Tren de la Costa

My whole point was how wonderfully cynical it is to 'assume' that a foreigner is simply a tourist, no questions asked.
Having said that, most of us who have survived the tramite of DNI and residency are wiser now than before.
I always pay, even though 90% of the time your ticket is never checked (from/to Retiro)......but that 10% will one day catch up and for the sake of a few pesos, it just ain't worth it.
On tren de la costa you'd have a job evading payment as they are very stringent.
And I agree, the state of the costa line has sunk to new lows over the last few years, with vandalism and general apathy from the employees. People throw rocks at the trains, walk all over the lines and deface the trains.
Also don't even THINK of getting off at Canal, the last stop before Delta (Tigre) as it's too dangerous.
I find the trains very punctual actually.

Tren de la Coast started out as a first class operation -- really impressive. I watched them build the line and restore the stations. It was done with loving care. I took a group of visiting rawilay officials from the US and they were impressed at the quality of the line. They had not cut corners. Unfortunately the line has gradually deteriorated to the point that is now a rather poor operation. Trains have broken windows, stations are a mess. It's really a shame but so many things in Argentina just fall apart due to neglect.

The two tier fare structure has been discussed elsewhere in this website. In my opinion it's a mistake and generates ill will. I have my doubts that it is even constitutional in a country that prides itself on equality. I have been waiting for someone to challenge it in court.

Despite all the legal expats in BA, 'locals" still tend to think of anyone with an accent as an outsider. In many respects BA is not a very cosmopolitan city and provincial attitudes linger.

Not paying the fare is wrong. Yes, the queues can be long -- for the machines and the ticket window but that is no justification for evading payng the fare.

it is not about morality. It is about having a proper measure of what is right and wrong (so called culture) and follow it. It is quite cynical to complain in this forum about how rude people are and how they have no manners here and then follow their example. It is either or not the fence. Unfortunately that type of behavior makes us be the "non-respectful" foreigner that gives us a bad wrap...

Fuyi said:
You can't seriously think that the concerns of the company are accurately reflected by poorly paid, stressed out employees.

Train tickets in the UK are about 50 times as expensive, in absolute terms. The networks are not as efficient as some of the European ones and the tickets are not as cheap, so if you wanted to try your luck dodging your fair I'd wish you all the best, I've done it may times. However, over here many people rely on the unrealistically low train fare to get through their day with some small amount of dignity. The fare is so low that there's really no excuse not to pay it.

Public transportation in Argentina is subsidized by the State. Companies fill out a "sworn statement" telling the government how many tickets they've "sold." Corruption is rampant, and it is assumed that the companies lie. This is one of the reasons that the national government wants to fully implement the SUBE card so that the government can "subsidize people and not companies" -- not my words, but those of the Ministry of Transportation.

So you tell me, if they can put down any number they want in a "sworn statement" because they can (and supposedly do) make up how many passengers are buying tickets, what's the point in selling tickets? Subway stations often lack employees at the boleterias (they're usually drinking mate somewhere else in the station); they often just wave you through the gate for free after 10 p.m.; and in many stations they don't have anyone manning the exit gates, so people just get on for free whenever they want. Would this be the behavior of a company that that had to actually make its money?

steveinbsas said:
Recently I got a ticket for driving on the ruta without my headilghts on at noon. I am certain it was the first time I forgot to turn them on during the day. I paid $210 pesos for that error, but at least I can say it wasn't deliberate.

So what's the law in the city about headlights and why don't taxi's and buses have their on unless they are saving the bulb.....How lame!

bradlyhale said:
According to this site, it's the only train line in Argentina that isn't.

Tren de la Costa was started in the Menem years. There was quite a lot of optimist then and a feeling that the country was becoming 1st world. As a result there was investment in the infrastructure. Unfortunately the economy turned sour (nothing like the "crisis" of a decade ago or so). I think it was the
"Tequila effect". No sooner than Tren de la Costa started it was in trouble. I don't think they have ever received a subsidy as the project is much less real transport and more tourism. The fact that it terminates in Maipu without even a cross-platform connection prevents it from being integrated into the rail system. The pity is that the train does not begin at Retiro. Properly from Retiro run it could be a great plus for tourism - unfortunately these projects seldom ever get off the ground in Argentina. Look at the trolley / tram that runs from nowhere to nowhere on Alem. If it began in Retiro and ended in San Telmo, as planned, it would be fabulous for tourism and would be a useful service for people working in Puerto Madero. And one other example: there is a train from Constitucion to Ezeiza but guess what? It doesn't go to the airport! The rails are there. How hard could it be to tie it into the airport and buy some new or good second hand equipment?

Very good points Sergio.
There is also a very good argument for a rail service that would extend from Tigre and beyond to Nordelta.
The rate at which that place is growing would justify the expense in the end.
They've just built a 5 star Intercontinental Hotel there as well as a huge cinema and lord knows what else.
At the moment (we live quite near Nordelta) we are at the mercy of crappy combis and the Panamericana, which in itself is usually at the mercy of the dreaded piqueteros.

Nowhere to nowhere alem tram (with no riders ever) is my favorite!

Back