tourist visa not renewed in Colonia!

bradlyhale said:
Well, be an inhabitant with a valid tourist visa. By overstaying a tourist visa, a foreigner is on Argentine soil without the government's permission.

1) We are talking about I-94, not the visa. This is your mistake.
A country has the right to regulate immigration. They way they do it is with the visa and I-94. There is not visa required for the US and Europe. But they ask visa for China.

2) On the other hand, once you are allowed to get into Argentinian soil, people have the right to be here.

bradlyhale said:
If everyone who set foot on Argentine soil deserved to live here, they wouldn't bother giving out tourist visas in the first place.

1) It is related to control that the visas and passports are not fake.
2) The point, and you intuitively realize that, is that the whole immigration law is against the constitucion, it means, it is illegal. I never mention it because it is easier to deal with citizenship law.

bradlyhale said:
So, respect the visa.

I'm talking about other countries. Let's say a Polish tourist goes to Buenos Aires for a year and takes your irresponsible advice to just overstay the visa.

bradlyhale said:
your advice to overstay the visa here is utter stupidity.

Be careful with your words young man. The only irresponsible here is you because you have no idea about what you are talking about.

Regards

Liam3494 said:
For the sake of my mind - let alone everyone elses who is so sad that they spend all day reading these sites..... IT IS NOT ILLEGAL to leave the country every 90 days and come back, thereby gaining a new 90 day entry TOURIST Visa. There is no law in this country that says that you cannot do this - It is not that Argentina do not enforce the law. THERE IS NO LAW in the first place.

It is ILLEGAL to overstay your 90 day Visa, that bit is simple, and if you are working on a tourist Visa, that is illegal, but if you are simply enjoying life, bumming around,chilling out, staying in BsAs with a bit of money in your pocket, and acting as tourist, you are not Breaking any laws by leaving the country and coming back every 90 days. Seriously.....

I suggest you read decreto 616-2010. I already quote the relevant part in this thread.
Regards

bradlyhale said:
When I say that applying for visas might be hell if one overstays his/her visa, I'm not talking about Argentina. I'm talking about other countries. Let's say a Polish tourist goes to Buenos Aires for a year and takes your irresponsible advice to just overstay the visa. The tourist pays the fine and then goes back to Poland. Then, the Polish tourist decides to go to the United States. Given that Poland is not in the U.S. Visa Waiver Program, she/he must apply for a visa. Although Argentina didn't put anything ugly in the tourist's passport, U.S. consular agents know how to do math. In fact, looking at how a person handled other visas in the U.S. or other countries is a pretty decent indicator of how they might handle a new one. There is no way that the U.S. (and perhaps other countries) would give a visa to someone who overstayed another visa, be it from the U.S. or anywhere else.

Well, just as an example, I do know an American who was refused entry into the UK after overstaying her tourist visa in France.
I had a long-stay visa for France and left for my home country via the UK BEFORE the visa expired. I was given a 2-week stamp to get out of the country, normally as Commonwealth I should be entitled to 6 months as a tourist. The UK border agents are the most hard-assed I've ever met. If you overstay here, don't go to the UK!!!! If you claim to have Argentinian residency, they have every right to ask you for proof. If you can't produce it, they'll doubt your whole story and no entry for you.
My point is that you can't predict what consular or border agents will do.

Bajo_cero2 said:
1) We are talking about I-94, not the visa. This is your mistake.
A country has the right to regulate immigration. They way they do it is with the visa and I-94. There is not visa required for the US and Europe. But they ask visa for China.

2) On the other hand, once you are allowed to get into Argentinian soil, people have the right to be here.

1) It is related to control that the visas and passports are not fake.
2) The point, and you intuitively realize that, is that the whole immigration law is against the constitucion, it means, it is illegal. I never mention it because it is easier to deal with citizenship law.

Be careful with your words young man. The only irresponsible here is you because you have no idea about what you are talking about.

Regards

Don't patronize me. No, Argentina doesn't require a "visa," per se, from many citizens for stays up to 90 days. This is irrelevant, though, as its semantics. A person who stays in the country beyond the days permitted by the Argentine government no longer has the permission of the Argentine government to be in the country. Again, if everyone had the right to stay in Argentina, then Argentina would stop giving 90-day airport visas in the first place.

ndcj said:
I think you have this entirely upside down.

Having a gazillion Argentinian residencia transitoria stamps in your passport from multiple Colonia runs is what is likely to alert a US consular officer that you don't mind at least bending the rules.

Remember that if you arrived on a tourist visa and gained residency, you don't have anything stamped in your passport, so the theoretical US consular officer couldn't draw a conclusion one way or the other if didn't have stamps every 90 days to spell it out!

A person with a bazillion tourist visa stamps would only be asked what they were doing with the tourist visa. In a lot of peoples' cases, this would be problematic. However, if a person left before the 90 days expired in every case AND was not working on a tourist visa, this would *likely not* raise any red flags. There would be some 'splainin to do. Regarding getting residency on a tourist visa, you'd just tell that consular agent that. They are not just calculators. In all cases, they just have to substantiate the person's activities, which could be difficult, I'll admit.

If the Argentine government gave the person a tourist visa for 90 days every year, the U.S. would have no questions about them "bending the rules." After all, a government official gave the person permission to remain in Argentina for an additional 90 days. How is that bending the rules? If the Argentine government OK's it, it's not our problem. Overstaying, however, is another matter, and I can guarantee you that if a U.S. consular agent finds out that a tourist visa applicant overstayed her/his visa in another country, the applicant will not get a tourist visa in the United States. It's blatant refusal to return to a country's immigration officials for permission to remain in the country.

Another argument against going to Colonia :

Imagine one day the US (or France or whatever country) decide to deport a few 1000s of illegal Argentineans.

Reciprocity = Argentina will deport as many Americans real quickly.

Who do you think they'll target ? --> Permatourists

Where do you think they'll grab them ?
--> Option 1 : they'll dispatch thousands of investigators to track down permatourists living "under the radar" on Argentinean soild.
--> Option 2 : they'll set up a team of less than 10 officers to wait patiently at the Buquebus terminal for permatourists coming back from Colonia.

Anyway, if such a situation was to arise, people would have time to analyse the situation and not go to Colonia (but there would still be a small proportion who would)

Nevertheless for newcomers here who intend to stay 9/12 months = no big deal going to Colonia. No big deal neither not going to Colonia.

French jurist said:
Imagine one day the US (or France or whatever country) decide to deport a few 1000s of illegal Argentineans.

Reciprocity = Argentina will deport as many Americans real quickly.

Didn't someone recently post that there are at least 2000 Argentines either being deported annually from the US or are currently awaiting deportation, and that many of them are presently incarcerated?

If this is likely to lead to an immigration showdown (reciprocity), Argentina doesn't seem to be very quick on the draw.

Perhaps this is because foreigners have rights in Argentina that they wouldn't have in the USA, even if they have overstayed their visas? Has even one US citizen ever been deported from or incarcerated in Argentina for overstaying their tourist visa?

bradlyhale said:
Again, if everyone had the right to stay in Argentina, then Argentina would stop giving 90-day airport visas in the first place.

Well, this is a little naive.
And it only shows your lack of understanding of the Argentinian legal system. I suggest you first read the two thread about this subject because you obviously didn´t read them.

bradlyhale said:
A person with a bazillion tourist visa stamps would only be asked what they were doing with the tourist visa. In a lot of peoples' cases, this would be problematic. However, if a person left before the 90 days expired in every case AND was not working on a tourist visa, this would *likely not* raise any red flags.

Wrong.
If you have 10 stamps in your passport, it will be noticed by any immigration agent alla round the world, or not?

bradlyhale said:
Overstaying, however, is another matter, and I can guarantee you that if a U.S. consular agent finds out that a tourist visa applicant overstayed her/his visa in another country, the applicant will not get a tourist visa in the United States. It's blatant refusal to return to a country's immigration officials for permission to remain in the country.

Is it you legal advice? I know a lawyer who specializes about immigration to the US, what about if we ask somebody with the proper expertize?

Regards

steveinbsas said:
Didn't someone recently post that there are at least 2000 Argentines either being deported annually from the US or are currently awaiting deportation, and that many of them are presently incarcerated?

If this is likely to lead to an immigration showdown (reciprocity), Argentina doesn't seem to be very quick on the draw.

Perhaps this is because foreigners have rights in Argentina that they wouldn't have in the USA, even if they have overstayed their visas? Has even one US citizen ever been deported from or incarcerated in Argentina for overstaying their tourist visa?

Take an election year, mix it with a dosis of populism (always popular for a developping country to hit on the head of more powerful countries, especially the US), shake shake shake (your booty :p) and pour... Et voilà !

It's just an hypothesis though but still, elections are in 8 months.

French jurist said:
Take an election year, mix it with a dosis of populism (always popular for a developping country to hit on the head of more powerful countries, especially the US), shake shake shake (your booty :p) and pour... Et voilà !

It's just an hypothesis though but still, elections are in 8 months.

Interesting hypothesis, indeed. Do you think this an issue that resonates with voters here? In other words, is there enough resentment against the US for deporting "illegal" Argentinians to garner many votes in the upcoming election if retaliatory action is taken (or even advocated) against the permatourists from the USA?

Bajo_cero2 said:
I suggest you read decreto 616-2010. I already quote the relevant part in this thread.
Regards

I have - And I stand by my comments.

I am not trying to convince people to go to Colonia (or wherever), one way or another, nor am I touting for business as an immigration lawyer/expert. I simply am stating the present legality of the situation, and until such time as that changes, I stand by my statements.

I believe there has been more than enough said about this on here.. I shall take my leave.

Back