Traductor Castellano--> English with good rates?

syngirl

Registered
I guess we're guilty of not having settled on a price with our traductora for translation of some docs from Spanish to English. We've used her for English to Spanish and assumed she charged same price for the opposite translations... nope, she charges 2 -3x more!

I just got charged 160 pesos for her to translate my husbands birth certificate to English... and that doesn't include the 45 peso sello from the Colegio de Traductores...

Does anyone have contact details for a certified translator Spanish --> English that might be a bit more reasonably priced?

The website is badly designed (works better in Firefox), but I guess she spends more time concentration on the translations: http://www.serviciodetraducciones.com/

If you can't access the website:
Av. Corrientes 1832, 4A
Tel: 011 4372 9744

She has done translations for me twice before.

You can search for translators on this website: http://www.traductores.org.ar/nuevo_org/home/busque_traductor/

They are all official and you can specifically for language and even someone in a barrio near you. I'm sure Spanish to English will be more pricey, but at least with this method you can get several quotes and go with the person who has the most reasonable rates.

Yeah that was our mistake, we've used ours quite a few times, so this past time Martin didn't even bother discussing the rate before I dropped off the papers...

We got the following translated

His Birth Certificate
My certificado de residencia precaria
His antecedentes penales

Total 3 pages (about 50 lines of text) = 480 pesos!!

And then we have to get the sellos from the Colegio de Traductores = $45 x 3

= 615 pesos total for 3 docs

(and 2 of them are literally NAME: _______ DATE OF BIRTH: ____)

I was shocked....

syngirl said:
Yeah that was our mistake, we've used ours quite a few times, so this past time Martin didn't even bother discussing the rate before I dropped off the papers...

His Birth Certificate
His antecedentes penales

I was shocked....

I made the same mistake using a translator more than once but not confirming the prices ahead of time. It's a good rule to always check! Sounds like you got ripped off. Sucks when that happens, especially when it's someone you've worked with before.

The fact is that there are no good rates for that kind of translation work. You are basically paying for that seal (which makes your translation acceptable to government agencies) and which, no matter how good/bad the actual translation is, you can only get by going to one of a translator who has been certified by the Colegio.

syngirl said:

His Birth Certificate
His antecedentes penales

I was shocked....

I think these rates are common. I had to translate the same documents to italian 6 years ago and the rate was similar to yours. Birth certificates are expensive to translate in general.

I paid 140 per document (minus the legalisation stamp at the colegio de traductores) to get my certificates translated into Spanish (from English) by a traductor publico and no one I contacted offered a cheaper rate... My UK police certificate expired a month ago and when I went to get my updated one translated (by the same translator who had translated my original certificate a couple of months earlier) - literally all she had to do was print off a copy with a new date - she charged me another 140 (claiming that she had to according to the Colegio de Traductores...). Generally, if you pay less then that, you're getting an excellent deal! Most of them make you pay through the nose for their Traductor publico stamp!

Hello all. I'm looking for someone to translate into english the written results from a recent MRI and X-rays. Probably a total of eight short paragraphs and I'd need someone familiar with medical lingo.

Any help would be much appreciated !

Back