tourist visa not renewed in Colonia!

steveinbsas said:
Interesting hypothesis, indeed. Do you think this an issue that resonates with voters here? In other words, is there enough resentment against the US for deporting "illegal" Argentinians to garner many votes in the upcoming election if retaliatory action is taken (or even advocated) against the permatourists from the USA?

Sincerely no, it's just a pure hypothesis. Nevertheless since populism is so high here, would it happen that it wouldn't be surprising (but likely the US or whatever country would deport another bunch of Argentineans as a retortion = dangerous game).

Furthermore, after almost 8 years year, I'm still trying to understand how the politics work here.

milly said:
Well, just as an example, I do know an American who was refused entry into the UK after overstaying her tourist visa in France.
I had a long-stay visa for France and left for my home country via the UK BEFORE the visa expired. I was given a 2-week stamp to get out of the country, normally as Commonwealth I should be entitled to 6 months as a tourist. The UK border agents are the most hard-assed I've ever met. If you overstay here, don't go to the UK!!!! If you claim to have Argentinian residency, they have every right to ask you for proof. If you can't produce it, they'll doubt your whole story and no entry for you.
My point is that you can't predict what consular or border agents will do.

This will happen with anyone who has to apply for a U.S. visa (non visa waiver). If the consular agent sees that a person overstayed a visa in another country, it is one of the best indicators that he/she might overstay a tourist visa from the United States. The person will be denied the visa. Your story only highlights the possibility in other countries.

bradlyhale said:
This will happen with anyone who has to apply for a U.S. visa (non visa waiver). If the consular agent sees that a person overstayed a visa in another country, it is one of the best indicators that he/she might overstay a tourist visa from the United States. The person will be denied the visa. Your story only highlights the possibility in other countries.

It can also happen to those traveling under the VWP program, with far more inconvenient consequences (you'll be turned around at the port of entry, wasted airfare and no right of appeal).

Do you sincerely think that the US embassy here is not aware of the whole permatourist thing? That they are stupid enough to not recognise that someone with entry stamps every 90 days is a permatourist? Remember that tourist visas are about intent.

If you intend to stay here for ever and get stamps every 90 days, I would think this theoretical US consular officer would seem far more likely to read bad intent into that, regardless of whether it's permitted under Argentine law or not. Remember that he is considering whether you're an overstay risk in the United States, not Argentina.

Both overstaying and having a million stamps back and forth from Colonia mean a risk when you apply for visas to countries like the US or UK, because you're right, if they ask the right questions and you tell the truth, it's likely to cast your application in a bad light.

Having pages and pages of stamps for every 90 days means they won't even need to ask the question, it will be immediately obvious! Sure, if you overstayed they may ask you to prove your residency, but then again, they might not. They might assume you had some kind of residency, or that you didn't get an exit stamp, or that you exited on a different passport, or any one of a dozen different possibilities.

If you're worried about keeping your nose clean for easy visas and visa-free travel, you might want to consider some option other than either of these two!

ndcj said:
It can also happen to those traveling under the VWP program, with far more inconvenient consequences (you'll be turned around at the port of entry, wasted airfare and no right of appeal).

Do you sincerely think that the US embassy here is not aware of the whole permatourist thing? That they are stupid enough to not recognise that someone with entry stamps every 90 days is a permatourist? Remember that tourist visas are about intent.

If you intend to stay here for ever and get stamps every 90 days, I would think this theoretical US consular officer would seem far more likely to read bad intent into that, regardless of whether it's permitted under Argentine law or not. Remember that he is considering whether you're an overstay risk in the United States, not Argentina.

Both overstaying and having a million stamps back and forth from Colonia mean a risk when you apply for visas to countries like the US or UK, because you're right, if they ask the right questions and you tell the truth, it's likely to cast your application in a bad light.

Having pages and pages of stamps for every 90 days means they won't even need to ask the question, it will be immediately obvious! Sure, if you overstayed they may ask you to prove your residency, but then again, they might not. They might assume you had some kind of residency, or that you didn't get an exit stamp, or that you exited on a different passport, or any one of a dozen different possibilities.

If you're worried about keeping your nose clean for easy visas and visa-free travel, you might want to consider some option other than either of these two!

I agreed with you that it would raise questions. On the other hand, hopping over to Colonia or elsewhere shows one's intent to respect the airport visa and be reviewed by Argentina's immigration authority every 90 days. I'm telling you, that's crucial. The U.S. doesn't care how Argentina allows other people to use its visas.

I also agree that people should "become legal." However, do so having the permission from the Argentine government to be in the country.

bradlyhale said:
On the other hand, hopping over to Colonia or elsewhere shows one's intent to respect the airport visa and be reviewed by Argentina's immigration authority every 90 days.

It actually shows an intent to play the smartie, it is far from respecting the laws or being compliant, sorry!

nikad said:
It actually shows an intent to play the smartie, it is far from respecting the laws or being compliant, sorry!
Sorry ! What crap ! What laws ? Compliance with what ? With immigration here being an absurd shell game, what exactly would someone have to be in compliance with ? Many posters here can quote "the law" until they are blue in the face, but the application of the law is the reality.

Johnny said:
Sorry ! What crap ! What laws ? Compliance with what ? With immigration here being an absurd shell game, what exactly would someone have to be in compliance with ? Many posters here can quote "the law" until they are blue in the face, but the application of the law is the reality.
Until any judge wakes up one day and decides to interpret those laws that you pretend aren´t there. In case you do not know it, one of the basic principles of the legal system in the country is to respect the law´s spirit, and that will be anything judges agree upon. Bajo_Cero already cited some modifications, and I think it is a matter of time until these parody comes to an end, especially being the Ks in charge ( whom I do not support but are known for creating conflicts with different countries for the lamest reasons, check the US plane incident )

bradlyhale said:
I agreed with you that it would raise questions. On the other hand, hopping over to Colonia or elsewhere shows one's intent to respect the airport visa and be reviewed by Argentina's immigration authority every 90 days. I'm telling you, that's crucial. The U.S. doesn't care how Argentina allows other people to use its visas.

I also agree that people should "become legal." However, do so having the permission from the Argentine government to be in the country.

Well, with a different retoric, we agree. Both situations are equally illegals and both situations might be an issue if you apply for a US or UK visa or I-94.

However, how can they note this? Only if you have a passport full of stamps because they do not have access to the DGM database.

Regards

citygirl said:
Had you previously renewed your visa at Migraciones (prior to going to Colonia in November)? If so, when you went to Colonia, the immigration officer there COULD NOT give you a stamp for longer than the previous stamp given at migraciones.

You leave nov 25 to Uruguay but because your previous stamp was issued by migraciones, you can only get 3 days when you return (as the dates issued by migraciones can't be overriden)

I've never heard of any other circumstance in which you would have had a 3 day entry stamp given by Argentine migraciones. That seems quite strange.

Hello All,
I am just reading this old thread for the first time. I have currently been here for about 5 months. I have been searching constantly for a job that will make me legal and still without luck. No job. Its fine because I knew this prior and have saved up enough to live for at least one year, however I want the job to make me legal. Now, for my previous visa extension, I went to Migraciones. Will I be having the same problem in one month when I go to Colonia, as for them not allowing me another 90 days for they will be over-riding the current stamp I have from Migraciones?

I know I have the option of staying "illegal" but I would prefer to keep this as "legal" as possible.

All comments are appreciated.
Saludos,
Drew

RobinsonGO said:
Will I be having the same problem in one month when I go to Colonia, as for them not allowing me another 90 days for they will be over-riding the current stamp I have from Migraciones?
Saludos,
Drew
If you have a prórroga (extension) from migraciones, the date cannot be overridden.

Example: You have a prórroga from migraciones until May 20. You must leave Argentina no later than that date, but if you return before or on May 20, you are "doomed" to get a stamp with a handwritten date "hasta 20 mayo". It means that in this example you have to stay in Uruguay until May 21, on and after which date nobody (normally) cares, you are just another tourist. This is why I always warn people to stay away from migraciones.

Back