types of Visas

realself

Registered
Hi, I have been here most of a year, now need to get a one year visa of some type; have read (or tried to, mi espanol es como nada) the .gob.ar website on visas but it's a confusing tangle. Can anyone tell me the basic types of visas possible and basic requirements for each? Don't have a company sponsoring me for work, and I can't document U$D 1000 being poured into my bank account each month ('cos it's not).

Don't need in-depth detail on each type, but I want to get an idea on what´s doable and what´s not. Any help, insights, experience would be appreciated.

Here are the types of visas:

C.1-Trabajador:..........................................Already ruled out.
C.2-Estudiante:..........................................Doubtful for those whose espanol es nada.
C.3-Religioso:.............................................Perhaps you can pray for this one.
C.4- Rentista:.............................................Young with foreign income.
C.5- Pensionado:........................................Old with foreign income.
C.6- Deportistas y Artistas:.........................Sports pro or artist?
C.7- Científico y Personal Especializado:.......Are you an Einstein or have a specality?

Even though you probably won't qualify for an annually renewable visa, perhaps you can consider yourself fortunate to want to "stay" in a country that "allows" multiple entries without staying out of the country for even a day, let alone three to six months like the US or EU.

Steve, you forgot the investment visa, which is what we are currently using. Es muy complicado, pero bueno.

SS, does realself sound like he/she has $35,000 dollars to "invest" in Argentina...or the "skills" (language, among others) to deal with the Argentine employees...or the government itself?

With a deposit of that same $35,000 (possibly less) into a "trust" account (in the US) that pays out $1000 a month it should be possible to qualify for a visa rentista, but that's already been ruled out.

Steveinbsas and soulskier (good name), thanks for your help. Steve your rundown of choices is what I wanted, although mi espanol es un poco mas que nada; puedo hablar con la mayoria de la gente sin demisiado problemas, etc; still, estudiante would be difficult. Not ruling out a visa rentista, with some loans. I am an artist in fact,
( http://nickthabit.com ) but I think Artista y Deportiva is a fifteen day visa, no?

steveinbsas said:
SS, does realself sound like he/she has $35,000 dollars to "invest" in Argentina...or the "skills" (language, among others) to deal with the Argentine employees...or the government itself?

With a deposit of that same $35,000 (possibly less) into a "trust" account (in the US) that pays out $1000 a month it should be possible to qualify for a visa rentista, but that's already been ruled out.

I was just adding to your list without judgement.

Thanks to Attorney in BA here is a link which contains detailed info about the various types of visas in English:

http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas...ersiones_extranjeras/permanecer_argentina.php

Please note that the annual visa fee is now $600 pesos and if your income (for the visa rentista or pensionado) is in dollars it is not necessary to have any additional documentation converting the dollar amounts into Argentine pesos.

Steve your list is great. But I do agree with SS. Perhaps you can just edit you list & put the investment one there, then your fab list can be "the source post" we can send others to who may ask this question.

Thanks Mini, I think it's better to forward them the link to the list from buenosaires.gov.ar which is in English. More information about the investor visa appears in another section of this site.

http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas...ersiones_extranjeras/permanecer_argentina.php

In any case, here's the list with the addendum:

Here are the types of visas:

C.1-Trabajador:..........................................Already ruled out.
C.2-Estudiante:....................................... ...Doubtful for those whose espanol es nada.
C.3-Religioso:.............................................Perha ps you can pray for this one.
C.4- Rentista:......................................... ....Young with foreign income.
C.5- Pensionado:....................................... .Old with foreign income.
C.6- Deportistas y Artistas:.........................Sports pro or artist?
C.7- Científico y Personal Especializado:.......Are you an Einstein or have a specality?

There is also the "investment" visa which entails a lot of paperwork and hiring local help to work in the operation of the business. The professional services of a lawyer and accountant are also necessary. I think an initial investment over $100,000 pesos is required. Some have cited a figure of $35,000 USD, but that was the dollar amount commonly referred to when the exchange rate was close to three to one, so the actual dollar amount might be much lower than $35,000 today. Anyone going this route might be wise to have an additional $35,000 (if not more) to live on for three years while the business takes off...or tanks. Based on soulskier's recent post it should also be noted that this type of visa is temporary and cannot be converted to permanent on the third renewal as is possible with other temporary visas based on foreign income.

Perhaps soulskier can add more information about this type of visa.

Be careful about visas. I posted elsewhere on this forum about a US citizen I know who paid a lawyer and applied for a work visa. They gave him a temporary one, then when that expired in 2 months, they rejected it, changed his status to "irregular" and ordered his deportation and banned him from reentering argentina for FIVE years. The lawyer filed an appeal and the expat is waiting to learn his fate.

Does anyone think that this person can fight the deportation? Does anyone know a good source of information about how to fight this? Should he go to the US embassy? Are there any free legal services for immigrants facing deportation? Can any knowledgeable member offer to speak with him about this?

Back