Uk-Argentina Marriage

I think they only want birth certificates for applicants under 16 or for the children of applicants. I ordered an original NSW birth certificate online (and got it apostilled by the Australian consul) but in the end Migraciones only asked for my passport as proof of identity (translated and legalized mind you).

I lived in Argentina for three years and had a foreigners/temp resident DNI (the purple book) plus I have a CUIT and CUIL.

Just before leaving the country, I married a wonderful argentine lady and we are currently living in Ireland.

My DNI expired (as it has to be renewed each year) and every time we visit Buenos Aires, immigration gives me a hard time about this.

So I wondered if I could get my DNI renewed here from abroad or if I'm eligible for a residents DNI now that I'm married to a national.

Any guidance greatly appreciated!

So I wondered if I could get my DNI renewed here from abroad or if I'm eligible for a residents DNI now that I'm married to a national.

I don't think you can renew your DNI based your being a 'temporary resident of Argentina' being abroad. It looks contradictory.
However, as the spouse of an Argentine national, you can claim Argentine citizenship (even abroad) and then have a DNI like all nationals. I don't understand why you are showing your expired DNI to Argentine customs if you are just visiting Argentina. Just enter like any other tourist!

Here's my experience getting DNI as spouse - and parent - of Argentine nationals.

Need the originals of the following:

- Birth Certificate. (I was told that without the birth certificate I'd have been sent home).
- Passport.
- Criminal background check from home country (as well as any country in which you spent >6 months).
- Criminal background check from Argentina.
- DNI of Argentine relative.
- Proof of address: Utility bill in your name, or Certificate of Residency from police.
- 3 photos.

All of the above must be photocopied. Your passport needs a full set of copies of all pages including blank ones.

All documents not in Spanish must be translated by a certified translator and the translation must be legalized by the Colegio de Traductores Publicos de Buenos Aires. Normally the translator goes and takes care of that last step for you for an extra fee, or you negotiate it as part of the package.

Legalization:
Any documents issued by/in countries that are party to the Hague convention (example: USA or UK) must bear an apostille from the authorized authority of the issuing country. In case of USA, that's usually by the Secretary of State of the issuing state. In the UK, it's centralised: info here.

Any documents issued by/in countries that are not party to the Hague convention (example: Canada) must be authenticated by the authorized authority of the issuing country, and that authentication must then be legalized by the Argentine consulate with jurisdiction where the documents were issued.
If your birth certificate or RCMP background check is from Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver, they must be authenticated with Foreign Affairs in Ottawa, then sent to the consulate in Toronto. If your papers are from Halifax, they get sent first to Foreign Affairs in Ottawa, then to the Arg consulate in Montreal.

Once you have all of that, you go the the immigration office at Av Antartida Argentina, stand in line for a bit, leave with a paper confirming that you have provisional residency (residencia precaria), and your DNI arrives by courier to your home a few weeks later.

Make sure you're on hand to receive it, as going to their office to fetch it yourself is not a pleasant experience. Trust me.

Your children will be Argentine by virtue of having an Argentine parent whether or not you do all of the above.

not sure if the birth certificate is needed now.

and depending on which Migraciones office you use they prefer to scan your passport , which means no need for photocopies!

If you need a sworn translator ( traductor publico ) I can highly recommend Jonathan Feldman. He is reliable, fast and efficient and will take care of both translating and legalizing any documentation that you need. His contact info: [email protected]

Can we get a final confirmation of required documents for residency via parent of child born in Argentina? Have any Australians been through the process?

Any updates on if a birth certificate is still required for residency via child?

I concur. In the new Pilar office in Zona norte, no more birth certificates and only at least for now, no photocopies. I am still getting my stuff together for the appt though.

Back