Tough on Permatourists

In fact the 183 days rule which applies to many countries is a bit relative, at least in France, and it's not well known unless you study fiscal law a bit.

Reason is (applies to France only, but surely applies to a few other countries) that the French IRS managed to consider people living abroad +183 days as being nevertheless French residents.
This was decided by the Conseil d'Etat (highest Administrative Court in France) considering that the 183 days rule was just part of the solution when it comes to decide whether someone is resident or not.
In this particular case emerged the notion of familial/job/economical interests : if someone lives outside of France +183 days but has all his family and/or main business and/or -whatever- in France, then he would be considered, no matter what, as a French resident.

And since decisions from such a High Administrative Court have a "legal weight", then bad surprises can arise.

Of course, the usual other stuff (bilateral Conventions) are to be considered as well.

Law & Justice can be fun at times when dealing with international conflicts, such as in the "International Private Law" field.
Example 1 : a Greek marries a Mexican in Canada and they both live in Australia, which legal system should apply to their marriage ?
Example 2 : a polygamist with 3 wives lives in France (French Law applies). How can the fidelity obligation apply in this case ?! (answer = abstinence ! really !)

citygirl said:
Very funny

Thank you.

citygirl said:
- I wonder how many people panicked reading it though?

But if they hadn't panicked, there wouldn't have been that extraordinary sense of relief at the end.

citygirl said:
Although this will be archived and will people get that it was a joke when they search the forums later on?

There's so much incorrect information on this forum - well-meaning and good intentioned but incorrect nevertheless - that an April Fool joke here or there isn't going to make any difference, in my opinion.

mini said:
Yeah, so "don't worry"......

Nice one! ;)

Thank you! Be fair: I gave everyone the opportunity to suspect trickery right back in paragraph three. A spokeswoman called Lola Prifo? Lola Prifo for goodness' sake!

elhombresinnombre said:
Thank you! Be fair: I gave everyone the opportunity to suspect trickery right back in paragraph three. A spokeswoman called Lola Prifo? Lola Prifo for goodness' sake!

I can totally seeing the AFIP saying that.. "No cash, don't worry..."

About the name though, I knew a guy called Kiki Lopez and the president of Brazil is called Lula, so, no hints with your spokesperson's name! You'll have to work at that. :)

On Wednesday I went to the AFIP office where my business is registered to take care of some tax payments. I asked one of the managers who I know for a few years already if he had ever heard of "Permatourists" (I explained in Spanish what this meant) and he just laughed. He also did a search of their databases for me, for the past 2 years and there is NO information, press releases, edicts or otherwise related to "Permatourists" in their records. This term, and whole issue is being fabricated by people on this site and some other places on the internet to scare people. So don't believe the hype, relax, and don't pay much attention to the dorx that come up with these false issues.

Davidglen77 said:
On Wednesday I went to the AFIP office where my business is registered to take care of some tax payments. I asked one of the managers who I know for a few years already if he had ever heard of "Permatourists" (I explained in Spanish what this meant) and he just laughed. He also did a search of their databases for me, for the past 2 years and there is NO information, press releases, edicts or otherwise related to "Permatourists" in their records. This term, and whole issue is being fabricated by people on this site and some other places on the internet to scare people. So don't believe the hype, relax, and don't pay much attention to the dorx that come up with these false issues.

I guess you didn't actually read the rest of the thread.

Jokes aside, my very smart BA accountant says that I need not bother counting days - at this time no one keeps track of how long one stays in Argentina.

Attn.: French Jurist -

International Law... how about this one -
What is the nationality of a child born on board of this flight...?

(1) The flight is operated commercially by Aerolineas Argentinas
(2) The aircraft is actually an Iberia combined flight IB/AR flight number.
(3) The aircraft is registered in France, under lease to Iberia.
(4) The child was born over high seas (UK rules the sea, Admiralty Law)
(5) The father is a dual national Uruguayan/Italian
(6) The mother is a citizen of Chile
(7) The airplane departed Madrid and be landing Sao Paulo

This is not an April fools joke... it could really happen.

Hehe, well actually I was born to my Austrian parents in France. I have Austrian nationality (since birth I think). I would have had the possibility to switch to French nationality when I got 18 but I did not want to (double citizenship was not possible).
My parents told me that customs was no problem, only wanted to have a look at the birth certificate.
Right now we have EU and Schengen (that open-borders thing) anyway so I am barely missing out on anything with my Austrian citizenship.
But yes, this is still a lot easier than the fictional case you described :)

Back