Tragedy in Palermo

Last week I collided with a car who tried to make a right from the center lane, right across my fender. Instead of getting behind me to turn right, he cut in front. He was furious and blamed me for not stopping in time. The interesting thing is that he was not bluffing - he really felt he was entitled to do whatever he wanted.

This nut had his young son in the passenger seat. Luckily I was doing maybe ten kms/hr. and my bumper dented his rear door. Had I been going faster I might have hit the front door, and perhaps hurt his son.

Traffic is terrible and getting worse by the minute - I forgot exactly how many new cars hit the streets each month, but the figure is scary. The streets are overloaded, drivers are on edge, and it takes very little to set them off. The bus driver who killed that boy went off his regular route to avoid a traffic jam.

I once boarded the 93 bus in Palermo near Plaza Italia and it got me to Olazábal and Mariano Acha in 14 minutes. Why do we need the train bala when we have collectivo balas?

its a latino thing..... look all over the world, from italy, spain, portugal, latin america, central america.....

they all think they are alonso, and the legal system can be bought,.......

name me one latin country that is honest and safe.....

its in the blood....

look at the PIGS this year in Europe.... no wonder the Germans are p155ed off, its like catching the bank robber, and letting them off,,,, with a reward

as soon as we all learn, that the latino's are just bent and crazy, then the sooner, the countries that latino can become honest... and civilised

its ok living every day on $3 dollar bottle of wine and a gorgeous $7 steak.... but we all contributing to the corruption

we all know what it is like dealing with government, spanish brain laziness, manjana mentallity.... arrogance

and every day they kill their own people

this contribution, can be written in BA, MAdrid, Mexico, Rome, Lisbon...

the sooner the EU collapses the better...

the spanish brain has to learn to be HONEST, ON TIME, RESPECT LIFE and their FELLOW CITIZENS

Four words,
GET USED TO IT,

Nada you can say or anyone else can say here or to the local authorities.
Simply put and sadly so,

THIS IS BUENOS AIRES.

Try to enjoy your time here and stay out of the local politics. You will remain happy and healty.
jedard

nickthebrit said:
its a latino thing..... look all over the world, from italy, spain, portugal, latin america, central america.....

they all think they are alonso, and the legal system can be bought,.......

name me one latin country that is honest and safe.....

its in the blood....

Let's not forget about Mexico. The land of corruption and stupidity.

Let's not forget about Mexico. The land of corruption and stupidity,

Having been born and raised in Chile, one can compare, and the police there are respected and they enforce the "common sense" rules. Here there is a lack of respect for the police as they don't do much to enforce the rules. Sad that people have to lose their lives...:(

It's not only a matter of culture (latin or other), it's too a political unwillingness.
In the early 70s in France, there were like 23.000 casualties per year (with less traffic, less population but with cars that had no seatbelts and so on..).

Now, it's less than 5.000 :
- around 1973 the seatbelt became mandatory in vehicles
- 15 years ago you could still drive without fastening your seatbelt but the law changed and people who did so became systematically fined
- reckless driving has been criminalized
and since ten years, if you pass the speed limit by a certain percentage, police seizes your car and you walk home.

It's too a matter of education of course

I agree with French Jurist, it's a matter of educating the public about it. I am not saying that anything could be done to change the minds of the older stubborn-headed Argentines, but perhaps a long campaign the targets the younger people could help over time.

It seems to me that it is similar to when people in the states all those years ago thought that drinking and driving was a fine thing to do. What happened? Nothing changed until people started to vioce thier opinions on it and demand change. They raised awareness and showed people how dangerous it really is. Once they had enough people they petitioned thier government to enforce a change.

Yes yes, I understand that here something like that is much harder, and perhaps impossible, to do, but there is always a possible solution.

But to me, the bottom line is a lack of respect for authority that goes back to the begining of the country. People here have never had much respect for authority. Not for police, for government or anyone who tries to offer a different opinion.

Only way it can change is through a movement by the younger people, who are more open minded here, but I may just be dreaming.

Back