Uk-Argentina Marriage

davidtarbuck

Registered
Hi folks

I know there are many existing posts on visas and citizenship, many of which appear to comprise arguments and silly questions. Just like a real marriage then!

My question is if anyone has some reliable information on the route to citizenship for a UK citizen/resident marrying an Argentinian citizen/resident? I understand there is a general process - living for 2 years in Arg, obtaining a DNI, providing proven birth certificate etc. However is there a separate process for marrying an Argentinian which is different than this? My fiancee is Argentinian by birth and lives in BA. I am there 4 months a year at present.

I only want to apply for Arg citizenship to make life easier travelling between the two countries and for the future (children), and also only if Arg recognises dual citizenship (which the UK does).

Thanks for any advice you all can offer, including useful links.

Next stop when I return to BA; British Embassy!

Best wishes, David

Hey David!

I had just moved from the US and got married to an Argentinian national. Here is the website that I used to leading me in the right directions when applying for residency. Unfortunately you do have to wait 2 years to get full citizenship if i'm not mistaken but if you do get permanent residency it should not be hard going back and forth from each country.

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesibleingles/?nomercosur_permanente

Every non-argentine document must be apostilled and translated please do keep in mind

Hope this helps!

Yes, Argentina recognises dual citizenship. My father-in-law has Argentine and Spanish passports.

I'm from the UK and married an Argentine girl last year but only applied for permanent residency since I see no benefits to citizenship, other than being able to vote in national elections. Any queries about getting residency, just give me a shout (it's pretty simple). Maybe someone else will be able to advise re citizenship. Good luck with it

Hi folks

I know there are many existing posts on visas and citizenship, many of which appear to comprise arguments and silly questions. Just like a real marriage then!

My question is if anyone has some reliable information on the route to citizenship for a UK citizen/resident marrying an Argentinian citizen/resident? I understand there is a general process - living for 2 years in Arg, obtaining a DNI, providing proven birth certificate etc.

Hi David,

as spouse of an Argentine, you can apply for citizenship straight away after marrying. Same as residency. There is no practical advantage as to having citizenship vs. residency. Someone feels like joining the people of Argentina with a blue passport, others don't.
In fact, you can apply for residency (at Migraciones) and for citizenship (in Court) simultaneously. Citizenships takes about 6 months to obtain, whereas citizenship takes around 1-1.5 years. Having a DNI makes life simpler here, and since a residency application doesn't cost much, I'd apply for residency anyway just to get a DNI sooner. The citizenship paperwork takes more energies than residency. To get residency you basically need to go to Migraciones once, whereas for citizenship you need to make multiple visits to Court to follow up and bring "fresh" paper from time to time.

As for children and traveling with them, it doesn't make any difference if you are a citizen or not. If they are Argentine (born here = automatically Argentine) the usual paperwork applies.

Thanks all. Is there anything to be concerned about when registering for DNI? I pay tax in the UK on my earnings and don't wish to earn money in Argentina.

Thanks all. Is there anything to be concerned about when registering for DNI? I pay tax in the UK on my earnings and don't wish to earn money in Argentina.

There is no income requirement if you are applying for residency through marriage. When (if) applying for citizenship, though, they will ask for proof that you can support yourself financially.

I also got my DNI very quickly after being married.

I remember I had to get some certificate from the UK stating I had no criminal record. I did this online and had it posted to my mother and she posted it here. Serach on the gov.uk website. I got translated locally.

I also had to visit a police station twice in argentina and do the same for here.

Before and after that I went to the office "ministerio del interior oficina de migraciones" and they explained everything. I did it in Tucuman and they were really friendly and couldn´t help enough.

But similiarly like Joepf I didn´t see any benifit to citizenship unless you really want to vote.

I'm a UK citizen married to an Argentine. It's been years but it was all a bit of a faff to get my DNI and far from simple. Lots of visits to BA government buildings queuing,photocopying, getting documents translated plus several cock-ups along the way dragged the whole process out. It wasn't until a contact in the local council took pity on me and arranged a meeting to see someone with influence to get it sorted out that things started to move quickly in the right direction. All in all it took over a year to get it.
After that experience I haven't had any desire to get the passport but might if the process can be 'fast tracked'.

I am also interested in this topic - any Australians gone through the residency via child with Argentine partner route and can list what documents you actually require and what needs to be apostiled/translated etc? All the gas/water/electricity bills are in my girlfriends name. It says all documents must be original - that means I need to get another official 'copy' of my birth certificate??

Back