Tragedy in Palermo

Originally Posted by nickthebrit
"its a latino thing..... look all over the world, from italy, spain, portugal, latin america, central america.....

they all think they are alonso, and the legal system can be bought,.......

name me one latin country that is honest and safe.....

its in the blood...."

Apart from being prejudiced, it's far from the truth. I've been In Madrid for 2 weeks, and I can assure you, they drive way better than here. Iv'been in London too, and even though traffic is ok there, I think that in Madrid it is a little safer. But OK, this is just my opinion, I acknowledge that. It's based on my expierence. Anyway, for those who said that nickthebrit's comment is racist but it's true... well, it isn't true.

What a politically correct little man you are.[/quote]

Alex has been called many things on this site but this is a first...but he is absolutely right that making blanket statements about latinos is just racist and ill-informed. You only have to cross the river to Uruguay to see that the driver´s respect the basic rules and show some courtesy when driving...the death toll here is exacerbated because not only is there a basic lack of authority but life is considered cheap...

fifs2 said:
not only is there a basic lack of authority but life is considered cheap...

Come come, wherever you are from, your country has probably invaded more countries than all Latin countries put together in the past 100 years.

If you'd like to talk about respecting life let's do that (it'd be a change), but there's nobody here who can get on their high horse because their country respects life more than any other.

I know the thread has now wondered off and is discussing racism, xenophobia and the like, but thought I'd post this, showing that argentina is actually above average when it comes to traffic accident/fatalities stats. Yes, BA may be worse but argentina is far from having the "worlds highest vehicular death rate" as Alex, for some reason, believes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

JoeBlow said:
Come come, wherever you are from, your country has probably invaded more countries than all Latin countries put together in the past 100 years.

If you'd like to talk about respecting life let's do that (it'd be a change), but there's nobody here who can get on their high horse because their country respects life more than any other.

I´m climbing down as we speak JoeBlow as I really didnt mean to sound all holier than thou..it was meant more as a lamentful observation than a criticism..a dead child found in a city centre rubbish bin, a pregnant woman shot, 5 yr old on his own begging on Libertador at 9am on Monday, juvenile drivers who don´t seem to fear their own mortality not to mention that of the poor victims...it just seems that life is considered as a cheap commodity in much the same way it was in Victorian Britain where 7 year olds were required to work 6 days a week..fyi my home countrymen (Ireland) chose to freely and literally p*ss their own lives away but I believe my country and many others with more centuries of institutions behind them seem to have organized in such a way where life´s value is a little better understood and protected....and perhaps yes there is less meaningless loss of life as a result.

fifs2 said:
You only have to cross the river to Uruguay to see that the driver´s respect the basic rules and show some courtesy when driving...

That's not right. I live part-time there, and can attest to the fact that Uruguayans drivers break every rule in the book: they speed like crazy, and pass on curves, hills, or with double yellow lines on the road.

Traffic in Uruguay is just as chaotic as in Argentina - the only difference is that there are far fewer cars on that side of the river. Try crossing the Montevideo rambla on foot, and see how much courtesy you get.

SaraSara said:
That's not right. I live part-time there, and can attest to the fact that Uruguayans drivers break every rule in the book: they speed like crazy, and pass on curves, hills, or with double yellow lines on the road.

Traffic in Uruguay is just as chaotic as in Argentina - the only difference is that there are far fewer cars on that side of the river. Try crossing the Montevideo rambla on foot, and see how much courtesy you get.

Darn another theory cast in the trash...but they´re still lovely folks those Uruguayans..

fifs2 said:
Darn another theory cast in the trash...but they´re still lovely folks those Uruguayans..

True, outside their cars they are very patient, and exquisitely polite. No one tries to jump the line at the bank or the grocery store, and they always seem to have time to stop and chat with everyone. After BA, Colonia feels like stepping in the Time Machine - very refreshing...:)

After BA, Colonia feels like stepping in the Time Machine - very refreshing

Again,comparing a city of 14million to Colonia is wrong. Go to any middle sized town in Argentina (and I dont mean San Isidro),and the experience will be the same.

Good point; I should have said Uruguay. Which feels like Argentina fifty years ago - that's why many people like it.

Small towns in BA feel very much like Colonia - people in Azul and Coronel Pringles are just as friendly and relaxed. That is true even in San Isidro.

Back