Tony Benn's Advice Re: Cfk

EdRooney

Registered
"In the course of my life I have developed five little democratic questions. If one meets a powerful person--Adolf Hitler, Joe Stalin, [Cristina Kirchner, Héctor Magneto] or Bill Gates--ask them five questions: “What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system."

QDIP Tony Benn

"In the course of my life I have developed five little democratic questions. If one meets a powerful person--Adolf Hitler, Joe Stalin, [Cristina Kirchner, Héctor Magneto] or Bill Gates--ask them five questions: “What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system."

QDIP Tony Benn

In fairness, Argentines (I do not include myself as I do not even have residence) should be rid of her by the end of next year.

We take our kids to protests here and use it as a learning experience. We tell them that they have a voice and if they don't like what is happening in the government they can try to change it. Because the government works for them. They don't work for the government.

Our 14-year old daughter has become pretty educated on current economic and political issues and is now starting to form her own opinions.

Benn was a dangerous politial fool,but clever orator and master of deceit.As far as the quote is concerned,by his criteria there is no democracy for everyone,as one man's so called democracy is another man's tyranny.Look at Egypt now and US,UK,EU and all the other seen to be free societies?Eveywhere these free societies intervene to create
democracy the result is violence and corruption.Nice day here though!!

Mr Poroto, could you be a bit more specific? I'm not sure I understand your point. In Egypt Mubarak and Morsi obviously did not stand up to Benn's 5 criteria, nor does Sisi: it is therefore a highly undemocratic country. The same could be said for Obama, Cameron, and especially the EU leadership. Where leaders are not exercising their power on behalf of the people and accountable to them, they should be removed. I don't see how that's tyranny; it seems like the opposite to me.

As for Benn being a 'master of deceit', I'd also love to see some examples.

Mr Poroto, could you be a bit more specific? I'm not sure I understand your point. In Egypt Mubarak and Morsi obviously did not stand up to Benn's 5 criteria, nor does Sisi: it is therefore a highly undemocratic country. The same could be said for Obama, Cameron, and especially the EU leadership. Where leaders are not exercising their power on behalf of the people and accountable to them, they should be removed. I don't see how that's tyranny; it seems like the opposite to me.

As for Benn being a 'master of deceit', I'd also love to see some examples.

There are/were ways to remove Cameron, Obama and other public officials. They're called "elections." There are also impeachment, which congressional Republicans never cease talking about, and votes of confidence in Parliament.

So in order to get rid of the dude in whom 60% of the population has no confidence (Obama) you need to go through the body in whom 85% of the country has no confidence (congress), or just "tough it out" another 3 years? Sounds like a 'democracy' where popular opinion means little to zero.

So in order to get rid of the dude in whom 60% of the population has no confidence (Obama) you need to go through the body in whom 85% of the country has no confidence (congress), or just "tough it out" another 3 years? Sounds like a 'democracy' where popular opinion means little to zero.

Yeah, once the gents of the US makes a mistake, then you have to endure the agony and as you said, tough it out for next three years..Permissible ( and pardoned ) under US constitution...

What is your evidence that 60 percent of the population has no confidence? Shall we govern by opinion polls? Which one(s), then? Should we ask Pope Pancho Primo to take over?

When the welfare system grows beyond control. When handouts are given a politcal weight democracy shrinks significantly. It doesn't matter if it comes from CFK, Hugo Chavez, or this POTUS.

Back