train to Tigre

austin said:
You get a view of the river on the tourist train. Also Barracas station has a great flea market on weekends.

You people. Can you tell the difference between Barracas and BarraNNNNNNNcas (de Belgrano)?

Two very different places, quite a trek from each other.

Plaza Sesamo has been brought to you today by the letter N

Well, I took both trains recently. First I went Retiro => Tigre. 1.35 pesos I think it cost. We even got seats (eventhough it was a beautiful sunday). Everything fine, even had A/C :eek:
If you get on the train on a later stop the seats will all be already taken of course.

On going back we first went with the Tren de la Costa (16 pesos for foreigners but since my argentine friend bought both tickets I decided to keep my mouth shut and pay the argentine price of 8 pesos too). The train was just as crowded as the normal train was in the morning and we only got seats due to being a little quicker on entering then most of the others :D
In Maipu (a part of Olivos?) the Tren de la Costa ends and you have to change to the normal train, which has a terminal station there so you get onto an empty train with lots of space for going back to retiro.

IMHO the direct Retiro<==>Tigre train beats the tren de la costa (better price, no changing of trains, Tigre station better located than the tren de la costa station). Nevertheless I don't regret having taken the tren de la costa for going back. It is just a different experience. Seems to me that you can't do much wrong though, both trains seem a good way to go to Tigre and the difference in price should not be relevant either, we are not talking about a daily commute here.

NoPat said:
You people. Can you tell the difference between Barracas and BarraNNNNNNNcas (de Belgrano)?

No, there is a station along the line from Maipu to Tigre that is called Barracas....Well, something like that. I was not referring to the place in Belgrano.

OK, I just saw that Steve cleared this up. I was right. Don't be so snooty, NoPat. I was just offering some good advice about a nice flea market.

austin said:
No, there is a station along the line from Maipu to Tigre that is called Barracas.... Well, something like that. I was not referring to the place in Belgrano.

OK, I just saw that Steve cleared this up. I was right. Don't be so snooty, NoPat. I was just offering some good advice about a nice flea market.

Snooty? I was trying to prevent someone getting lost.

You, on the other hand, with your precise directions (see above) aren't a lot of help I'm afraid. People confusing Barrancas with Barracas (there's more than a handful) are in for quite a ride when they can't tell one from the other

thanks to all for the advice about traveling to Tigre. I'd love insights about the most worthwhile things to once getting there, as well as whether it matters what day one chooses to go (weekend vs weekday, whether some weekdays are particularly dead/alive, etc) Thanks!

in the week it,s fairly quiet with about about 40% of the stalls open,as the weekend nears it gets busier and Sunday it,s PACKED.For me. the best time is early Saturday morning...

NoPat said:

I am moving my last post because Austin has nothing to apologize for.

He was referring to the Feria de Anticuarios (Antique Fair) at the station of Barracas on the tren de la costa (tourist train).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY9N8q5HRpA

I never took the tren de la costa to Tigre, but I knew about the antique fair at the Barracs station and never confused it for Barrio Barracas for a nanosecond as I read Austin's post ( it's a matter of context).

And nothing sounds much "snootier" than the words, "You people. Can't you tell the difference...":p

steveinbsas said:
I knew about the antique fair at the Barracs station and never confused it for Barrio Barracas for a nanosecond as I read Austin's post.

You haven't confused them but a lot of people -OP included- might have. You know them but a lot don't. I've seen the Barracas (barrio) & Barrancas (de Belgrano) getting mixed up often enough.

steveinbsas said:
And nothing sounds much "snootier" than the words, "You people. Can't you tell the difference...":p

Well I thought it was a bit rich to be accused of snootiness by someone who did look like having not much of a clue.

Nanosecond? Spare me... Yes, snooty. Or, like, whatever.

NoPat said:
Well I thought it was a bit rich to be accused of snootiness by someone who did look like having not much of a clue.

Nanosecond? Spare me... Yes, snooty. Or, like, whatever.

Spare you? I already did when I didn't comment about the Sesame Street anology (which some might also consider snooty):

NoPat said:

In spite of his apology, I can still hope that Austin has a Big Bird for you.:D

Back