Two men found stabbed to death in Palermo

CarverFan said:
Who believes the statistics anyway? When we had an armed robbery, the police said they would call us to come down to the comisaria and make a signed statement. They never bothered. Waste of. How many of those crimes expats have reported on these pages went further than our ears?
In UK, a police artist would have come round and made an artist's impression of the guy who robbed us. It would have been on the news, maybe featured in a programme like Crimewatch. He may even have been caught by now, at the very least, the neighbourhood would have been warned.

The statistics are not on robbery (often manipulated and under-reported) but on homicide that are far more accurate and harder to manipulate. Of course some people prefer to discuss without looking to the statistics so they can make a point without having to prove it...

im from south africa (34 homicides) VS. Argentina (5.5). I guess Im still better off here. :/

expatinowncountry said:
I think it may help to put some number to this. This map http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Homicide-world.png shows homicide rates per 100,000 inhabitants per year. So, it is true if you are from Wisconsin you should feel safer in Madison than in BA but if you are from Texas (or California) think twice.

Of course, this is not to say that crime seems to be increasing in Buenos Aires and it is not longer the safe city it is used to be three decades ago.

expatinowncountry said:
The statistics are not on robbery (often manipulated and under-reported) but on homicide that are far more accurate and harder to manipulate. Of course some people prefer to discuss without looking to the statistics so they can make a point without having to prove it...

This map is kind of like a starting point, but really doesn't tell you much about safety in certain areas.

If we went into the ghettos of Houston and Dallas, then yeah, it would be worse than walking around Plaza San Martin or in Palermo.

But if you go into the nice areas of Houston and Dallas, you don't have people getting knifed to death taking pictures of monuments or two dead guys being found 200 to 300 yards apart.

Here, the nice areas are still not safe. In the States, there's much more segregation of war zones & green zones.

How's that for addressing the map?

Well I was just trying to put across the attitude here towards crime. Personally I wouldn't trust any statistics here. They are government controlled.

Napoleon said:
This map is kind of like a starting point, but really doesn't tell you much about safety in certain areas.

If we went into the ghettos of Houston and Dallas, then yeah, it would be worse than walking around Plaza San Martin or in Palermo.

But if you go into the nice areas of Houston and Dallas, you don't have people getting knifed to death taking pictures of monuments or two dead guys being found 200 to 300 yards apart.

Here, the nice areas are still not safe. In the States, there's much more segregation of war zones & green zones.

How's that for addressing the map?

Perhaps you missed the Supreme Court report on homicides in 2010 - it basically identified two cities within CF, comunas 1,4,7,8 where the homicide rate was over 12 and the rest of the city where the rate was pretty close to 3.

The fact that you haven't heard of stabbings reported, while somewhat hard to believe, probably has more to do with where the crimes are committed and/or the identity & place of residence of the victims.

fifs2 said:
Nothing to do with money just no desire to contribute to the madness of an armed world...and as a mother of a 3yr old the reality that the kids are more likely to blow their brains out with a gun hidden in the house than an adult be able to use it to any successful end in the event of a break-in.

When the armed thugs come around, be sure to let them know you've opted out of the "madness"; that'll show 'em.

It seems to me that Palermo/Bario Norte are the areas where one is most likely to get robbed, I have lived in Buenos Aires, in San Telmo for 8 years and have never been robbed. I am often out late, returning from milongas, and usually I walk home from one twice a week in in Humbert#, Constitucion which is considered a bad area.
Conversely I have a north American friend who has an apartment in Recoleta who does not live here, only visits for a total of about 4 weeks per year and over the same time as me he has been robbed 3 times. I would pint out that he never uses public transport and goes just about everywhere by taxi. I don't know if it is because he looks so north American or if it is the area, this is just my experience.
I would just recommend that one takes care, especially in busses and trains, just use a bit of intelligence.
I appreciate the level of petty crime is higher here than the UK and probably the USA and nobody is immune from it, but it mostly it is up to oneself to take a bit of care, not to make oneself attractive to robbers, for example; why wear a watch?, you don't want to look as if you might be an attractive subject to rob. Walking around and flashing your valuable iPhone etc. of even appearing to be the person who is likely to be carrying such items with you will make you all the more vulnerable.

Ladies and Gentlemen.....I have lived here for 6 months per year now for the past 5 years....2 times I have attempted to be robbed with the old trick of being sprayed with juice colored to look like pidgeon caca....It did not work...as I yelled for the police in broad daylight and the hooligans were caught both times. I have learned to never ever be out at night walking anymore...PERIOD.....Large cities everywhere see us as sitting ducks late at night....It is also smart to carry little cash, no flashy jewelry and only credit cards.....Carrying cameras at night is a definite no no....
Fore armed is fore warned....

maydesantelmo said:
for example; why wear a watch?, you don't want to look as if you might be an attractive subject to rob. Walking around and flashing your valuable iPhone etc. of even appearing to be the person who is likely to be carrying such items with you will make you all the more vulnerable.
Why wear a watch? To tell time.

And i'm not sure any of us are "flashing" our iphones, we're probably just taking a phone call, it is what phones are for after all.

I don't think the problem with BsAs is that the crime is higher than anywhere else in the world (because its not). The problem is:

1. Apathy
2. Acceptance of crime as though its normal.
3. Police not giving a rat's ass about it.
4. Police committing the criminal acts themselves (whether they're underpaid or not, it doesn't matter).

And there're many more reasons (one of them being, always wondering what the victim did wrong. No one gives a s*** about the criminal!!). We live in a country where crime is apparently increasing. No street corner nor any neighborhood is safe from criminal activity of not only professional robbers and murderers but government representatives themselves yet the President of the country has found the time to worry about the Falklands. She has wasted her time telling people cooked up job figures and economy figures and inflation percentages. We have a mayor (or Jefe or whatever his freakin' title is) who is busy fighting against the Subte fiasco (I don't blame him, I wouldn't want that dump of a system either) while not giving a crap about the crime level in the city.

What's worse is that people in this country go along with all that non-important bull****. Its easy for people to just shrug their shoulders and go "ah es Argentina!" when you talk about crime yet they can't accept that they freakin' lost in 1982 and are always ready to yell "Las Malvinas son Argentinas" as loud as they can whenever they get the chance to be riled up with government support.

What the hell's the matter with people here? I don't know but they sure don't seem to realize that they're driving this beautiful country with a lot of potential down to hell and they don't even give a crap about it.

Rant over for now.

Back