tv expert

katti

Registered
I am looking for an electrician/tecnical person, who knows a lot about TV, PAL and PAL N, about a european Bose that cannot read argentine DVD's, about HD, about cablevision and direct TV. Any suggestions??

I'm not an expert in anything but I'll try to help.

Your DVD player can't play the local DVD probably because it's from Europe and set to play only DVD's from that zone. DVD's and players are zoned around the world. The solution would be to have the DVD player modified locally to play multi-zones or buy a DVD player here. Why they are zoned
is discussed in the following link.

http://www.infrench.com/Merchant2/dvd_zones.htm

What are your other questions regarding PAL, TV, and the various TV services here.

I have a PAL-N to PAL B converter. They sell for 195 pesos new. I bought it less than two weeks ago to use with a TV from Europe, but when I pushed a button on the front of the TV I got the picture in full color without using the converter (connected to digital cable TV). It was more than three days after I bought it so I could not return it to the store.

It should work with your DVD player.

You are welcome to try it without obligation to buy.

Send me a PM.

I am able to play DVDS I bought in Europe with the DVD player I bought here (without a converter)...a basic Panasonic multi region player.

steveinbsas said:
I have a PAL-N to PAL B converter. They sell for 195 pesos new. I bought it less than two weeks ago to use with a TV from Europe, but when I pushed a button on the front of the TV I got the picture in full color without using the converter (connected to digital cable TV). It was more than three days after I bought it so I could not return it to the store.

It should work with your DVD player.

You are welcome to try it without obligation to buy.

Send me a PM.

I am able to play DVDS I bought in Europe with the DVD player I bought here (without a converter)...a basic Panasonic multi region player.

Most TVs bought in the last few years are multi system anyway, pal n pal b ntsc and stuff are problems of the past

One more thing, where did you buy that converter? legally you have at least 5 days to return the product if, for any reason, you don't want it, some stores give you a whole month to return it but legally you are able to return it within 5 days, worst case scenario they give you store credit

Do a Google search for "DVD player unlock codes" and click around a bit and you might find an unlock code/hack for your DVD player. I have a couple of DVD players from the US down here that I managed to unlock myself after a bit of googling.

ssr said:
Do a Google search for "DVD player unlock codes" and click around a bit and you might find an unlock code/hack for your DVD player. I have a couple of DVD players from the US down here that I managed to unlock myself after a bit of googling.

good advise, google a lot you might find the unlock code, sometimes you have to download a firmware, burn it to a CD and pop it in pressing a combination of keys so the dvd updates its firmware from the CD and unlocks the zone limitation

post more questions!

Old TVs are pretty much useless here. We brought and old Sony with us that was in prefect working order when we left. In the end even the converter didn't work on it. It was supposed to work with Direct TV (NTSC). I gave it to Steve & I think he hasn't been able to make it work with that either.

If it's a new TV then I would try the converter.

AFAIR: HD is not readily available here. Direct TV is satellite broadcast in NTSC and mostly programs from the US. I have basic Cablevision. It came with the apartment. It's fine. But I watch mostly DVDs or stuff on the internet.

The DVDs I would assume are as stated above the problem of regions. I also have to unlock my DVD player (and my mac) as now I have DVDs from 3 different zone's & it's a PITA.

Almost all DVD players can be unlocked. If you browse the internet putting you make and model number into google with dergionalise, it should come up somewhere.
It is usually just a matter of pressing a few buttons and not that difficult.
I de regionalised my JVC player so that I could bring home DVDs from Spain and Argentina. It went wrong the first time and everything came out green:confused:.
So I went through the procedure again and it was ok the second time.

We also bought a converter, one of about 180$, which didn't work. We got another one, about 500$, we can watch tv over the converter : we now have to work with a remote control with 10 buttons and cannot use our tv remote control. With this the Bose doesn't work. The quality of the image is terrible. So no one really watches tv, only to watch the DVD's we bought in Europe which we all saw 100 times.

Our TV is a brand new HD model, PAL.

We are tired of looking for solutions, and my teenage kids are dying to see a good movie.... that's why I am looking for an expert. The electricians we know are good men but have never heard of PAL tv and have never seen a Bose system...

Back