Tony Benn's Advice Re: Cfk

My bad: it's not 60%; it's 63% according to ABC news. And yes the majority's opinion should define policy and select/remove leaders; that is the definition of a functioning democracy.

What is your evidence that 60 percent of the population has no confidence? Shall we govern by opinion polls? Which one(s), then? Should we ask Pope Pancho Primo to take over?

Lol, always so rational. It's either my way or a sarcastic remark the size of the US debt.

Why don't we replace ajknoblauch with the lady who voted 6 times for Obama. Might be more intersting.

http://patdollard.com/2013/05/ohio-woman-who-voted-6-times-for-obama-convicted-of-felony-voter-fraud/

I am feelin' the womens movmnt right now in South America, mighty Brazil has the presidenta kicking ass implementing " mais trabalho" for the making of more middle class. Now you guys have the world famous presidenta as well. Across and over the Andes, the chilenos has elacted the again in the reign, Michelle Bachelet to flex her muscles once more, albeit a bit too obese looking this time out but will see. So SA is looking pretty much on the move..

When the welfare system grows beyond control. When handouts are given a politcal weight democracy shrinks significantly. It doesn't matter if it comes from CFK, Hugo Chavez, or this POTUS.

The United States has the least generous social welfare system of any economically "developed" country, far less so than even Tory-governed Britain, let alone countries with high quality of life such as Sweden and Finland.

My bad: it's not 60%; it's 63% according to ABC news. And yes the majority's opinion should define policy and select/remove leaders; that is the definition of a functioning democracy.

So any time an elected official's popularity falls below 50 percent in any public opinion poll (no matter the margin of error), he or she should immediately flee the country or, alternatively, be burned at the stake?

National no-confidence votes. After that, perhaps De la Rúa can lend them his helicopter.

National no-confidence votes. After that, perhaps De la Rúa can lend them his helicopter.

So you'd like to have referenda every day for every office? Do you have a plan for the logistics of this and, if you do, who replaces the officials in question?

I don't see why other parliamentary systems are able to hold no-confidence votes (with all of the logistics and replacement structures) but in the US the populace has to wait 2-4 years to have some kind of voice. Might this explain why there is such an atrocious gap between what the public wants to see implemented and the policies that eventually get put into place? The Iraq war, the Cuba blockade, the war on drugs, single-payer healthcare.... It all shows the US to be a very undemocratic country.

There are/were ways to remove Cameron, Obama and other public officials. They're called "elections." There are also impeachment, which congressional Republicans never cease talking about, and votes of confidence in Parliament.

Cameron could also be outed and replaced with some other etonian at the wishes of his own party. See Thatcher.

The United States has the least generous social welfare system of any economically "developed" country, far less so than even Tory-governed Britain, let alone countries with high quality of life such as Sweden and Finland.

As an American my heart wants to be ashamed, but my brain is thinking maybe that's not a bad thing. Do you want, in a democracy, enough people dependent on the government for their income to swing an election?

Bob

Back