Tragedy in Palermo

Esllou,

I would ask that you do your due diligence before trying to call me out. First of all the statistics you are posting are from 2000, do you know that it is 2010 ? Also WHO doesn't break down their statistics on a per 100,000 vehicle basis so their statistics are incomplete. You would need both figures to come up with a more complete ratio. I'd go into the reasons, but why bother.

Argentina has for quite some time had one of the highest vehicular death rates in the world especially when taking into account population and vehicles per person. I think the only nations that might have worse statistics are located in Africa. But as far as Europe and the Western Hemisphere, Argentina has consistently been the worst if not one of the worst.

Having said that, the rate has dropped about 5-8% over the past 2 years in Buenos Aires Capital. I credit alot of that with the governments recent push to try and enforce it's current laws and also it's recent seat belt campaigns and it's new campaign against cell phone use. The government has finally figured out that it is costing them more money to deal with the aftermath of all this vehicular lawlessness than it does to enforce current laws.

If you want recent stats on Argentina, you should look at this website since they update their statistics every year. Plus they do a great job of breaking down the statistics so that you might be able to understand them better. There are also other sites where you can find more comprehensive data.

http://www.luchemos.org.ar/es/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=5&Itemid=54

muertosmundovsargentina.png

esllou said:
Yes, BA may be worse but argentina is far from having the "worlds highest vehicular death rate" as Alex, for some reason, believes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Statistics are usually inaccurate, but in Argentina they are very inaccurate, and ar manipulated and falsified more here than most places in the world. Most accicdents and crimes are not reported, as they are dealt with without going thru the police in most cases, and in fact the police often tell you not to file a report.

For example, I walk everywhere in Mendoza, and I see accidents everyday. I went years in Canada without seeing accidents happen.

SaraSara said:
Thanks for that interesting map - Argentina seems to rank alongside Canada, and Uruguay and Australia are lower.

yep, pretty cool when you leave the woods and take a global perspective.

Yeah, the Canada comment made me chuckle. Ahhh, ignorance is bliss. Who are we to stand in the way of that.

AlexfromLA said:
Again, you don't seem to know how to correlate data.

hey, it was you who started desperately backtracking once you were called on your false statement that "Argentina has the worlds highest vehicular death rate". I never made that statement, you did. Then you began saying "comparable countries" and "Europe and the western hemisphere". I'm just waiting for you to state that "argentina has the most auto accidents in which argentines are killed...nobody comes close!" and then we can end the thread.

We call it "moving the goalposts" in the UK. Pretty funny to watch. :)

esllou said:
hey, it was you who started desperately backtracking once you were called on your false statement that "Argentina has the worlds highest vehicular death rate". I never made that statement, you did. Then you began saying "comparable countries" and "Europe and the western hemisphere". I'm just waiting for you to state that "argentina has the most auto accidents in which argentines are killed...nobody comes close!" and then we can end the thread.

We call it "moving the goalposts" in the UK. Pretty funny to watch. :)

That's hilarious... ;)

Alex is in my Ignore list so I don't read his masterpieces, but according to the quotes I see posted he appears to be on self-destruct mode.

You still don't understand that you are referencing incomplete data do you ?

Go chat it up with your 65 year old cheerleader. I really have no time for your simplistic google.com counter arguments.

I am with Alex on this one and know that for the amount of cars and people Argentinas death toll is very high. I for the life cannot understand the mediocrity of people like Ellsou who try to make cheap political points about a subject that is so sensitive .

I have lost many loved ones due to crazy drivers and can see the realities of life in Argentina and its appalling road rules.

Back