Traditional Argentine Food

I have a dual-language cookbook (left page in Castellano, right page in English), entitled ASI COCINAN LOS ARGENTINOS/HOW ARGENTINA COOKS, by Alberto Prego. First published in 2009 by Editorial El Ateneo, I feel sure that it is most likely still in print. It's an excellent cookbook with hundreds of Argentine recipes, perfect for anyone interested in cooking Argentine dishes from all regions of the country.

There is a restaurant on the corner of Juncal, and I believe Junin, that advertises as having traditional Argentine food. I believe the name is La Querencia. I've been twice, and the food was quite good, though I can't say if it meets the strict criteria some might be searching for.

Here are a couple of family favorites from the northeast. Empanadas de choclo are what we make most frequently. Let me know if you want that recipe too. We're in the US and our local Argentinean restaurants are... horrible. Fortunately, there are some great Brazilian places to get their version of empanadas, milanesas, sandwich de lomito, etc.
I would love to see a good recipe for locro and berenjenas en escabeche if anyone has those to share.

Chipa’i
1 egg
1/3 cup oil
2/3 cup milk
1 1/2 cups mandioca flour
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix all ingredients in a blender or mixer, to make a smooth batter. Spray a mini-muffin pan with vegetable oil & fill each well a little less than ½ way with batter. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until light brown. These are best while still warm.

Sopa Paraguaya
1 stick butter
3 large onions
3 cups grated white cheese (~ 1 pound. I use Munster and Mozzarella)
1 1/4 lb. frozen corn
590 ml milk (2.5 cups)
2.5 cups corn flour
10 eggs
1 tablespoon salt.

Finely chop onions and cook in butter over medium heat until they start to get soft. Cool. In a blender, add the corn (choclo) and milk. Blend a until the mixture has the consistency of a thick milkshake. Mix cooked onions and corn. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Add the corn flour, cheese, choclo & onion mixture, and salt. Mix well. Grease and lightly flour a 9" x 13" pan. Cook at ~400 F for about 40 minutes or until top is brown and a knife inserted into middle comes out clean.

Johnny said:
There is a restaurant on the corner of Juncal, and I believe Junin, that advertises as having traditional Argentine food. I believe the name is La Querencia. I've been twice, and the food was quite good, though I can't say if it meets the strict criteria some might be searching for.

El Sanjuanino (Posadas and Callao) is way better. They caught up with tourist interest and their delicious empanadas were $9 a pop. They have a lot of other regional delicacies. Try their chicken!

RNelson, I'd like to try those recipes! But what do you mean by corn flour? Is it something like polenta ground more finely or Maizena? I haven't seen anything else here...thanks!

Farenheit said:
RNelson, I'd like to try those recipes! But what do you mean by corn flour? Is it something like polenta ground more finely or Maizena? I haven't seen anything else here...thanks!

Maicena (maizena) is what you want. That's cornflour or cornstarch.

Back