U.S. debit cards

Foreign debit cards are treated essentially like credit cards here. If the store says they only accept debit, they will not accept a foreign debit card. Also you cannot do cash back in supermarkets. When it scans it gets run like credit.

Currency conversion fee of 1-3% is customary and not itemized
(There are some exceptions like Schwab and Capital One debit cards)

Why would you see an ATM fee when you are doing a purchase?

Refers to the $500 pesos fee when you use an ATM .. not in a purchase...! only $500 pesos

Thank you for all the replies. I was not so concerned about the fees. This is my feedback: Today I used a Chase debit card without any problem at a store and also used a US credit card that did not work at Farmacity but it DID work at OpenFarma, I wonder why.

Thank you for all the replies. I was not so concerned about the fees. This is my feedback: Today I used a Chase debit card without any problem at a store and also used a US credit card that did not work at Farmacity but it DID work at OpenFarma, I wonder why.
For the credit card you have to make sure they use the "Posnet" machine. Supermarkets usually have one that is shared between cashiers (wireless can be carried from one to the other). Most Arg cards can be run in the regular machine which all cashiers have. However, foreign cards and some Arg cards require the Posnet machine.

Back