Tourist killed in Plaza San Martin

I still do not believe in any correlation between crime and inequality.
Irrelevant. The correlation was proven long ago. Science is your friend.

Your old communist heroes the montoneros have moved on, now they drive Aduis & wear gucci.
So? That means that people living for 35 years in a little plot need to be relocated because you say so? If it is because of the law, we should relocate half of the rich guys in the city, then. (because you know, all the buildings in the city were built following the legal specifications....)

Its probably a combination of many of the factors listed here...poverty, income inequality, drug abuse, culture, lack of law and order, etc. Exploring the causes doesn't justify acts of violence, its just an insight into why these crimes occur.

Side note: Correlation does not imply causation. Just because two variables are correlated doesn't mean that one causes the other.

marksoc said:
No. They live there, is their land. The villa 31 is not new, is older than myself. Why poor people should live in the outskirts of the city? Build their houses exactly where they are now. And not by any "international contractors", by the State. Are you worried about poor people receiving something "they did not earn"? As if they were guilty of being poor.

Welcome to the 21th Century, the Century of Man, where each person has rights only because he/she exists.

What's funny is that many of the people who believe this also believe that the Falklands belong to Argentina rather than the people who live there...

captainmcd said:
That is what I can not understand. I know my observation is not scientific, but have always been surprised in my visits to India that there does not seem to be any sense of shame or guilt by those who live in poverty, and no sense of anger at others more fortunate, either. Maybe it is religion, or perhaps a throwback to the old caste system where they view their condition as the normal way of the world. I don't know how that fits into the argument that inequality leads to crime.

India is more equal than the United States and any country in Latin America. It's intentional homicide rate it also significantly lower (3.4/100,000) than any rate in the Americas (average 15.5/100,000), with the exception of Canada (also significantly more equal than the U.S.).

Things are pretty bad for most people in Indonesia. I traveled through some very poor villages, but never felt like I was in danger of any kind. There's definitely a cultural element at play here.

MikeB12 said:
Its probably a combination of many of the factors listed here.
MikeB12 said:
poverty
income inequality
drug abuse
culture
lack of law and order

Put all these together and then add the fact that these ppl are being constantly told and shown that they can do whatever they want and theat they will get away with it !
If you look at the tragic video, the murderer walks away from the scene carelessly without any worries, he knows nothing will happen to him, even if caught, he´ll be back in the villa and on the streets the very next day (an army of "human rights" lawyers and judges will make sure this guy is released as soon as possible, as always ! ) ...This, is actually a well thought out plan and it´s being followed religiously and those in power (aka Kirchneristas) are very well profiting from this (they will keep on getting re-elected)

bradlyhale said:
India is more equal than the United States and any country in Latin America. It's intentional homicide rate it also significantly lower (3.4/100,000) than any rate in the Americas (average 15.5/100,000), with the exception of Canada (also significantly more equal than the U.S.).
Bradly, The problem I have with these statistics is that there is probably a lot of guesswork on how they are collected. There is no international standards for law enforcement reporting of crimes, nor any dependable way that economic data, such as income levels of the top and bottom 10% of the population of a country. I will always be suspicious of data provided by groups that have an agenda to promote. However we can agree that it was a horrible crime that should not have happened in a place where most of us have often visited (and I never felt in danger there)

What's funny is that many of the people who believe this also believe that the Falklands belong to Argentina rather than the people who live there...

They can stay where they are (in their own houses), but under Argentinian sovereignty. Sovereignty =/= ownership.

Back