridiculous prices - where ever possible. The driver is paid a full salary - he does not need to be subsidised any more than a check out person at a supermarket.

Stop turning this into America!

took a taxi with some American conocidos. And after I paid the taxi fare, the American asked me " What kind of man you are. You did not tip the driver"

I replied "For what? For driving us from point A to Point B. Collecting his fare as per govt laws. Never moving from his seat. Stop turning BA in to NYC"!

y
Nothing if the delivery is included in the charge... Stop turning this into America! The reason prices keep going up is also because people accept it and continue to pay - we should be part of the solution and not pay ridiculous prices - where ever possible. The driver is paid a full salary - he does not need to be subsidised any more than a check out person at a supermarket.

Delivery Boys get paid for each delivery, work as freelance no benefits coverage, etc. If the scooter breaks no money if injured tough luck

I used to work at a car wash when I was a high school student. Tips were shared among all of the coworkers, though the fact that the payment was handed to us females definitely drove tipping upward. At the end of the month it was maybe $30 more in the paycheck for each one of us. It didn't really made the difference. Yes, we were in black with all the consequences.
Some people tipped 100% the amount they paid out of pity, since we were working under the sun or in cold weather, women never tipped, the older the man the higher the tip.

However, from a customer's perspective you shouldn't feel forced to compensate for an employer's greediness. When I tip, I try to tip 10% but if the amount approaches €2 I started getting uncomofrtable. I have no issue in tipping less than 10% and living in peace with myself. My husband, on the contrary, is always fighting me if I don't want to leave 10%. Whether they are serving expensive food or cheap stuff, their effort is the same. And adding "cubierto" and "trapito" fees you can easily spend 100 pesos just for going out. That I don't like. I go out to enjoy the experience, not for feeling harassed.
I usually take off the 10% tip from the cubierto fee, if present. I understand that the tip goes to the waiter and the cubierto goes to the patron, however, it is my way - as a customer - to make myself heard. I could walk up and express my disdain for his cubierto or I could hit him with less waiters waiting to work at his place. At the end of the day, it is always better to make your problem someone else's problem than simply airing your complaints.

Thanks for the comments. When I see a delivery charge added to a bill, I didn't think the delivery person got that, I was assuming that it just went to the business to pay for the delivery person's wages, etc... I've lived here since 2000 and they've always had a "cubierto" charge, which my Argentine friends said doesn't go to the wait staff, but pays for the bread and washing the dishes. I think paying a wait person in a restaurant 10% is totally justifiable, but the delivery person is just delivering my food, not "serving" me multiple times during my dinner.

Back