Travel Permission For Minor

Patrick2006

Registered
Hi,
I just found that we need a travel permission for minor to travel with one parent.
I would like to get one, just in case there is a family emergency.
My wife and I have PR DNI, but we do not speak Spanish, my kid is ARG citizen
Does anyone know an escribano can help?

Btw, When we get in the Arg, do we need a travel permission for minor to travel with one parent?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Btw, When we get in the Arg, do we need a travel permission for minor to travel with one parent?

Does anyone know an escribano that can help? NO....not one who speaks English.

Transportation of minors. Minors need authorization to travel within the country. Know the requirements so that they can travel alone or in company. Resolution 43/2016 Secretary of Transportation Management....

....To which transport does this rule apply?
To medium and long distance automotive passenger transport throughout the country.

What should transport companies control?
Transport companies must control the identity, age of the minor and the authorizations they need to travel.

How can a boy or girl under the age of 6 travel in medium and long distance transportation in the country? He/she can travel with one of their parents. For this, it is necessary to bring the documents that prove the family bond (ID, birth certificate, birth book, passport). If they are not traveling with their parents, they can travel with an authorized companion.

How can a boy or girl between the ages of 6 and 12 travel in medium and long distance transportation in the country?
He/she can travel with one of their parents. For this, it is necessary to bring the documents that prove the family bond (ID, birth certificate, birth book, passport). If they are not traveling with their parents, they can travel with an authorized companion. If they are traveling alone, they must use the Unaccompanied Minor Service provided by the transportation company.

How can an adolescent between the ages of 13 and 17 travel in medium and long distance transportation in the country?
He/she can travel with one of their parents. For that they have to bring the documents that prove the family bond (ID card, birth certificate, birth book, passport). If they are not traveling with their parents, they can travel with an authorized companion. If they are traveling alone, they can use the Unaccompanied Minor Service provided by the transport company.
They can travel only with authorization from your parents.

What is the Unaccompanied Minor Service?
Transport companies offer the service of a person on board who takes care of the minor from the time they get on the transport until they are delivered to the person who will receive them at the destination. Parents must designate an adult who: can accompany the minor until he/she gets on the transport. Receive the minor at the destination.
Can all minors use the Unaccompanied Minor Service? No. It can only be used by boys/girls over the age of 6 who can: Feed themselves. Cover their basic hygiene needs. Mobilize in case of evacuation. Respond to security instructions.

What happens if no one is waiting for the minor at the destination? The transport company must request the help of the public force to ensure the custody of the minor.

What is the rate for the Unaccompanied Minor Service? It has a fee that must be paid separately from the minor's travel ticket.
The rate must be published with the ticket rate.

Who can authorize a minor to travel alone or with a companion? It must be authorized by at least one of the parents. The link can be demonstrated, for example, with the DNI, birth certificate, marriage certificate that has the birth of the minor or passport noted.

Who can authorize children and adolescents to travel alone or with a companion?
The authorization can be done by: An escribano. A competency judge. The authority of the Civil Registry or Justice of the Peace.

What permission does a minor need to travel by airplane within Argentina?
Minors under 18 years of age must be authorized by their parents or legal representatives to travel both within Argentina and outside the country. This authorization is required when the minor travels alone, or with only one of his/her parents or without his/her legal representative or with a third party.

We decided to make a permit for the child to travel alone. That way they can travel with anybody as long as the child can present the document.

Naturally this may be unsafe in some situations but we feel that in our situation it was the easiest solution. That was they can travel with their grandparents as well without the need to make a new permit.

They only need this document to leave Argentina, not to enter it again.

You also need a permit to cross provincia borders, but the same permit is sufficient. Although I haven’t tried taking the bus across the border in a while I know that we need an authorization for the school to cross the border with the children to go to the next city over because it’s in a different province.

Over the years we came across several issues / problems travelling with kids:
1) once we were going with our girl to Uruguay with Buquebus. Both parents present, but my wife kept her name when we got married. So the child’s surname matches with the father’s but not with her mother’s. Luckily, in her European passport both parents’ names are mentioned. So they let us go finally. However, to avoid the risk always carry the birth certificate even if travelling with both parents
2) Then i travelled with my daughter alone to Europe. I knew about the issue of travelling with a child alone, so we got an official document from an escribano, allowing her to travel either with her father or mother. My daughter had a European passport, but only a DNI and not an Argentinian passport. Until that moment she was always travelling with her European passport. In this document there was a reference to her DNI. Apparently as an Argentinian citizen you need to travel abroad with an Argentinian passport. I wasn’t aware of that. We were rejected to leave by the border official at Ezeiza, and his supervisor confirmed this.
3) after the episode in 2) we obviously decided to get a an Argentinian passport for the daughter, and decided also to get a new carta de identidad. Before receiving the new documents, we decided to take another trip to Colonia. However, the carta de identidad (DNI) wasn’t valid any longer (once you apply for new document, you basically can’t leave the country until receiving the new ones). Also here we got a strict NO.

Ad 2) and 3): in both cases we pushed the cry button of the kid (“we can’t travel and see your Granny” … ), and when Argentinians have a weak point then it is clearly a crying kid. In both cases things escalated to the next higher level and in both cases they made an “excepción”…. That’s also Argentina ;) However, I clearly wouldn’t rely on this as a strategy.

We did the document for travelling with kids at the Escribano Ferrari in Microcentro (Peru 79). But any Escribano can do that i suppose.

Over the years we came across several issues / problems travelling with kids:
1) once we were going with our girl to Uruguay with Buquebus. Both parents present, but my wife kept her name when we got married. So the child’s surname matches with the father’s but not with her mother’s. Luckily, in her European passport both parents’ names are mentioned. So they let us go finally. However, to avoid the risk always carry the birth certificate even if travelling with both parents
2) Then i travelled with my daughter alone to Europe. I knew about the issue of travelling with a child alone, so we got an official document from an escribano, allowing her to travel either with her father or mother. My daughter had a European passport, but only a DNI and not an Argentinian passport. Until that moment she was always travelling with her European passport. In this document there was a reference to her DNI. Apparently as an Argentinian citizen you need to travel abroad with an Argentinian passport. I wasn’t aware of that. We were rejected to leave by the border official at Ezeiza, and his supervisor confirmed this.
3) after the episode in 2) we obviously decided to get a an Argentinian passport for the daughter, and decided also to get a new carta de identidad. Before receiving the new documents, we decided to take another trip to Colonia. However, the carta de identidad (DNI) wasn’t valid any longer (once you apply for new document, you basically can’t leave the country until receiving the new ones). Also here we got a strict NO.

Ad 2) and 3): in both cases we pushed the cry button of the kid (“we can’t travel and see your Granny” … ), and when Argentinians have a weak point then it is clearly a crying kid. In both cases things escalated to the next higher level and in both cases they made an “excepción”…. That’s also Argentina ;) However, I clearly wouldn’t rely on this as a strategy.

We did the document for travelling with kids at the Escribano Ferrari in Microcentro (Peru 79). But any Escribano can do that i suppose.
In the 2)
your daughter was always travelling with her European passport. Why the official suddenly found that she needs an ARG passport to go?😵

I found a lawyer. The lawyer will do the certificate and suggest to legalizacion and apostilla as well. it's around 30000 peso in total. is that fair?
Since I don't speak spanish, I need an extra document to sign. I think this is a comfortable way for me.

I remember last time my wife and I traveled with my kid. We used our own country passports, and my kid used Arg passport and DNI.
The officer check the birth certificate really carefully ............😂

Things have been changed now.
My wife and I arrived here with foreign passports, and have our PR DNI here, haven't applied the citizenship.
I think it is ok , we can leave with our PR DNI and foreign passports?

In the 2)
your daughter was always travelling with her European passport. Why the official suddenly found that she needs an ARG passport to go?😵
Ironically, it was probably just because the document I was carrying with me (authorising travelling me with my daughter alone) that lead to this problem: in this document was a reference to her DNI, and they can easily see that she is an Argentinian citizen. If I were simply travelling with our European passports, probably we wouldn't have had this issue. Nevertheless, I would still advise to get this authorisation document, and of course the Argentinian passport if the child is Argentinian citizen. (I was simply of this rule). The strange thing is: you only need a passport when leaving the country. Entering the country as an Arg citizen is always easier, you could do this with an ID card or any document confirming that you are an Arg citizen.
I found a lawyer. The lawyer will do the certificate and suggest to legalizacion and apostilla as well. it's around 30000 peso in total. is that fair?
Since I don't speak spanish, I need an extra document to sign. I think this is a comfortable way for me.
Seems about right, or even on the cheaper end.

On a side note: I was also thinking once translating this document to English. Once I was asked at the airport in Frankfurt / Germany whether I was authorised to travel with my daughter. I showed them the Spanish document I got from here in Argentina. In the end it was not an issue, but I thought it might be easier to have the document additionally in English, because this problem could really come up at any country / transfer airport.
My wife and I arrived here with foreign passports, and have our PR DNI here, haven't applied the citizenship.
I think it is ok , we can leave with our PR DNI and foreign passports?
I wouldn't see why this should be a problem. But my past tells me that I ran repeatedly into problems I wasn't aware of beforehand.

Ironically, it was probably just because the document I was carrying with me (authorising travelling me with my daughter alone) that lead to this problem: in this document was a reference to her DNI, and they can easily see that she is an Argentinian citizen. If I were simply travelling with our European passports, probably we wouldn't have had this issue. Nevertheless, I would still advise to get this authorisation document, and of course the Argentinian passport if the child is Argentinian citizen. (I was simply of this rule). The strange thing is: you only need a passport when leaving the country. Entering the country as an Arg citizen is always easier, you could do this with an ID card or any document confirming that you are an Arg citizen.

Seems about right, or even on the cheaper end.

On a side note: I was also thinking once translating this document to English. Once I was asked at the airport in Frankfurt / Germany whether I was authorised to travel with my daughter. I showed them the Spanish document I got from here in Argentina. In the end it was not an issue, but I thought it might be easier to have the document additionally in English, because this problem could really come up at any country / transfer airport.

I wouldn't see why this should be a problem. But my past tells me that I ran repeatedly into problems I wasn't aware of beforehand.
thank you so much, very detail😀

Back