Topping up Personal

I think so, but it doesn't seem terribly likely that I'm going to get one
Also, in any case, apple have been useless with beginning the claim and have referred me to the British underwriter and hopefully I'll have an easier time dealing with them

Gave this a whirl this afternoon. They ushered me to another police station on Lavalle who told me that I can't report it there and have to phone them. I guess it's a futile exercise, especially given how far away my phone now is
Given that on Sunday you tracked your iPhone to a location in Cordoba, the chances that you will recuperate the apparatus is nil.
What you can do now is file a theft report in CABA so you can submit it to your AppleCare insurance.
I just spoke with an operator....#147 (linea de atencion del Gobierno de la Ciudad). Answer: "call #911 to file a report re: theft of a cell".
That is probably what they already told you at the station on Lavalle. I am simply posting this info which may help others in a similar situation.

Given that on Sunday you tracked your iPhone to a location in Cordoba, the chances that you will recuperate the apparatus is nil.
What you can do now is file a theft report in CABA so you can submit it to your AppleCare insurance.
I just spoke with an operator....#147 (linea de atencion del Gobierno de la Ciudad). Answer: "call #911 to file a report re: theft of a cell".
That is probably what they already told you at the station on Lavalle. I am simply posting this info which may help others in a similar situation.
There's a little bit of circular logic that the police require in needing to call to report the theft of a phone, but I'll give it a go now I've got a temporary phone. Thank you very much

There's a little bit of circular logic that the police require in needing to call to report the theft of a phone, but I'll give it a go now I've got a temporary phone. Thank you very much
The circular logic is impressive :rolleyes: Plus it doesn't feel exactly right to dial 911 to report a stolen phone.

I haven't used it, but there is the possibility of making a report online: https://denunciaonline.policiadelaciudad.gob.ar/#/home and it seems to allow even tourists to report crimes as well. Would it be sufficient for AppleCare?

The circular logic is impressive :rolleyes: Plus it doesn't feel exactly right to dial 911 to report a stolen phone.

I haven't used it, but there is the possibility of making a report online: https://denunciaonline.policiadelaciudad.gob.ar/#/home and it seems to allow even tourists to report crimes as well. Would it be sufficient for AppleCare?
Thank you so much. I'll give this a try.

Its sad to realise how common theft can be here, this afternoon I took a taxi through retiro and saw somebody ambushed by a motorcycle and have their pushbike aggresively stolen. It was sad to see, particularly being powerless at a distance within the taxi. And it being so brazen, there were police barely half a cuadro away but the thief still managed to escape

Just a heads up, I've spent all week back and forth with apple support and the British underwriter which underwrites AppleCare plus. They were extremely unhelpful - whenever I logged into my apple id here it said I had no coverage.

The solution: I logged into my apple id with a British IP address (where id purchased the coverage) and this is what allowed me to finally instantiate a claim.

So if you lose your phone here and bought your coverage outside of the country, you need to have your IP address outside of the country to instantiate a claim. I hope this information helps anybody in a similar situation because it's caused me a lot of stress trying to resolve this and Apple and AIG have been utterly useless in helping and I had to work out the solution by my own volition

Thanks again for this. Just wanted to give an update. I raised a complaint via the link you gave me and used that as part of my claim - they requested further when I raised the claim that I provide my invoice for the phone and insurance, along with a police reference number. I provided both and my claim was approved within 15 minutes. This sugfests there was little due diligence on the reference number but reinforces that obtaining a reference number via this link is a good thing to do

Thanks again for this. Just wanted to give an update. I raised a complaint via the link you gave me and used that as part of my claim - they requested further when I raised the claim that I provide my invoice for the phone and insurance, along with a police reference number. I provided both and my claim was approved within 15 minutes. This sugfests there was little due diligence on the reference number but reinforces that obtaining a reference number via this link is a good thing to do
I'm glad it worked out, I suspected that the report might go into the void, but as long as you got a report number you would have what you need.

I'm not sure how the economics of stealing phones is now. Selling whole stolen phones became profitless when the owner could use the "find my" functionality to disable the phone and put an "I'm stolen" message on the display. This apparently affected sales of phones on Av. Corrientes a few years back. Then there was a push to make breaking up the stolen phones and selling the components pointless by giving every major component an electronically-readable ID so that the processor on the phone could register all its peripheral components and refuse to work with an unknown, unauthorized, replacement part. Apple certainly took this to extremes by refusing to work with non-Apple cables, for example, but I don't know how it works in practice with stolen phones now.

I'm glad it worked out, I suspected that the report might go into the void, but as long as you got a report number you would have what you need.

I'm not sure how the economics of stealing phones is now. Selling whole stolen phones became profitless when the owner could use the "find my" functionality to disable the phone and put an "I'm stolen" message on the display. This apparently affected sales of phones on Av. Corrientes a few years back. Then there was a push to make breaking up the stolen phones and selling the components pointless by giving every major component an electronically-readable ID so that the processor on the phone could register all its peripheral components and refuse to work with an unknown, unauthorized, replacement part. Apple certainly took this to extremes by refusing to work with non-Apple cables, for example, but I don't know how it works in practice with stolen phones now.
Yeah I don't expect anything to come from the report. I can still track the phone on find my iPhone and I also put it in lost mode and erased it remotely the morning after it was stolen.

I too am curious of the value of the bricked phone. It was an iPhone 13 pro max so pretty new. I wonder if they intend to extract the precious chemicals as I suspect it's otherwise as worth as much as a shiny brick

Yeah I don't expect anything to come from the report. I can still track the phone on find my iPhone and I also put it in lost mode and erased it remotely the morning after it was stolen.

I too am curious of the value of the bricked phone. It was an iPhone 13 pro max so pretty new. I wonder if they intend to extract the precious chemicals as I suspect it's otherwise as worth as much as a shiny brick

Thieves might have the technical resources to do a factory reset. I have been assured that they can do that with Samsung Galaxy series, but then again Apple is its own little universe.

Back