Transporting cats as cargo

Kimberly M

Registered
Hi all,

My husband needs to fly to WA state with our cats this month. I spoke with American Airlines and they said the cats need to be flown as cargo and that I should hire a broker to handle all the arrangements. I see what look like good animal shipper options on ipata.org, but wondered if anyone had one they'd used and would recommend.

Thanks!

Kimberly

Please fly Delta, they allow cats in the passenger cabin. Avoid cargo at all costs. There are just so many things that can go wrong, from the crates being mishandled at the airport, crushed by other luggage, the crate door opening, animals who froze to death because the heating was not turned on, not to mention the fact it is a long flight with a connection somewhere where they could get lost.

Hi Girino,

Is Delta running flights out of Buenos Aires? I've just seen AA, United, and Aerolíneas Argentinas ones.

I guess you will need to make a connection. COPA airlines is another company that allows pets in the cabin.

Get your husband to get the cat certified as an emotional support animal here in BA. Problem solved.

I know some airlines do allow a caged pet in the cabin with the owner although I'm not so sure if they allow more than one. Hope it works out well for you.

Get your husband to get the cat certified as an emotional support animal here in BA. Problem solved.

This does not work on United because it's a flight over 8 hours. You would need to get it certified as a "trained help" animal. Like a seeing eye dog or soemthing.

This is just an example for united, others may vary.

Animals can be shipped in their crates as extra pieces of luggage. One animal per passenger allowed in the cabin, provided the carrier fits under the seat.

Animals can be shipped in their crates as extra pieces of luggage. One animal per passenger allowed in the cabin, provided the carrier fits under the seat.
Depends on the airline and routes. AA does not allow animals in cabin for flights to/from Argentina/Brazil (exceptions are made for emotional support animals).

Back