Two men found stabbed to death in Palermo

genialf said:
The brother of one of my workmates had someone break into their house in Zona Norte and just stole a cellphone and a wallet. The thing is that his wife and little girl were there. I can't imagine the fear that woman must've transmitted to the little girl. Sad.

Just a little update. They were so scared and since she was pregnant, they moved into his parents house while they figured out what to do. Last night burglars entered his parents house and shot at him. They fortinately missed him by an inch. Terrifying stuff.

Agree with AlexanderB, this forum can get you down, and I'm guilty of wallowing on here as well.

I got robbed at gunpoint by a some idiot....I was out jogging with my Argentine friend, and he came out of nowhere. Pretty stupid when you think about it....what do runners have?.....a good watch maybe....no money...
This happened outside of the gated communities by Pilar (suburbs of BA).

Then, along the street of GURRUCHAGA, near Honduras they broke into my car and stole everything....worst part was trying to find a replacement window...thanks to import restrictions it took me over a week.

Friends of mine were robbed along Armenia by the "moto chorros".....they fought and they ended up fleeing pretty quick.

Another guy I know, was "taken for a ride" when he came out of a club, BY A TAXI, they stopped in the parks of Palermo and literally beat the crap out of him....he needed dental work and stitches....

I have been here in Argentina for 14 years and EACH year it gets worse!....time to move to Uruguay!:mad:

Don't be scared. you just have to be careful and never transit some streets at night. Always be with someone or in an Avenue with a lot of people.

AlexanderB said:
My sentiments exactly.

I'm no delusional idealist, and admittedly, I didn't spend that much time in BA (a few weeks) before deciding to make my way over there. But reading this forum, one would really think it's an armed camp/famished war zone/Somalia. It's not. At most, it's a lively city with a good deal of petty crime and theft. Welcome to Latin America.

I'm far more likely to physically suffer from depression reading what most of the older, cranky forum members have to say when they get on their crime hobby horse (assisted by their beloved conservative media) than I am to get assaulted on the street.

On the unlikely chance that I'm unspeakably wrong, I can't stop it anyway, so, I'll concede victory when I'm bleeding on the curb.

I don't think anyone has posted saying this is the most dangerous city in the world (far from it).

But it does get exhausting constantly having to worry about crime. I parked my car on the street today b/c there was no garage around and the entire time I was worrying about someone breaking into it. Every time I leave an ATM, I have to doublecheck to make sure no one is waiting outside. When I walk down the street, I can't answer my blackberry b/c I know I'm running the risk of someone robbing me or attempting to (it's happened before). I won't leave my car on the street if at all possible b/c of the chance of someone breaking into it or stealing it.

Live here for 4 or 5 or 6 years. Then see if the constant worrying or paranoia start to affect you. I have yet to meet anyone it hasn't. It wears you down after a while. That's the tone you hear in a lot of people's posts.

It sucks but that's the reality.

So today I woke up feeling pretty good. Today was my first day at a new job, and a fairly good one. It took me 5 months of job searching, sending resumes, nearly 20 interviews, and today was the day. I get on the #12 bus at the plaza del Congreso, going towards Palermo. About 5 minutes into the ride, I hear an argument at the back of the bus, someone got their wallet stolen and an older man was acusing a younger boy of pickpocketing him. The driver stopped the bus and the kid started yelling like crazy, several police officers came around quickly and took the man and the boy off the bus. The driver got back to wheel and took off after talking to the officers for a few minutes. So we make our way down Callao and turn onto Santa Fe, I get off near the Jardín Botanico and on Santa Fe close the the police station on Gurruchaga, there is a woman sitting on the ground crying / yelling holding something in her hand and waving it around. She got her purse yanked off her arm as she was getting out of her car and thrown to the ground. Again several police officers, the the PAMI ambulance came and took her away. Nice way to start the day, gives me a lot of hope for the future.

Davidglen77 said:
So today I woke up feeling pretty good. Today was my first day at a new job, and a fairly good one. It took me 5 months of job searching, sending resumes, nearly 20 interviews, and today was the day. I get on the #12 bus at the plaza del Congreso, going towards Palermo. About 5 minutes into the ride, I hear an argument at the back of the bus, someone got their wallet stolen and an older man was acusing a younger boy of pickpocketing him. The driver stopped the bus and the kid started yelling like crazy, several police officers came around quickly and took the man and the boy off the bus. The driver got back to wheel and took off after talking to the officers for a few minutes. So we make our way down Callao and turn onto Santa Fe, I get off near the Jardín Botanico and on Santa Fe close the the police station on Gurruchaga, there is a woman sitting on the ground crying / yelling holding something in her hand and waving it around. She got her purse yanked off her arm as she was getting out of her car and thrown to the ground. Again several police officers, the the PAMI ambulance came and took her away. Nice way to start the day, gives me a lot of hope for the future.

No you must be mistaken! You must be hallucinating! This city is awesome! Only this forum talks about crime! It doesn't really exist. Crime? What's that-a fútbol team?

Back