Traditional UK/Canadian Christmas pudding or mince pies?

Thank you Sergio. I just attended the bakery and they had the cake in question and it does look very much like a traditional English Christmas pudding. And it's an excellent looking bakery. Now I just need to make the rum sauce. Thank you so much for your recommendation.
I'm really glad they had it available. It's a bit like a Dundee cake. Last I bought it I really thought it excellent. I am not sure I'd add rum sauce, though. At least try it out on a piece before you pour it on the whole cake. Dos Escudos is the best bakery I know. The Recoleta branch is the nicer one. Sandwiches de miga are also very good; the plain (uniced) budin ingles is also not bad.

May I just check this with you, @nikad ? I've always bought and used grasa vacuna as just ordinary rendered beef fat which some of us call dripping. Suet is the white, almost tasteless fat found only around the kidneys of cattle and when I've bought it before I've always distinguished it from the regular beef fat.
I couldn't say this fat is specifically the one around kidneys to be honest, but it is used for bakery in general so I assume it has to be very close to suet. Then you have grasa de pella ( lard ) but it is from pork so it is definitely not like suet.

I'm really glad they had it available. It's a bit like a Dundee cake. Last I bought it I really thought it excellent. I am not sure I'd add rum sauce, though. At least try it out on a piece before you pour it on the whole cake. Dos Escudos is the best bakery I know. The Recoleta branch is the nicer one. Sandwiches de miga are also very good; the plain (uniced) budin ingles is also not bad.
It is a very traditional and dear place in the city ( I die for their celery and chicken miga sandwiches! )

Yes it’s Sebo by the looks of it!
Never seen it here?
A lot of butcher stores sell sebo by the kilo to " seberos " that buy it to make soap, but I am sure that if you talk to the butcher, they can save some and sell it to you.

Back