UBA on my own VS transfer/exchange program

Darnol91

Registered
I will be going to Buenos Aires this summer for two months to study spanish at UBA, as of now I'm going through a program called Mente Argentina and the cost is USD $3000. That includes my apartment, gym access, a cell phone, books, tuition, copy of official transcripts, a language partner?, and a few other small things such as airport pick up and tango classes. I wanted to get a few more opinions on if I should just go about doing all this myself. Also, I've tried sending an email to UBA about three times, with no reply. Does anyone know of an email that I will get a response from and that could answer some of my exchange questions? (preferably english-speaking) Thanks for all the help, and all advice is appreciated!
-David

Sorry David, welcome to the UBA experience. You'll hear from various people that the only way to get things sorted out there is to be in Buenos Aires and essentially go around harrassing everyone until you get an answer. Email probably not going to cut it -- have you tried phoning repeatedly at least?

EmilyR (search the forum) is studying here -- I believe at UBA -- she might have some tips for you!

If you are going to be here for just 2 months, I think your best bet it to stick to your package. At UBA the chances of getting your email replied and in English are slim to say the least. If your total stay is 2 months, you will need at least half od that time to understand the basics of UBA´s bureaucracy ... I am an ex UBA student btw :)

Doesn't sound an outrageous price depending on what the apartment is like (probably 75% of the cost of the things you mention). The UBA is not the worlds most client facing organisation, but the teaching is thoroughly excellent. You get several different teachers per week, and from the two courses I did they all seemed pleasant, enthusiastic and much better than I expected. I hadn't studied anything for 20 odd years and reckon that I learn't more in each class than I did with a private tutor for a fraction of the cost.

Level 6 next year!!

I can't help you with your questions/problems, but that price isn't that bad for all they they are throwing in. And the fact that you don't have to think about a thing is extremely nice. If you're lucky, you'll just start feeling like a bit of a local by the end of your two months. So what I'm saying is that to be steered through all of those things without having to figure them out on your own and in just two months time is pretty nice.

Also, I have to say that I had never considered using a picture of myself on the toilet as a profile pic, but now...

Thanks for all the advice! Haha, and idk how to take that? But thanks! I try to be a positive influence when i can.. haha But, I'm not on the toilet. I was at a swim meet.

Darnol91 said:
Thanks for all the advice! Haha, and idk how to take that? But thanks! I try to be a positive influence when i can.. haha But, I'm not on the toilet. I was at a swim meet.
Lmao, I also thought the pic looked... weird... ideas of toilets crossed my mind ;o)

nikad said:
If you are going to be here for just 2 months, I think your best bet is to stick to your package.

If you are only going to be here as a student for such a short time this sounds like good advice, especially when applied to relations/relationships with Argentine women.:D

Seems fair for an all-inclusive package, as long as they don't dump you in some hole of an apt. 50 minutes away, or with a host family that steals your stuff (both true stories from Bridge Linguatec students.) Have you researched the program's reputation, or tried contacting any alumni? Hopefully they can give you a better idea of what to expect from the housing, classes, administration, etc.

steveinbsas said:
If you are only going to be here as a student for such a short time this sounds like good advice, especially when applied to relations/relationships with Argentine women.:D

Haha, thanks for the advice! I'll definitely remember that!

Back