Transfering USD to Argentina

wstevens said:
Thanks a lot to all of your for your help. I think I have a better understanding of the situation then. From what I have read in this post as well as in other posts. The best things to do are:

-Bring lots of cash if possible.
- Use services like Xoom to get a blue chip exchange rate.
- Try to get an apartment, where I can pay my rent to an account that is outside of
Argentina and use my dollar position to negotiate a lower price.

yes if the $4000 is going into a US account I think the easiest thing to do would be to set up a reoccurring xoom transfer.

DavieW said:
Not sure what you're planning to do with USD4000/month.....but you'll be living like royalty!

You have PM wstevens.

4000 uS$/month is just good enough for a decent life. NOT royal life.

Napoleon: you misunderstood my reply.
I was replying to the question "Can I transfer that money in dollars to Argentina if needed?" To which, the reply is "yes, at a cost of 1% with a USD100 minimum charge."And you'll have the greenbacks in your hand to exchange where you want, although the agency I use to 'import' my dollars gives a consistently higher rate than anything I've ever seen published here.If you don't know how to do that, just drop me a PM. :)

DavieW: Are You refering to pesos? and the 1%? I am referring to 3% charge but in US dollar bills here in Argentina in your pocket for small sums less than 5k. Larger sums (5k-9k) can negotiate down to 2% or even 1% in some cases.

this is a really interesting tool. If you have a bank account in Argentina, you can be a bit more selective on the exchange rate you select to move cash from account to account. Have a look: www.currencyfair.com

snowboarder said:
DavieW: Are You refering to pesos? and the 1%? I am referring to 3% charge but in US dollar bills here in Argentina in your pocket for small sums less than 5k. Larger sums (5k-9k) can negotiate down to 2% or even 1% in some cases.
No snowboarder. I have my salary sent (in USD) to an agency here who take 1% out before handing it over to me (in USD). I also convert what I need in pesos with them, at a very good rate.

I don't usually shout about it on public forums because I don't want to be introducing dozens of people who I don't know to the agency, but I know what this place is like - nobody ever believes anything that's said and are so full of themselves because they think they know better than anyone else. So, as expected, nobody hassling me for details!

mrporoto said:
Whats the best way of exporting money?any ideas.UK account.

Now you're just asking for the impossible!

Would you also like the moon on a stick?

;-)

I am confused. I thought you couldn't have USD transferred into ARgentina. Xoom transfers your money here but they give it to you in pesos, right? I know you can bring them into the country on your person. Am I missing something?

DavieW said:
Napoleon: you misunderstood my reply.
I was replying to the question "Can I transfer that money in dollars to Argentina if needed?" To which, the reply is "yes, at a cost of 1% with a USD100 minimum charge."And you'll have the greenbacks in your hand to exchange where you want, although the agency I use to 'import' my dollars gives a consistently higher rate than anything I've ever seen published here.If you don't know how to do that, just drop me a PM. :)

Unfortunately, I don't have a problem with having "too many dollars". :-(

I fall more in the category of a person who:
-Knows many of the tricks, but...
-Doesn't have thousands of dollars lying around waiting for me to decide what to do with them.

But if my parents happen to win the lottery while I'm in Argentina, I'll contact you with any questions that may arise.

Gracias

Back