Tren de la Costa

sergio said:
The fact that it terminates in Maipu without even a cross-platform connection prevents it from being integrated into the rail system. The pity is that the train does not begin at Retiro. Properly from Retiro run it could be a great plus for tourism - unfortunately these projects seldom ever get off the ground in Argentina.

Not physically possible to connect the two lines, and doesn't really make that much sense. The FFCC Mitre is Argentine Broad Gauge (~1.67 m) while the Tren de la Costa was remodeled in International Standard Gauge (~1.435 m).

The Tren de la Costa mirrors pretty much the Tigre line, and never had the kind of ridership of that one, which is why they decided to turn it into a tourist train (also due to its scenic route).

As far as a tren to NorDelta goes, I heard that they (TBA) were thinking about using the Diesel Hauled Double Decker prototype they had made to run a direct route, because seriously, I doubt people who choose to live in Nordelta would ride a train with "commoners". I doubt that anything will ever come of it though.

sergio said:
Tren de la Costa was started in the Menem years. There was quite a lot of optimist then and a feeling that the country was becoming 1st world. As a result there was investment in the infrastructure. Unfortunately the economy turned sour (nothing like the "crisis" of a decade ago or so). I think it was the
"Tequila effect".

Well, actually the 2001 crisis was in a great part the result of Menem's policies and economic model a couple of years before.

GuilleGee said:
Not physically possible to connect the two lines, and doesn't really make that much sense. The FFCC Mitre is Argentine Broad Gauge (~1.67 m) while the Tren de la Costa was remodeled in International Standard Gauge (~1.435 m).

The Tren de la Costa mirrors pretty much the Tigre line, and never had the kind of ridership of that one, which is why they decided to turn it into a tourist train (also due to its scenic route).

As far as a tren to NorDelta goes, I heard that they (TBA) were thinking about using the Diesel Hauled Double Decker prototype they had made to run a direct route, because seriously, I doubt people who choose to live in Nordelta would ride a train with "commoners". I doubt that anything will ever come of it though.

The line had been abandoned -- not sure when. Presumably because of low ridership. Tren de la Coast developed it not as serious transportation but to serve as a catalyst for tourism, shopping, restaurants etc. along the line. The right-of-way was completely rebuilt and could have been constructed to be compatible with the Mitre Line that goes into Retiro. A direct train to Retiro makes a lot of sense and would have many more tourist possibilities. You really have to make an effort to ride the Tren de la Costa if you are coming from the center. It's a shame. Now the Tren de la Costa has fallen into decay - sad.

Gringoboy said:
Very good points Sergio.
There is also a very good argument for a rail service that would extend from Tigre and beyond to Nordelta.
The rate at which that place is growing would justify the expense in the end.
They've just built a 5 star Intercontinental Hotel there as well as a huge cinema and lord knows what else.
At the moment (we live quite near Nordelta) we are at the mercy of crappy combis and the Panamericana, which in itself is usually at the mercy of the dreaded piqueteros.

In the 1990's there was a short lived DIFERENCIAL service that ran on the Tigre line to Retiro. Just a few trains a day that made limited stops in Zona Norte. They charged a higher fare for what was really a 1st class service but for Peronist polulist reasons a lot of Argentines shy away from the use of the term "first class". Diferencial sounds less class oriented even though it's the same thing. There used to be a lot of city buses that offered this service -- mainly the ones that went to places like Olivos and beyond. As someone else mentioned, most professional type people don't want to ride trains or buses with poor and blue collar people (on some lines it is downright dangerous) so a better service would haver to be established but I don't see the K government likely to support that especially since they don't even provide decent basic service for the masses.

Back