Trabajo en Blanco/Legal Work

Fellini5

Registered
Hey. I am starting on some things to get a work visa. If anyone has been through a similar process, and could give me advice/fill in some of the details, that would be great:)

So they tell me that I need:

-a certificado de nacimiento (birth certificate) with the sello de país. I'm not sure if that is just the stamp that is already on the birth certificate or if it needs to be signed by a notary again.

-a certificado de FBI (FBI certificate) with a sello de país from an employee of the FBI. Which requires going to a police station to have a form filled out and also fingerprints taken...I believe. Then I send these things to the FBI with ¨urgente¨ on them so I can get the paperwork back.

After that, I have to go to migraciones to get the actual work visa. However, I think I can do that after I have started working for the company.

Has anyone already been through this process? If so, could you tell me how you did it? Thanks.

I think you may use the search engine of this forum to find previous threads on the issue. Good luck!

Fellini5 said:
Hey. I am starting on some things to get a work visa. If anyone has been through a similar process, and could give me advice/fill in some of the details, that would be great:)

So they tell me that I need:

-a certificado de nacimiento (birth certificate) with the sello de país. I'm not sure if that is just the stamp that is already on the birth certificate or if it needs to be signed by a notary again.

-a certificado de FBI (FBI certificate) with a sello de país from an employee of the FBI. Which requires going to a police station to have a form filled out and also fingerprints taken...I believe. Then I send these things to the FBI with ¨urgente¨ on them so I can get the paperwork back.

After that, I have to go to migraciones to get the actual work visa. However, I think I can do that after I have started working for the company.

Has anyone already been through this process? If so, could you tell me how you did it? Thanks.

Your best bet is to go to migraciones and speak to them, have them give you the list of requirements and work with that. If you don't already know, things change VERY OFTEN here and the last thing you want to do is spend a lot of time getting a folder together, waiting to present it there, and keep getting turned away because required items are missing. Plus they will get frustrated with you also. Go right to the source as people on this board have gotten their work residency in different months and years and as I said you can be guaranteed that there have been changes.

The door of Migraciones is open from 7:30am to 2pm. If you go for consultations, you need to enter through the door on the right side (preguntas). There is usually a line there. When you have your paperwork, you need to show up early in the morning because they give numbers to be called, and they gave 80 numbers when I went there some months ago.

I suggest you to bring a piece of paper and a pen, and ask the clerk (or officer) to please write down to you what is needed in order to obtain your visa. Or if you can write and this person who is behind the counter can double-check that everything you have in your own paper is accurate.

It is a waste of time, the requirements are too high.
If you have been here for some time, I suggest you go for citizenship. Regards

When I did it 3 years back, I needed my birth certificate and police record, both apostilled and translated then a zillion photocopies of my passport.

Beyond that, my employer took care of the rest. My understanding is that they have a fair amount of paperwork they need to provide demonstrating their requirement to hire an extranjero, their financial solvency, their tax audits etc. Its your employers responsibility to arrange your work permit, not yours. Beyond providing the documents above, there's not much you can do.

It's not difficult on your end assuming your employer is already registered to employee extranjeros. You will need your original birth certificate - long form - and it needs to be stamped again. It will then need to be translated into Spanish by a certified translator. You will need the FBI report (apostilled by the state dept). That process takes an average of 3+ months and there is no "rush". You will also need a local criminal background check. And yes, lots and lots of copies of your passport :)

The company and/or its lawyer should be able to walk you through the process. Again, it will take at least 3 months to get the paperwork from the US so best to start now. Also, do confirm that the company is already registered to employee extranjeros - if not, that can be a lengthy process as well.

Back