Uber Is Live In Ba

estebandepraga:.
In dynamic,growing economies like the U.S. (where Camberiu lives) these modern technological changes in products and services are expected and even welcomed.Although they may obliterate some jobs the economy itself is able to absorb those left unemployed in other areas and accomodate itself to these changes.
In Argentina due to 12 years of private sector job stagnation attributable to the Ks populist/statist economic policies these changes a still somewhat premature,in my view.As the economy is not yet able to do the same.The times may have been "a-changing" in other parts of the world but here they were stuck on "hold" for over a decade which far from being "won" was irremediably "lost".
Close to catastrophic given that time is an irreplaceable resource.

Yes I know we were in a time freeze here but just as the increases in just about everything have slapped us all up and we now are seeing the light(mind you we need strong sun glasses at this time!) but uber is amongst those changes these days in my humble opinion! Hotels are still generating business despite airBnB, even here in lagging-behind Argentina.

Why am I having to work xxx hours a week to pay for all these money saving/labor saving devices? Computer/smart phone/router/modem/Internet/data plan.....

I agree with Esteban's post. According to CABA authorities there are 40,000 taxis legally operating in BA. Only a minority of them were demonstrating yesterday throughout the city by blocking major streets. The rest were out working. What did taxi drivers think they were going to accomplish by picketing 26 major crossings. On a RAINY DAY to boot! Isn't that when they can earn more money? Uber seized the opportunity to launch their promo.....free rides until Wed.....and FREE publicity for their service. Touche!

City authorities threatened to block the whatsapp web. I don't know if that it's even technologically possible. But if accomplished, it will anger the thousands (if not millions) of ARG users who regularly rely on the free messaging capabilities of whatsapp for many other things besides ordering a taxi. For example, ordering takeout food which will affect economically businesses who provide delivery service. What are city politicians thinking of when they make these statements on major TV networks? They also entered the attorney offices which represent Uber in BA with a seize and seizure order and removed "documents". What could those documents contain? "Verguenza ajena".

The taxi industry needs to stop the bellyaching and come out of the caves. Develop an app to compete with Uber and Cabify. Accept credit and debit payments. And foremost, cease scamming passengers by taking longer routes. Rotten apples spoil the barrel.

Yes I know we were in a time freeze here but just as the increases in just about everything have slapped us all up and we now are seeing the light(mind you we need strong sun glasses at this time!) but uber is amongst those changes these days in my humble opinion! Hotels are still generating business despite airBnB, even here in lagging-behind Argentina.
Why this happens in Argentina while Uber works in most major capitals?? Now Restaurants are protesting against food trucks because they represent an unfair competition??? While food trucks are a rage in Paris and USA, Canada....? Argentina is different :rolleyes: Also they want to regulate Closed Door restaurants as being potentially dangerous a health hazard without bromatological controls.

I have a question to those who took a Uber ride here already. The Uber did not accept my argentinian City debit card. I still need to use my Amex card issued in the States to get a ride. They also got a PayPal option. Anybody manage to use their local card here for the Uber account? Or do you, guys, use the PayPal?

Clarification:
I totally agree with esteban's post.What I am saying is that the TIMING for these changes is a little economically premature.The majority of Argentines STILL can not and do not use these types of services.This is the reason for the adverse reactions of some of the cab drivers and the gov't.
Most Argentines react more gradually to economic changes. Why the rush? Wait 'til the time is right for most of the consuming public and avoid the unnecessary flack.

I agree with Esteban's post. According to CABA authorities there are 40,000 taxis legally operating in BA. Only a minority of them were demonstrating yesterday throughout the city by blocking major streets. The rest were out working. What did taxi drivers think they were going to accomplish by picketing 26 major crossings. On a RAINY DAY to boot! Isn't that when they can earn more money? Uber seized the opportunity to launch their promo.....free rides until Wed.....and FREE publicity for their service. Touche!

City authorities threatened to block the whatsapp web. I don't know if that it's even technologically possible. But if accomplished, it will anger the thousands (if not millions) of ARG users who regularly rely on the free messaging capabilities of whatsapp for many other things besides ordering a taxi. For example, ordering takeout food which will affect economically businesses who provide delivery service. What are city politicians thinking of when they make these statements on major TV networks? They also entered the attorney offices which represent Uber in BA with a seize and seizure order and removed "documents". What could those documents contain? "Verguenza ajena".

The taxi industry needs to stop the bellyaching and come out of the caves. Develop an app to compete with Uber and Cabify. Accept credit and debit payments. And foremost, cease scamming passengers by taking longer routes. Rotten apples spoil the barrel.

You make some good points but fail to address three of the major issues

1/ Uber is not paying any taxes in Argentina at the moment / the taxi drivers are

2/ Are you insured whn you ride with Uber / taxi drivers are insured

3/ What is the standard of the Uber driver / all taxi drivers must have a professional licence.

Maybe the city should reduce taxes for taxi drivers...? Sounds OK but then they would increase other taxes like ABL...

ASperansky - If you are using an ARG cc or debit card thru Visa, the transaction is currently not being accepted for Uber rides.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1889684-en-medio-de-su-disputa-con-las-autoridades-uber-sera-gratis-por-cinco-dias-en-buenos-aires
.......desde su lanzamiento hubo algunos problemas con el procesamiento de los pagos por tarjeta de crédito. De forma aleatoria, otros pasajeros reportaron en las redes sociales sus problemas con otras tarjetas, como Mastercard o American Express.
Desde Prisma Medios de Pago, la compañía que tiene a cargo Visa, dijeron que Uber no estaba registrado como comercio en la Argentina y que, por este motivo, a varios usuarios se les rebotó la operación. Por el lado de MasterCard la compañía no estuvo disponible para realizar comentarios sobre el tema.
But it will function if the card is a Visa issued in other countries. The reason is that Visa Arg contracts with Prisma Medios de Pago, an Arg intermediary, for the transfer of electronic funds. Prisma has taken the position not to provide the service until further notice. But users report it works with Arg issued Mastercard cc/debit cards.

Back