Traveling within the country without your passport?

syngirl said:
They won't ask for your passport to prove your residency -- they will ask for your DNI or Libreta -- or do you only have temporary residency? (in which case I'm not sure if that is a paper in your passport or what) -- you will need proof of your residency to be able to fly on a resident-priced fare, otherwise they may make you pay the difference at the check-in counter.

A driver's license may not be accepted, do you have a residency card yet? I use the card form of my DNI for all internal flights. Or do you at least have an Argentine DL? Make a call to Aerolineas before you send off your passport and see.

What you may end up having to do is get a notarized copy of your passport with whatever evidence of your residency status it has in it and use that for the time being.

In liu of the original passport, a notarized copy will work as legal identification within the country.

Trevor, do you have a reference or source for that, or have you done it yourself?

Yes, I did this for myself 5 years ago, before my DNI came through. A copy of the photo page was notarised to overcome the need to cart it everywhere... I'm quite risk adverse. Be warned, notarisation results in a few pages of documentation so you can't easily carry it in your wallet.

Back